Is there an afterlife?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
Philosopher8659

Re: Is there an afterlife?

Postby Philosopher8659 » 18 Feb 2015 01:53

That is on par with "are there numbers after numbers" and bang, we got transfinite numbers! Imagine that!. Now we can do the same thing with linearity, is there a line after a line, and I don't mean line segment. Bam transfinite lines! cool, we got string theory, which actually originated from canned spaghetti.

Now, if one understood language at all, one can ask the question from the foundation of language instead of creating a host of transfinite mythologies. If one has ever read the Platonic Dialogs, one might notice that often before Socrates starts a discussion, he will ask is the topic of a discussion a thing or not? Now why is that. It is because of the principles of predication, something far in advance of any course on grammar today.

We can name a thing, we can name the elements of a thing. Now the elements of a thing are not things. The naming convention of things is the Subject naming convention, the naming convention of a things elements is the Predicate naming convention.
So, we can equate the Subject naming convention to the Predicate naming convention, or we can deny equality. In the simple, assertion and denial.
A things elements, however, are not things. We can only name the elements, we cannot assert or deny of them. Predicates are of things, one cannot predicate of a predicate.

Now if life is a thing, surely we can predicate of it. And if Life is a thing, we can divide it both into material and form. Now we can talk of a life, which is a thing, just like we can talk of a line segment as a thing, we cannot call linearity a thing, it is a material difference. Similarly, we can speak of hours and minutes, days and years, but is there a time after time, a transfinite time? Well those in the big bang industry may be illiterate, but wise enough to con the public out of great sums of money, but give me a break, doesn't anyone study the real philosophers anymore?

So, you can either join the club of linguistic fallacy and do you transfinite mathematics, which might be called religion, or you can make a life with what you got.

I did hear once of a ghost asking if there was such a thing as life after death. Lucky for him, he was not alive to even formulate his own question.

Since a number is only a name in an ordered naming convention, I think I will wait for the sequel, Is there an alphabet after the alphabet. Golly wouldn't that be great, Transfinite English Grammar!

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 23 Feb 2015 12:50

I believe there is, yes.
Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order.

~David Gerrold

Philosopher8659

Postby Philosopher8659 » 23 Feb 2015 13:31

Have you ever noticed an identity between faith, as defined in the Judeo-Christian scripture which is opposed to interpreted usage, and the meaning of mind that one finds in the puzzle of the name of the beast, which is opposed to much of scientific claim?

Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

and,

"To regulate behavior so as to turn the past into the future and to bring the future to pass."

and that both of these are based on objective reality? Which would, in my estimation, make belief something which is not based in mysticism.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 23 Feb 2015 17:21

Faith is blind and irrational. It is only evidence that people like to delude themselves and revel in wishful thinking. Faith is believing without evidence and this is why it is irrational. It stands in the way of human progress and encourages us to abandon our working minds.

Faith is not a virtue, it is a snag and a blindfold which encourages infantile behaviour. It shouldn't be mistaken for hope either. Faith alludes to belief and blind certainty. Hope is simply wishing when one is helpless but having the awareness that the unwanted outcome is very much a possibility.

Anyone who says faith is some sort of evidence for the unseen is either a fool or a lost soul brainwashed long ago. :-D

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Philosopher8659

Postby Philosopher8659 » 23 Feb 2015 17:58

Summerlander wrote:Faith is blind and irrational. It is only evidence that people like to delude themselves and revel in wishful thinking. Faith is believing without evidence and this is why it is irrational. It stands in the way of human progress and encourages us to abandon our working minds.

Faith is not a virtue, it is a snag and a blindfold which encourages infantile behaviour. It shouldn't be mistaken for hope either. Faith alludes to belief and blind certainty. Hope is simply wishing when one is helpless but having the awareness that the unwanted outcome is very much a possibility.

Anyone who says faith is some sort of evidence for the unseen is either a fool or a lost soul brainwashed long ago. :-D

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Are there sentence comprehension courses by Mel Bay, too?

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 23 Feb 2015 18:19

Faith is not evidence for sure. Just pure creation..
Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order.

~David Gerrold

Philosopher8659

Postby Philosopher8659 » 23 Feb 2015 18:22

DesertExplorer wrote:Faith is not evidence for sure. Just pure creation..

Do not argue with me, try and erase the definition from the Book itself.

Hebrews 11.1

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 23 Feb 2015 18:38

Philosopher8659 wrote:
DesertExplorer wrote:Faith is not evidence for sure. Just pure creation..

Do not argue with me, try and erase the definition from the Book itself.

Hebrews 11.1

I tried but I couldn't.

hehe.. I was not talking to you philosopher.

~David Gerrold

deschainXIX

Postby deschainXIX » 23 Feb 2015 18:49

Ah, so you're one of those strange people who think that citing such an apochryphal and translucently primitive and self-contradictory text as the Bible (or "The Book" :lol:) is legitimate evidence. Shame. I expected a little more than that.

DesertExplorer, so you recognize faith as a concession of irrationality and spontaneity? Do you know that all monotheistic doctrines purport deities that ask for your blind faith? Why would you lend your faith to one and not the other? Why not Allah? His subjects are just as pious and faithfully convinced as any other...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Well said.

Philosopher8659

Postby Philosopher8659 » 23 Feb 2015 18:54

Well, if you had studied any of my work, you just might see the contradiction is not in the text, it is in your ability to use language.

And, yes, when citing a source, I tend to take the matter from the source instead of mythology about the source.

I did say, by textual definition.

Return to “Off-Topic”