Questions on my lucid style

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
yupxitsxalex

Questions on my lucid style

Postby yupxitsxalex » 05 Feb 2015 06:06

I've been experiencing lucid dreams now for around 3 years though I did not realize that that is what they were until about a year ago. I only just today tried and successfully controlled one. Just a little background now for the questions

1. I can only enter a lucid dream state when taking an afternoon nap. Though this happens without fail every time. My question is how would I go about inducing lucid dreams at night?

2. While in a lucid dream state I can always feel my real body. I.e. I can feel where my body is resting on my bed and pillow. My question does this happen to anyone else.

3. While in my lucid dream state today once I took control of it I panicked and attempted to leave it and wake up by ripping my face away from where I could feel it was resting. After the third try I managed to do it finding myself in my bed I sat up and began to walk toward the bathroom only to realize I could still fell myself lying Down. After this I woke myself up by (this is weird and funny I know) by slapping myself in the face where I could feel myself lying down after the third or fourth attempt I managed to really wake up and rip my face away from the pillow(I say rip because in slapping myself I actually woke up and turned my head at the same time). My question is the multilayer phenomenon normal or has anyone had experience with this. Remember this is my first experience with the multilayer phenomenon because this is the first time I have had full control.

4. Simply a question. In the past my lucid dreams have seemed to last hours when I let them take me where I want though in the real world each one only lasted around 10 to 15 minutes. The dream I took control of only lasted around 10 minutes over I took control but u woke up around 30 minutes after the time I fell asleep. Is there a method to increase the length of lucid dreams once you take control.

Thanks Alex

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

bob23bk

Re: Questions on my lucid style

Postby bob23bk » 05 Feb 2015 09:03

1 - Have you tried setting an alarm according to your REM cycle? ie set an alarm for 6 hours after you go to sleep, but rather than get up, take an 'afternoon nap'

2 - I believe its often the case that people are aware of their real bodies while lucid, in fact, I often must distance myself from this awareness by focusing more intently on the dream or I will wake up.

3 - This is quite common as well, many people discuss FA (false awakening) and stress the importance of RC (reality checks) when first waking up just in case ;)

4 - Your dream probably would've lasted much longer had you not 'panicked and attempted to leave'. You can also try to focus more on the dream (senses- what you see, hear, smell, etc) or my personal favorite which many swear by - rub your hands together. It sounds silly, but give it a try.

DreamJumper

Postby DreamJumper » 06 Feb 2015 00:32

I just found this site today. I have been lucid dreaming since I was a kid and I am now retired. It has become part of my normal sleeping and happens at least 3 to 4 times a week. When my mother, who was about 700 miles away, was sick before she died, we would meet up in a dream and do some traveling. My sister would tell me about her 'traveling' all over the world with me and was not aware of what was going on. My mother did this all of time and was very upset when I told her what was happening to me.

1. I found that an afternoon nap is a great way to start a lucid dream. What I found is that having the TV running in the background is the way I know that I am asleep. For an 'on purpuse' night lucid dream I have the TV going in a different room. Almost without fail it will happen.

2. I have always been aware of my real body during these dreams. After reading some of the posts it looks like other people have the same experiences.

3. I finally learned about the false awaking when I was probably 12 to 14 (long time ago). It just happens. What I did find out just a few years ago is that under certain conditions others can hear you calling for help. My son was about to call 911 because he could hear me asking for help. That one time I had what I called a four level dream. I wasn't until coming out of the fourth level of lucid dreaming that I really woke up. By 4 levels I am talking about having to wake up from a dream in a dream in a dream, etc.
4. I have never tried to make a dream last longer. But I have been able to go back to the same one the next day or two. In the dreams I have been able to 'go places' and see what looks like real life situations.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 06 Feb 2015 10:35

yupxitsxalex wrote:4. Simply a question. In the past my lucid dreams have seemed to last hours when I let them take me where I want though in the real world each one only lasted around 10 to 15 minutes. The dream I took control of only lasted around 10 minutes over I took control but u woke up around 30 minutes after the time I fell asleep. Is there a method to increase the length of lucid dreams once you take control.

:D Dont go slapping yourself and trying to wake up if you want it longer.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

yupxitsxalex

Postby yupxitsxalex » 07 Feb 2015 07:18

I tried again yesterday without fail but also managed to have around 7 to 8 seperate dreams I find it is really really easy for me to have multiple LDs in a row if it's all during one period during the afternoon I every time I wake up I just turn my head and go back to sleep at which point I have an LD it's great if I lose my focus and wake up I don't have to get frustrated because I can't get back u can go right back to the same dream it's great

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 07 Feb 2015 09:13

yupxitsxalex wrote:I tried again yesterday without fail but also managed to have around 7 to 8 seperate dreams I find it is really really easy for me to have multiple LDs in a row if it's all during one period during the afternoon I every time I wake up I just turn my head and go back to sleep at which point I have an LD it's great if I lose my focus and wake up I don't have to get frustrated because I can't get back u can go right back to the same dream it's great

Called dream return and also extremely easy to do.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 07 Feb 2015 13:09

yupxitsxalex wrote:I tried again yesterday without fail but also managed to have around 7 to 8 seperate dreams I find it is really really easy for me to have multiple LDs in a row if it's all during one period during the afternoon I every time I wake up I just turn my head and go back to sleep at which point I have an LD it's great if I lose my focus and wake up I don't have to get frustrated because I can't get back u can go right back to the same dream it's great

Consciously getting back into your dreams, sounds like you are a natural with WILD.

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 11 Feb 2015 05:50

yupxitsxalex wrote:

1. I can only enter a lucid dream state when taking an afternoon nap. Though this happens without fail every time. My question is how would I go about inducing lucid dreams at night?

Doing a Wild is entirely dependent upon being in the right brain state, what time you do it should not matter much.

2. While in a lucid dream state I can always feel my real body. I.e. I can feel where my body is resting on my bed and pillow. My question does this happen to anyone else.

Feeling your real body while in a LD is very common, so is being aware of the real world and the dreamscape at the same time, though sometimes the real world is just a dream running at the same time as the LD. Lucid dreaming is interesting mainly because it extends ones experience of what consciousness is.

3. While in my lucid dream state today once I took control of it I panicked and attempted to leave it and wake up by ripping my face away from where I could feel it was resting. After the third try I managed to do it finding myself in my bed I sat up and began to walk toward the bathroom only to realize I could still fell myself lying Down. After this I woke myself up by (this is weird and funny I know) by slapping myself in the face where I could feel myself lying down after the third or fourth attempt I managed to really wake up and rip my face away from the pillow(I say rip because in slapping myself I actually woke up and turned my head at the same time). My question is the multilayer phenomenon normal or has anyone had experience with this. Remember this is my first experience with the multilayer phenomenon because this is the first time I have had full control.

False awakenings have been experience by most lucid dreamers. Feeling yourself in your real body and in your dream body at the same time is also not rare. What is rare is that both bodies may have independent consciousness with separate thoughts, emotions and perceptions at the same time. If you want to you can be both the human petting a cat and the cat at the same time or a woman being made love to and the man doing it at the same time.

4. Simply a question. In the past my lucid dreams have seemed to last hours when I let them take me where I want though in the real world each one only lasted around 10 to 15 minutes. The dream I took control of only lasted around 10 minutes over I took control but u woke up around 30 minutes after the time I fell asleep. Is there a method to increase the length of lucid dreams once you take control.

I don't know that duration is effected by control at all, except that one can exit the dream instantly with more experience and doing a dream return to the same dream if one wants to after waking up is though not certain highly likely.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 14 Feb 2015 08:04

Snaggle wrote:
yupxitsxalex wrote:

Doing a Wild is entirely dependent upon being in the right brain state, what time you do it should not matter much.

Thou it is dependant on the right brain state, a person doing WILDs during the day may have trouble doing it at night due to they are in the habit of at night just going to an unaware sleep, so not entering into a LD state with their minds. So they'll need to break their normal habit to get a LD.

One way that can be done is to not take up normal body position for normal sleeping when they go to bed eg try to have a WILD while laying on back if that isnt a normal sleeping position.

A person who is used to doing WILDs during the day should be able to do them any time at all at night (before bed, in middle of night, on first awakening) as long as they arent following their normal "just go to sleep unaware" night habit. They just need to break free of that.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”