Is there an afterlife?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
DesertExplorer

Re: Is there an afterlife?

Postby DesertExplorer » 23 Feb 2015 19:27

I still wonder why some guys cannot keep a balance between faith and logic. No, you just have to contradict to something. Well, do as you wish.

But one more thing; why is faith blind every time in your opinion? Your experiences may have traumatized you in some way. Well, there is no other explanation. You are only aware of one part of the image.

And please, tell me why you take it so far. Allah?? Are you kidding me? Who talked about that? Faith can be as much useful as logic in many ways. The combination of the two can be impressive in my opinion, which you lack as it seems.
Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order.

~David Gerrold

Philosopher8659

Postby Philosopher8659 » 23 Feb 2015 20:12

Well, perhaps the difference between you and I, is that when I read a text, I try to get as close to the authors meaning as possible. You apparently believe that it is an empty cup into which you can pour your own opinions and mythologies.

Since Faith is the substance of that which you had hoped for, the evidence of that which you had not seen, exactly where do you get blindness out of that? Having a problem with comprehension?

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 23 Feb 2015 20:27

@ Philosopher:

That's how far you've been brainwashed, Phil! The Book cannot be wrong, but, we, God's creations, absolutely are. Tell me, genius, if the Book is some kind of revelation for God's flawed and proto-linguistic minions, why make its passages as cryptic and incomprehensible as you claim? And if you say that we are not ready to interpret it, why bother to launch the revelation so early when it is liable to alteration and misrepresentation - thus risking the divine message to be lost in translation? :-D

By the way, where do you get the notion that faith is any sort of evidence? This is why you stumble upon non sequitur after non sequitur and nobody is listening to you.

@ DesertExplorer:

Faith is blind and flawed because it requires you to believe in something without any real evidence and stultifies mental progress. It makes a mockery of your intelligence by treating you like a child (believe in God without proof) and a slave at the same time (ask no questions, do as you're told, we bring you the unquestionable truth, don't you know!).

I also don't see how deschainXIX took it far. Christianity, Judaism, and Islam are connected (one plagiarised from the next) and all are monotheisms that contradict and deny one another by scripture. So deschainXIX's question is legit, paraphrasing: Why pick Yahweh over Allah? In Islam, you are an infidel who deserves to die because you're a Christian. In the Book of Deuteronomy (Bible) you are ordained by God to kill people of other faiths, i.e. Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Jains etc.

By the way, you cannot combine faith with logic because the two are incompatible by definition. You show me the many ways in which faith is useful, be my guest. List your examples. Go on... :-)

It is because of faith that the 9/11 atrocity took place and why life imprisonment sentences to people like Zacarias Moussaoui are justified. People who believe they will be rewarded, like some greedy child, in an afterlife for doing "God's work." It is faith that drove millions to send their kids to be looked after and educated by the right-wing Catholics of Ireland, and religious factions like the Christian Brothers, only to discover that they were beaten and raped for years and learned fuck all. It is pharisaic zealots, and the moderately faithful that protect them or remain silent, who attempt to kill humour, art, science, and freedom of expression. It is the faithful who welcome the totalitarianism of theocracy because they enjoy slavery under an imaginary celestial dictatorship. The faithful revel blissfully in their ignorance and their sadomasochistic relationship with their Creator - the one who, according to so-called revelation, creates them sick and orders them to be well.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 23 Feb 2015 20:32

Philosopher8659 wrote:Well, perhaps the difference between you and I, is that when I read a text, I try to get as close to the authors meaning as possible. You apparently believe that it is an empty cup into which you can pour your own opinions and mythologies.

Since Faith is the substance of that which you had hoped for, the evidence of that which you had not seen, exactly where do you get blindness out of that? Having a problem with comprehension?

I hope you are not responding to me, because I agree with you.
Last edited by DesertExplorer on 23 Feb 2015 20:44, edited 1 time in total.
Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order.

~David Gerrold

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 23 Feb 2015 20:33

LMAO! :-D

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 23 Feb 2015 20:44

Oh now I understand!

Summerlander and Deschain, we are talking about the same subject, but we also don't.

Hahaha.. I was referring to everyday situations, not God. I agree with you that it's not evidence.

All I wanted to say is that faith is important in many situations where what you could do, you already did and you can only hope that you will achieve your goals or whatever you desire to invigorate them. See? It was a misunderstanding. We were meaning different things. But, now that I know what you are talking about, I can say that yeah in that occasion faith is plain brainwashing. To believe in Allah and other bullshit....

..Oops, if you don't hear of me again, then it was nice to meet you and I'll see you in the next life. :cry:

~David Gerrold

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 23 Feb 2015 20:49

Too bad that we were meaning different things, though. That contradiction was getting interesting. :roll:

~David Gerrold

Philosopher8659

Postby Philosopher8659 » 23 Feb 2015 20:51

Well, you see how someone can plainly lay down a definition, and others go off on a wild tangent, unable to even keep the subject in mind.

It is because of this fact, I don't believe that they are lucid dreamers at all. It does take focus which some around here display a complete lack of.

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 23 Feb 2015 20:54

Philosopher8659 wrote:Well, you see how someone can plainly lay down a definition, and others go off on a wild tangent, unable to even keep the subject in mind.

It is because of this fact, I don't believe that they are lucid dreamers at all. It does take focus which some around here display a complete lack of.

Can you quote who you are speaking to? Thanks!

~David Gerrold

Philosopher8659

Postby Philosopher8659 » 23 Feb 2015 21:17

DE
Haven't you noticed that I generally talk to myself? Others actually speak of and to their fictionalization of my words. I find it sometimes interesting, sometimes annoying.

Return to “Off-Topic”