A search for God

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
Worldenterer1

Re: A search for God

Postby Worldenterer1 » 24 Feb 2012 13:49

Jack Reacher wrote:Thats kinda why I dislike Christianity though, it kinda makes people believe in it simply because they dont want to go to hell.

Exactly.
Lucid Dream Count: 10
Normal Dream Count: 100+
Goal for next LD: Think with portals.

Gary8847

Postby Gary8847 » 24 Feb 2012 20:43

Sure I don't want to go to hell. But hell is not the reason I believe in God. From a younger person view, hell is frieghtening. But as you get older, you realize that hell and Satan are harmless. They are like a toothless snake, they have all the poison inside but know way to get it out. Well, not directly.
The only power Satan has over you, me or anyone else is the power we give him. After all, all the sins that I've commited in my life time. Was it not me committing them and not the devil. And this is true with all of us.

Peter

Postby Peter » 24 Feb 2012 21:01

All this heaven, hell etc to me is another way to control the masses and take away free will. I dont have any belief in either or any religion at all
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 24 Feb 2012 23:00

Jack Reacher wrote:Thats kinda why I dislike Christianity though, it kinda makes people believe in it simply because they dont want to go to hell.

Peter wrote:All this heaven, hell etc to me is another way to control the masses and take away free will. I dont have any belief in either or any religion at all

I agree with the above quotes. I used to be heavily into Christianity, and believed that those who weren't "born again" would be going to hell. But I couldn't reconcile the fact that Christianity, like other religions is really based on fear of judgment. The God I believe in has nothing to do with fear or judgment, only love. I also think that this life gives us tremendous opportunties to deal with fear and it's one of reasons we are here. I wouldn't want to die in a belief system that condemns people to eternity in hell. Who knows, we might be stuck in that when we're finished here, afraid to leave some little comfort zone that's set up for us in the next life with other frightened people.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Peter

Postby Peter » 24 Feb 2012 23:50

agree, its being out of my comfort zone, facing fears and being willing to accept or deal to all and anything that shapes me. I like the stress and doubt that goes with running against the crowd and finding my own way in this world
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Sarah

Postby Sarah » 25 Feb 2012 19:06

That's not true.. a lot of people have many intentions of Christianity other than hell or heaven
[color=#BFBFBF]Keep on believing[/color]

Peter

Postby Peter » 25 Feb 2012 20:53

yes but the foundations of almost all religion are based on fear and rewards or submission to a greater cause and that is giving away free will. Dont confuse decency and respect as being owned by religion

Sarah

Postby Sarah » 25 Feb 2012 21:32

True.. but still, many people have different intentions! Even for me, Christianity is not only because I want to go to heaven
[color=#BFBFBF]Keep on believing[/color]

Peter

Postby Peter » 25 Feb 2012 23:36

I am being very general in what I say and understand that it is still possible to take the best out of something and remain free in you own mind. Thats maybe why there are so many religions as people take the best and then create something that suits themselves.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 26 Feb 2012 00:56

Peter wrote:I am being very general in what I say and understand that it is still possible to take the best out of something and remain free in you own mind.

I was able to do this for a while, but as I became more free, my Christian faith eventually had to be put aside. I really began to see that fear was at the very core of my belief system. It became impossible to grow further and continue ignoring it. It also bothered me to think that some of my friends and loved ones might end up swimming laps in the Lake of Fire forever. The whole thing was blocking my spirtitual progress and I could not really be free.

The fear really began to get stronger when I started to let go of it. What if they're right? I worried. It was very difficult for me. I always felt that believing in Jesus as my savior was the safest approach to avoid hell (if there was one) and there are many others that feel this way.

But in the end, for me it was a choice between safety and freedom, comfort or growth.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Return to “Off-Topic”