Two years on.. still no luck!

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
fearcandy_64

Two years on.. still no luck!

Postby fearcandy_64 » 10 Feb 2015 22:35

Since I first discovered the World of Lucid Dreaming over two years ago, I have not experienced a lucid dream.

I have since developed a healthy twice-a-day 10 minute meditation habit, the finger-through-palm reality check a number of times a day and a regular dream diary.
If anything these things in themselves have been enjoyable for what they are and have shaped me as a person. But I still look forward to my first lucid dream, the fruit of my endeavours.

I feel I must be missing something, or not doing something correctly. On going to bed I focus on either creating a vivid dreamscape or simply repeating 'I will lucid dream tonight'.

My friend, a lifelong lucid dreamer told me all she has ever done is think about what she wants to dream about as falling asleep, and bam! Envy is not the word :roll:

taniaaust1

Re: Two years on.. still no luck!

Postby taniaaust1 » 10 Feb 2015 23:55

Oh that must be so very frustrating. Let's see if we can work out the issue.

Obviously if you are keeping a regular dream journal, you are remembering your dreams so this isnt an issue.

simply repeating 'I will lucid dream tonight'.

You could make a change to that which may work far better. I suggest repeating just the two words "lucid dream". I suggest to do that while observing your breath as you allow yourself to fall asleep eg think "lucid" on the inbreath and "dream on the outbreath.

This may help not just by programming yoursel to think of lucid dream while falling asleep, but also by boosting your awareness on your body (body awareness) so hopefully when you enter a LD you will notice your body has changed in some way.

Try this for 2-3 weeks while falling asleep.

Hold expectations that this could work fast, Important: dont go thinking you need to be spending time using a technique for it to work as that can stop a technique from working as well.

I have since developed a healthy twice-a-day 10 minute meditation habit,

Meditation will probably only help if you are having trouble relaxing eg getting off to sleep which some do with LD, unless you are using the meditation time for intense focus on LD (rather then in relaxation meditation) which is another thing meditation can be used for when it comes to LD.

Share more about what you are doing meditation wise?

My question to you is.. is your LD problem a relaxation one? or is something else going on here? When you try to LD, say if you were trying to WILD are you falling asleep easily enough within an hour? Do you try at times for up to an hour? (you may have to have patient in a LD attempt if you havent had a LD before thou it isnt always the case, techniques can play a big part on how successful a person is).

On going to bed I focus on either creating a vivid dreamscape

So is the issue you are doing this but then just falling into an unaware sleep? If so that is now a deeply ingrained habit, it only takes 3 weeks to start to develop a habit which then sets one up for failure.

So if something dont work within a few weeks, you need to change what you are doing and not stay doing that thing as its got less likely to work.

The time you are trying to do this, ie when you go to bed, also can be quite bad for many beginners. In your case you'd best be doing the WBTB method to start lucid dreaming. I suggest you go to this along with what I said about saying in your mind the words "lucid" and "dreaming" while watching your breath.

Also obviously you havent read many of the posts here or you would of realised the time you are doing it isnt at the easiest time. I suggest you do more reading on LD to help further engrain into your mind that you really really want one (and it will also help you to troubleshoot any problems you may get when you have your 1st experience too, so you can have a better more successful one once you do).

Anyway, I dont think its a case of you arent capable of lucid dreaming but more that it's a case that your techniques need to be improved on and changed.

At this point seeing the creating a dreamscape isnt working, leave that for a least a month while you try what I've suggested. You may be keeping your brain too active while trying to create it and hence not be allowing spontanous images to just start coming in from the subconsciousness during it to start getting you into a LD.

To signal to your subconcious things are very different "so you are going to LD".. really help it see you arent stuck in the same old.. I also suggest at this point to change your reality check. There is nothing really wrong with it but its just you really need to break your current pattern of failure and the reality check is part of your current pattern. So start also doing a new one.

Post back in a month if you still havent had a LD.

To summarise what I think you should try for 3-4 weeks.

1. You need to be trying to LD at different time (after some sleep, some time in mid sleep cycle best..others here will be able to give more precise time on when its usually best)

2. Say to yourself inside your head, "lucid" on inbreath, "dream" on outbreath do this up to an hour focused on your breathing. Allow yourself to fall asleep doing it.

3. Stop doing the creation of the dreamscape as it doesnt work for you

4. Change of reality check (to help break past failure habit of the "whole process"). Try two new reality checks.

5. Quit the meditation (unless you want to keep doing it cause you like it or if its actually helping you in some way).

Change this time instead to at least 2 sessions of 5 mins of "awareness" exercises (even more sessions is better.. it doesnt have to be as long as 5mins even regular session of 1min awareness exercise is a good thing to do). To do this just pay lots of attention to your surroundings. Look around you for anything "weird", try to observe anything and question "Could this be a dream?". If you have a clock or watch.. see if it will go weird if you are looking at it and then away and back.

6. Keep up doing the dream journal

7. Hold in mind you are starting "afresh" dont dwell at all on past LD failure as you are not doing as in the past.

You werent doing anything "wrong" (you were trying a lot of good things there), its just the techinques you are doing are not right for you.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

fearcandy_64

Postby fearcandy_64 » 12 Feb 2015 12:06

taniaaust1 wrote:You could make a change to that which may work far better. I suggest repeating just the two words "lucid dream". I suggest to do that while observing your breath as you allow yourself to fall asleep eg think "lucid" on the inbreath and "dream on the outbreath.

I will definitely try this!

taniaaust1 wrote:Share more about what you are doing meditation wise?

Originally it was something new and interesting to try, but now I enjoy it purely as a relaxation exercise (counting breaths). I don't really associate it with LD any more, so I think I will keep it up.
I don't tend to have issues falling asleep or relaxing, I can usually sleep within a few minutes with a clear mind and this also seems to help in day to day life also.

I also wake up naturally after 3-4 hours sleep, at which time I go for a little wander and then go back to bed, so this would be a good time to try the WBTB (though I always fall back asleep straight away here!).

On going to bed I focus on either creating a vivid dreamscape

The times I have tried this I usually can't sleep, my mind just stays active. So you are right in that this probably isn't for me yet.

taniaaust1 wrote:I also suggest at this point to change your reality check.

I will have a look for some alternatives to try.

taniaaust1 wrote:Change this time instead to at least 2 sessions of 5 mins of "awareness" exercises (even more sessions is better [...] To do this just pay lots of attention to your surroundings. Look around you for anything "weird", try to observe anything and question "Could this be a dream?". If you have a clock or watch.. see if it will go weird if you are looking at it and then away and back.

I will do this also!

I really appreciate your answer, this has given me new motivation. I will report back in a month or so!

jasmine2

Postby jasmine2 » 13 Feb 2015 03:22

It seems to me that when many people start learning about lucid dreaming, they may tend to get a little impatient with "just ordinary" non-lucid dreams. This might be somewhat insulting to the deep awareness in the mind which creates dreams.

In your post, you didn't say specifically whether or not you keep a dream journal.
As I am waking up, if I remember any dream imagery or emotions, I try to quickly jot down some notes. If the dream or dream fragment seem interesting, then later I'll write a more complete description in my dream journal. If I do this fairly regularly, my dreams tend to become longer and more detailed, and my dream memory improves.

If I recall some unusual dream symbol, object, or character which feels significant, I may try to honor this dream creation in some form of art or by making a craft object, or with a spontaneous little dance or song. The unconscious mind seems to appreciate this attention and cooperation and may offer up more creative dreams, some of which may be at least partially lucid.

Before going to sleep, I often say to my inner dreamer, "Please show me a dream about what I need to know at this time in my life."

fearcandy_64

Postby fearcandy_64 » 13 Feb 2015 11:00

jasmine2 wrote:In your post, you didn't say specifically whether or not you keep a dream journal.
As I am waking up, if I remember any dream imagery or emotions, I try to quickly jot down some notes. If the dream or dream fragment seem interesting, then later I'll write a more complete description in my dream journal. If I do this fairly regularly, my dreams tend to become longer and more detailed, and my dream memory improves.

Yes I do keep a dream journal, I usually can remember bits from 2-3 dreams if I'm lucky and I'll jot these down. Some of them seem pretty generic compared to others, but like you said the more I do this the easier it becomes.

fearcandy_64

Postby fearcandy_64 » 13 Feb 2015 21:55

taniaaust1 wrote:Change this time instead to at least 2 sessions of 5 mins of "awareness" exercises (even more sessions is better.. it doesnt have to be as long as 5mins even regular session of 1min awareness exercise is a good thing to do). To do this just pay lots of attention to your surroundings. Look around you for anything "weird", try to observe anything and question "Could this be a dream?". If you have a clock or watch.. see if it will go weird if you are looking at it and then away and back.

Also, you mention questioning my surroundings. Can this be done just in my head, or should I ask myself out loud?
i.e will my dream-state mind also question the surroundings in this way or is it more reliable as a spoken cue?

Thanks!

Parap

Postby Parap » 14 Feb 2015 03:51

Dang, that sucks man. I just discovered lucid dreaming a month ago and I've had 2 LDs so far. In the first two weeks i remember i was doing the palm with the two fingers to Reality check and i never even did it once in my dreams.. I found that just looking at my hands and studying them was WAY more effective for whatever reason and transferred into my dreams MUCH more often, causing me to notice they were odd looking and made me become lucid. I think the problem with trying to push your fingers through your hand is that you have to actually visualize and believe they will go through, and on top of that you have to be thinking that if they do, it is a dream... which is a hard thing to do 10+ times a day especially if you have work or something like that. Much easier to just look at your hands.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 14 Feb 2015 07:39

fearcandy_64 wrote:Also, you mention questioning my surroundings. Can this be done just in my head, or should I ask myself out loud?
i.e will my dream-state mind also question the surroundings in this way or is it more reliable as a spoken cue?

Thanks!

You can question the situation any way you wish, it wont matter you are questioning a situation outloud or in your head. Seeing thou you will be doing this in real life too, I do suggest to do it inside your head as others over hearing you may otherwise think you've gone nuts :lol:
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

fearcandy_64

Postby fearcandy_64 » 14 Feb 2015 09:48

Parap wrote:I found that just looking at my hands and studying them was WAY more effective for whatever reason and transferred into my dreams MUCH more often, causing me to notice they were odd looking and made me become lucid. I think the problem with trying to push your fingers through your hand is that you have to actually visualize and believe they will go through, and on top of that you have to be thinking that if they do, it is a dream... which is a hard thing to do 10+ times a day especially if you have work or something like that. Much easier to just look at your hands.

I know exactly what you mean by that, thanks!

taniaaust1 wrote:Seeing thou you will be doing this in real life too, I do suggest to do it inside your head as others over hearing you may otherwise think you've gone nuts :lol:

Good point :D

fearcandy_64

Postby fearcandy_64 » 09 Mar 2015 21:59

Hello, me again!

I'm afraid there has been little development thus far.
- I have taken up checking my hands for detail / counting fingers / looking for unusual features as a new reality check which has become pretty habitual.
- I fall asleep with my mind on 'lucid' and 'dream' on my breathing pattern.
- I have also laid of the meditation, although I'm considering beginning again due to stress of late.

- My dream diary has remained consistent with at least one scene recalled every morning. If I have woken up in the night I have taken up writing down any dreams I have just had - I think this would be a good habit for WBTB as it takes thought and 10 or so minutes.

What's next I could try? Shall I keep up with these habits for now?

Thank you!

Return to “For Beginners”