Dealing with WILD disorientation: Ideas?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
lucidinthe sky

Re: Dealing with WILD disorientation: Ideas?

Postby lucidinthe sky » 20 Feb 2012 05:10

Snaggle wrote:Lucidinthe sky because the transition happens so fast, there's really no way to prepare for it, so just observe it and go "oh duh" like me.

Thanks for the heads-up Snaggle. I think you just have to fasten your dream seat belt and hope you can hang on for the ride.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Intrepid

Postby Intrepid » 21 Feb 2012 17:56

I know exactly what you mean, lucidinthesky. The 2D phase happens in the same way for me, and the short 3D HI phase is quickly followed by full dream immersion. I find it harder to stay in the 2D phase actually, as this is occurring while the onset of sleep paralysis is happening, which can often raise my heart rate or unnerve me slightly. It really sucks because them I'm left laying there, totally relaxed, but totally awake and focused. I'll often stay in that state and be stuck awake until I roll to a side or move a bit and shift position. It's like I'm locked into looking at 2D HI waiting for the queues that I'm close to WILD. I'm still practicing though.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 21 Feb 2012 20:17

Intrepid wrote:I know exactly what you mean, lucidinthesky. The 2D phase happens in the same way for me, and the short 3D HI phase is quickly followed by full dream immersion.

This is often the case for me, but the last 2 nights I've been working on trying to slow things down and extend the transition. I did this for 2 hours last night. What I've been doing is pulling back with my (for lack of another word) logical thinking brain when things get close to dropping off into deep sleep. So there are these 2 different processes going on, back and forth. After a while of this, it was easier for me to get lucid because I'm really immersed in the process. Last night it resulted in an awesome lucid dream so I'm encouraged.

One thing that I just noticed in this transition phase of what I could call dream-lites was an awareness that I was creating and controlling the dreams, but from some other location, not the logical thinking part. When I got the logical part going, the other would stop. It can be controlled, but there is a different method from the logical thought part. I'm going to continue experimenting with this.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 21 Feb 2012 21:56

lucidinthe sky wrote:This is often the case for me, but the last 2 nights I've been working on trying to slow things down and extend the transition. I did this for 2 hours last night. What I've been doing is pulling back with my (for lack of another word) logical thinking brain when things get close to dropping off into deep sleep. So there are these 2 different processes going on, back and forth. After a while of this, it was easier for me to get lucid because I'm really immersed in the process. Last night it resulted in an awesome lucid dream so I'm encouraged.

This is probably very good practice - hanging on to the transition state so you can get more used to it and work out exactly what it is you need to do with your focus to push into full lucidity.

Re: your original question, sometimes I go into WILDs which seem to have a mind of their own, and this is where the imagery can surprise me or make me forget I'm dreaming and lose the thread. But other times I specifically program the WILD to be a calm, desirable location. Usually a favorite beach or garden - though you can just as easily make it your living room or other familiar place. This might be a good launch pad for you to enter a WILD without any unexpected drama? It's just as easy (if not easier) to initiate than a non-programmed WILD - in fact I prefer them as I have more conscious awareness after the transition.

thomas

Postby thomas » 23 Feb 2012 03:38

Lucid in the Sky - I'm with Rebecca on this one. I always think of where I want to be before going into a WILD. I also keep a calmness and observe at first (as Snaggle mentioned). This serves two purposes - it keeps me from getting too excited and waking up and it allows me to adjust to my surroundings. I'm very passive on entering a LD dream.

Do you meditate? If not, it might be a something for you to try. It establishes a real calmness prior to WILD. Does this help? I'm thinking it might. Just an idea.

Thomas

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 23 Feb 2012 19:55

thomas wrote:Lucid in the Sky - I'm with Rebecca on this one. I always think of where I want to be before going into a WILD. I also keep a calmness and observe at first (as Snaggle mentioned). This serves two purposes - it keeps me from getting too excited and waking up and it allows me to adjust to my surroundings. I'm very passive on entering a LD dream.

Do you meditate? If not, it might be a something for you to try. It establishes a real calmness prior to WILD. Does this help? I'm thinking it might. Just an idea.

Thomas

Yes I do all of the above. I've been trying to delay the entry into the dream state and "play around" in the HI and pre-dream state just observing what's going on and trying to navigate through it. It's been quite interesting so far. Last time I did this I became aware of the part of me that was creating all of the dream-like images, etc. I was watching that part of me making everything up, but it was coming from some other location, definitely outside of my logical thinking brain. What it appears to me at this point is there is a part of us that is the intent drive and that's what we are using in dreams. I have also been able to use this in waking life and it's quite amazing. It's really beyond the want or desire stage, more of an intent driven actualization mechanism. I hope to learn more about this and figure out where the controls are and how to use them better.

To me entering the dream through the WILD method is kind of like jumping into a lake on a rope swing, trying to find that deep hole. You have to swing out intentionally, and hang on until the right moment, but then let go to hit that dream hole.

KylePK

Postby KylePK » 24 Feb 2012 04:01

lucidinthe sky wrote:
thomas wrote:What it appears to me at this point is there is a part of us that is the intent drive and that's what we are using in dreams.

Ego and superego?
Striving to live free and enlightened in every way.

Graham

Postby Graham » 24 Feb 2012 19:41

My experience with WILDs is very different from lucidinthe sky's, and what others have reported here. I slip so gradually from hypnagogic imagery into a LD that it is hard to say where the boundary is. I have not had a great LD this way, though (and I have in other ways) so maybe that's the price I pay for the smooth transition.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 24 Feb 2012 22:25

Graham wrote:I slip so gradually from hypnagogic imagery into a LD that it is hard to say where the boundary is. I have not had a great LD this way, though (and I have in other ways) so maybe that's the price I pay for the smooth transition.

I'm interested to know what was not as good with WILD generated lucid dreams.

I've had problems occasionally with them not being deep enough dreams, but that was because I was keeping myself half-awake the whole time. I've learned not to do that.

Anyway, I'm interested in what your problems were.

Graham

Postby Graham » 25 Feb 2012 11:46

lucidinthe sky wrote:I'm interested to know what was not as good with WILD generated lucid dreams.

They're short, and then I wake up again. I sometimes call them 'dreamlets'.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”