Inconsistency in control, even in longer dreams

How to control and prolong lucid dreams, increase the intensity, work with dream characters, and communicate with the subconscious.
Magenta

Inconsistency in control, even in longer dreams

Postby Magenta » 12 Jan 2015 11:24

Hi!

I've been into LD for maybe 1.5 years or more now, and make incredibly slow progress, probably due to not prioritizing well.

I'm noticing that in some of my dreams, even if I manage to stay lucid for more than 5-10 seconds--which in itself is hard to gague, because even 30 seems like a relative eternity--I generally seem to get caught up in surrounding dream characters/environments no matter how insignificant.

By this, I mean that a main goal of mine is to use dream characters to assist with my crippling writer's block in real life. To do this, I want to talk to/interview fictional characters I've created. Long story short: I often get caught up in other weird random tasks within the dream, sometimes even when I DO recognize what better use of my time I could be making, and even when I try to summon the characters I truly want to interact with and essentially learn from, I fail to do so, even though I've had a significant percentage of LDs where this wasn't an issue so much.

That's to say that, while I still have painfully short periods of lucidity, usually when I become lucid these days, I at least make sure to summon the right characters. Last night, though, I called the name over and over again with no luck that I can recall. While I clearly have a lot to learn and am probably not making the right effort with LD in general, a big priority of mine is to always be able to summon said characters in the rare(or at least uncommon) event that I manage to recognize the nutty stuff happening around me would be unlikely in waking life.

So, what might be the first thing I should put more focus on here? Reality checks? Meditation? Something else entirely? Thanks, and I hope I haven't been too wordy with this one. I'm a bit overdue to start my almost-bedtime ritual. ;)

HAGART

Re: Inconsistency in control, even in longer dreams

Postby HAGART » 14 Jan 2015 19:19

Don't jump headlong into your task right away. Take a moment to heighten your senses and become more lucid and aware. Grab things, look at things, listen... etc. Take a moment to recall who you are and bring back your rational, waking mind, which tends to get quite amnesiac in dreams. There are many other ways to do it, but taking a moment to ground yourself, and think with a level head, and stabilize the dream helps prolong it and helps you think more clearly about what it is you want to do. Getting side tracked is very common, and if you find yourself doing that, stop, repeat it all again, perhaps rub your hands, dart your eyes around and remember who you are, awaken your lucid self identity, and remember your objective and start again.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Magenta

Postby Magenta » 06 Feb 2015 12:59

I forgot to thank you for this. I've been slacking a bit lately, but my focus will be to do these things before I start focusing entirely on my high-priority tasks. Your insight is much appreciated! :D

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 09 Feb 2015 00:04

HAGART gave you great advice. I think that may be your problem too.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Magenta

Postby Magenta » 09 Feb 2015 00:36

taniaaust1 wrote:HAGART gave you great advice. I think that may be your problem too.

I made a sincere conscious effort for probably the first time last night to do this. It likely worked to a degree, but I don't know how much. I almost never LD without the help of a supplement, which I'm supposedly supposed to take no more than twice a week, which sucks(anyone know of one that's effective and safe for daily use?)

In short, I became lucid somewhere with structures/walls but perhaps no other people, and kept feeling stuff and saying things like "clarity now." I don't recall all that happened, but I'm pretty sure I never got to the "summon things that are my priorities" phase of the dream. I can't complain, though, since I'm guessing this takes practice and over time prolongs the dreams more and more--is that a good guess? :)

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 09 Feb 2015 00:44

I do have great advice, but I'll let everyone in on a secret:
I have a hard time following my own!

Sometimes I just forget everything I was suppose to do and just go with the flow. I have even been in quite a few lucid dreams trying to think about what it was I wanted to do, only to draw a blank. It's so far away in my waking mind at the time. I just shrug my shoulders and do what comes natural.

I think we lucid dreamers have two selves and they split and only rarely do they meet. Our waking self identity and the dreaming one.

Try and be both.... ;)

Magenta

Postby Magenta » 09 Feb 2015 00:53

Thanks for the further input, HAGART...though what you said, if it's true of me, is a huge problem. for about two years now I've been going at a glacial pace, and perhaps more importantly, summoning things/settings is crucial to what I most want to accomplish in order to use LD to generate ideas, given my crippling writer's block. I actually *have* thought within a LD about this goal frequently, and about exactly what I want to do/summon within the dream, but it seems to destabilize within a minute or so, so maybe I don't have the same problem as some do--at least, once I'm lucid. I'm horrible in nonlucids with recognizing how nonsensical the dream is, but once I'm lucid, I almost always think "OK, let's try to use this for creativity I can carry over to the real world, but let's also not get so excited we destabilize the dream." Even if I achieve the first part, the second part wrecks that usually within a minute. :cry:

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 09 Feb 2015 00:54

(I wrote this before you replied)
One more thing:

Yelling, "Clarity Now", doesn't work. Why should it? The dream doesn't understand words and syntax. It's only emotion.

I keep hearing about people yelling that in their dreams like it should do something and then wonder why it doesn't work.

I tried it too a while ago and so I know what I'm talking about. In a lucid dream the only force is your intent, 'just knowing'. If you second guess, nothing works. Believe me, I know, because I have so many mental blocks from self-doubt. When I'm semi-lucid I have more control because I don't question, I just do.

"Do or do not; There is no try."

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 09 Feb 2015 01:26

I'm like Larry King in a dream and so curious and question people. I don't care where I am, I love to just ask dream characters questions and then catch them in their own mental logic.

I might ask (for example): "You know this is a dream right?"
They answer: "Yes."
Me: "So who created it?"
Them: "I don't know."
Me: "When were you born and do you know you will die?"

(It always throws them for a loop and love to get in their heads with questions like that, knowing they don't exist at all but only think they do. Sounds messed up, but I think it's metacognition to an extreme and proud of it!)

Metacognition=Think about thought=me talking to my inner self about deep issues.

I don't get those type of lucid dreams often, but when I do, they are very memorable.

Magenta

Postby Magenta » 23 Feb 2015 11:19

HAGART wrote:(I wrote this before you replied)
One more thing:

Yelling, "Clarity Now", doesn't work. Why should it? The dream doesn't understand words and syntax. It's only emotion.

I keep hearing about people yelling that in their dreams like it should do something and then wonder why it doesn't work.

I tried it too a while ago and so I know what I'm talking about. In a lucid dream the only force is your intent, 'just knowing'. If you second guess, nothing works. Believe me, I know, because I have so many mental blocks from self-doubt. When I'm semi-lucid I have more control because I don't question, I just do.

"Do or do not; There is no try."

Thought I'd replied to this, but was mistaken.

"Clarity now" does(to an extent) work for me. Most every time I say it, it gives my dream a sharper image, or even illuminates the area better. I'd have to say this happens more than 95% of the time. I'd always understood this from much LD literature I've read(probably including some from this site) to be because you're not asking the *dream* for clarity, per se--you're asking your own subconscious, which seems like it *can* understand words/syntax(I haven't specifically looked into research on this, but it's been extremely reliable for over a year now, and the idea of another part of one's mind obeying commands makes more sense than the dream itself simply "understanding" it--now that is something I myself might find hard to believe.)

It's similar to why I can summon dream characters of my choice(including specific celebrities--more on that later, perhaps.) I do notice that "clarity now" works more often than summoning specific DCs, probably because the former is a broad, simple request and I'm more obsessed with the idea of the latter, and so it seems more "intimidating" due to my own self-doubt. I'm extremely pessimistic and horrible at getting things done, and yet I've clearly been able to somewhat shape my dreams and make characters appear exactly as I imagine them during the day, even considering how bad I am at devoting more time to practicing non-supplement/audio-derived techniques for making lucidity more likely.

The Larry King story/technique sounds awesome. Will have to try it sometime. Still, I need to make LDs more common than the once/twice a week I manage to take a supplement after my first time waking for the night.

Return to “Dream Control Specifics”