Is there an afterlife?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
nesgirl

Re: Is there an afterlife?

Postby nesgirl » 27 Feb 2015 06:57

Last edited by nesgirl on 20 May 2015 01:23, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...
I dare you Summer and Deschain, to find where I am hiding, and try to attack.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 27 Feb 2015 07:19

First of all, my joke about orange jumpsuits, and shaved head and being in a 'prison', was just a joke because there was enough similarity to make a clever comparison.

As for the 2nd, this is so far off-topic anyway....
So this "Dog of Ice" harassed you online about 10 years ago? Who's he?! So what if he claims to lucid dream, and who cares what his so called, 'skill-level' is. I bet he's a wimp in real life, and what's he going to do, fight me? How is he going to find me? In my dreams? Is he going to enter my dreams now, cause I'd whoop his ass! I already fought off some pretty bad SP 'monsters'. Forget about 'em!

I feel you need that pep talk and realize if anyone does that here, they won't last a week before getting banned.

You hold a grudge and lose trust for a long time don't you.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 27 Feb 2015 07:26

Last edited by nesgirl on 20 May 2015 01:23, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 27 Feb 2015 07:43

We should probably PM or chat somewhere about the other stuff because it's going off-topic, but how can someone have credentials to prove their lucid dreaming ability? It's all anecdotal just like what I write.

How can anyone even be 'better' or 'worse' at lucid dreaming if it's just a mind state?

Are there Lucid Dream Trophies awarded that I haven't heard of? Is there a lucid dream Oscars where people get sappy and raise their award in the air, self congratulating themselves like they do in Hollywood? I doubt it.

If it does exist it's as fake as Hollywood.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 27 Feb 2015 07:51

HAGART wrote:How can anyone even be 'better' or 'worse' at lucid dreaming if it's just a mind state?

I take that back. There are different levels of awareness, but does it really matter? That's a whole new topic and can of worms.

nesgirl

Postby nesgirl » 27 Feb 2015 07:55

Last edited by nesgirl on 20 May 2015 01:24, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye forever...

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 27 Feb 2015 08:13

Summerlander wrote:The Buddhist's quest for nirvana is ultimately a selfish goal. They desire to get there and they meditate a lot with that goal in mind. Buddhism does not encourage you to embrace yourself. It implies that you are in a delusional state whereby you require salvation. It is, in a subtler way, just like all the other religions. It all persuades you to stop thinking and promotes the killing of personalities.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

First of all it's not a religion. It's a way of life.

Second
They believe in no God (not all of them) and you can be atheist, Christian or what ever you like to practice the philosophy. You are talking like you have already practiced this, while I am sure you haven't. But, if you have, tell me because that makes it interesting. I'll have some questions for you.
Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order.

~David Gerrold

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 27 Feb 2015 20:55

I can criticise Islam without having practised it either. Islam, by the way, is also a way of life besides being a religion.

Saying Buddhism isn't a religion isn't quite accurate. Besides having precepts for propriety, it advocates the belief in Karma (not to be confused with -- and nothing like -- Newtonian cause-and-effect), a retributive supernatural force which judges wrongdoing. This to me sounds like a dehumanised invisible agent, a kind of unconventional god whose job is always the same: judge, jury, and executioner.

Perhaps Theravada Buddhism is the most down to earth and closest to the agnostic Buddha's doctrine. But the Buddha still erroneously believed in karma, and, like in all the stories about gods and messiahs, was born unconventionally (miraculously if you like). And what about lord Mara, lord of illusions in charge of samsara, whom the Buddha faced? There is also a story where Buddha encounters the god Brahma!

And what about Tibetan Buddhism with goodness knows how many deities and other planes of existence in the afterlife? Is this not a religion, Desert? :-)

I do admire the character of Buddha and even have Buddha ornaments in my house, but I have never truly practised Buddhism. I've been into meditation for sure and stumbled upon numinous experiences -- all, I believe, generated in my head -- but one does not need to be a Buddhist to practise it. I also see a lot of Westerners into meditation calling themselves Buddhist when they are not. Some have never even heard about the Eight-Fold Path (quite a totalitarian set of instructions purporting to be the right conduct).

Then there's reincarnation which supposedly provides you with a chance to pay your karmic debt if for some reason it doesn't happen in this life. Imagine the lack of compassion Buddhists had for victims of America's agent Orange! When humanists described deformed kids as "poor children" they were immediately told by Buddhists, "Don't say they are poor! They must have been bad in a past life..."

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

DesertExplorer

Postby DesertExplorer » 27 Feb 2015 21:42

Yes, I forgot to mention that there are a lot of Buddhism practices. The one that I was thinking about has people who do not believe in reincarnation. I will look for the exact name and talk to you back.
Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order.

~David Gerrold

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 28 Feb 2015 00:28

By all means, do so. Every religion is schismatic, a testament to their farcical and specious mien as so-called revelations.

"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Return to “Off-Topic”