What are your religious views?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.

What are your religious views?

Deeply religious - I follow a strict religious code and trust my life to a higher authority
22
19%
Somewhat religious - I believe in a higher intelligence watching over us
38
32%
Agnostic - I'm on the fence; you really can't say either way at this time
29
25%
Atheist - I don't believe there is a higher intelligence watching over us
29
25%
 
Total votes: 118

User avatar
Sarah
Posts: 71
Joined: 24 Feb 2012 00:39
Location: USA

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Sarah » 29 Feb 2012 01:05

Hmm the last sentence.. I can't answer that ^^ But I guess just being in my religion makes me feel safe and secure
[color=#BFBFBF]Keep on believing[/color]

User avatar
Worldenterer1
Posts: 347
Joined: 03 Sep 2011 19:35
Location: Earth

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Worldenterer1 » 29 Feb 2012 03:47

I can completely understand the safe feeling that religion would give. Many times, that makes me wish I was. But there is absolutely no way I can believe in any form of an all powerful being, or life after death. Not only because there is no proof supporting claims such as those, but because they are almost impossible to explain how they could work or exist. In my opinion, it all comes down to the fact that people invented religion as a form of controlling murderers and bad people by telling them that they would be rewarded for living a good life. Religion also comforts people when they are faced by death.
Lucid Dream Count: 10
Normal Dream Count: 100+
Goal for next LD: Think with portals.

User avatar
Jack Reacher
Posts: 490
Joined: 21 Jan 2012 05:03
Location: New Zealand

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Jack Reacher » 29 Feb 2012 06:45

I agree on most points, but one thing that trips me up is although we say life after death couldn't even happen in principle, can't you say the same for the existence of the universe? imo existence shouldn't even be possible, the universe shouldn't exist as I dont understand how soemthing can come out of nothing, how time can be infinite etc... yet here we are.

As for intelligent design, I find it hard to believe that God is a kind of entity with a personality. A personality shows biasm, I believe in something that is more like infinity, hard to explain.

Anyway I want to take this topic in a different direction.

Are we God in our dreams? Think about it we basically dreamt up the entire world that you explore in your lucid dream, and you have control over it. Everything in the dream is a part of you, its all you, nothing from the external world is in the dream (Actually this is a grey area, would like to see this discussed). I think in principle we are God of our dreams, even though sometimes it feels we don't have full control, the things we dont control are controlled by another part of our self ( the subconscious)

This is a bit of a stretch but if thats true, could it also be that the entire universe we know is in Gods minds eye, kind of like his dream, and we are all apart of him? Key differences are that we are conscious in Gods dream, and the Dream Characters in our dreams are not conscious ( this is also a grey area I would like tos ee discussed)

Should I make a seperate topic or just keep it here?
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

User avatar
Peter
Posts: 1951
Joined: 26 May 2011 08:02
Location: New Zealand

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Peter » 29 Feb 2012 07:09

keep it here as we can multitask ok

I am in my dreams and can do a lot of stuff ok but even when I create I dont lay out what I want to see. In real life if I build a house or plant a garden I plant it and then create it. In the dream I dont expect to see a house of any type or a garden either as I let the dream build it for me so I could say that I am more (*) I wont even use the world LOL in a dream than in real life.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Gary8847
Posts: 15
Joined: 21 Feb 2012 20:00

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Gary8847 » 29 Feb 2012 09:55

I can not prove if the or is not a God, true. And I have no special powers to force you to believe anything. The only thing I can say, I do believe. To me, the things that are written within the Bible are real.
As for life after death. That line is in front of us all. From time to time, individuals cross that line. And the stories that they bring back have one thing in common. They are not stories of death.

Besides, if you want to consider evolution. There are way too many gaps in that theory for me. The human race has been at the top of the food chain from the get go. Evolution does not explain how. We don't run very fast. Our dogs have to run circles around us to keep up. We don't really have claws to fight with. Fact to a lion or bear, we would just be a smart a%% rump roast.
The only way the human race could have gotten to the top of that food chain is. We were positioned there. And the question is, who is powerful enough to do that. Hmmmmmmm....think that would have to be God.

User avatar
lucidinthe sky
Posts: 1135
Joined: 10 Dec 2011 22:37
Location: Sacramento, California

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby lucidinthe sky » 29 Feb 2012 16:41

All the opinions below are mine and are not provable facts. I'm still seraching for the truth and that's more important to me than being "right".

Gary8847 wrote:I can not prove if the or is not a God, true.


For me, no one needs to prove the existence of God, I believe in God naturally. But then, we can't really prove the existence of anything here. But my definition of God is the collective consciousness of all living conscious entities including all of us. That's so much bigger than we are indivdually. Our universe as we know it is more difficult for me to "believe in" because its just a creation of our conscious mind. I believe that consciousness is the only thing that "exists" as we think of existence. Everything else is a manifestation of conscious entities.

Gary8847 wrote:As for life after death. That line is in front of us all. From time to time, individuals cross that line. And the stories that they bring back have one thing in common. They are not stories of death.


I also agree there is life after death, but to me this is completely common sense that our consciousness continues, that's much easier to believe than it ending after we lose this body. As far as the common things in Near Death Experiences goes, the vast majority report 2 major differences from Christianity: 1. There is no judgement only that you judge yourself based on what you wanted to accomplish in life vs. what you actually did. 2.There is no eternal hell as depicted by most Christians. There certainly are hellish states of existence, but these are a function of what the individual consciousness has created based on the choices they have made and the condition they are in because of those choices. Some indivuals have spent their entire lives creating hellish things, so guess what happens after they die? They do what they know best. Again, it's only common sense. They can get out of these states if they want to, but many choose not to so they can be there for as long as they want.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

User avatar
Peter
Posts: 1951
Joined: 26 May 2011 08:02
Location: New Zealand

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Peter » 29 Feb 2012 17:02

The near death experiance is just that and like an OBE it is a state that is experianced but not truly lived, yes the death is not lived in the sense that you do not die so we get very close and report the experiance in terms of what we know and what we believe and thats all. I feel this is a little biased and also the reporting is like tasting food in that we always relate a new food to one that we have tasted and and state it as "it tasted like..." so the experiance is tainted and limited to a existing belief system from the start.

As for evolution I thinks its all BS and the big joke is that we are the alien life that we are looking for and our meat bodies are most likely an experiment. We exist in a place and time that we cant understand but attempt to try to explain for our own comfort and security to cater for a flaw in our makeup that is the need to put everything in terms of what we think we know.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

User avatar
lucidinthe sky
Posts: 1135
Joined: 10 Dec 2011 22:37
Location: Sacramento, California

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby lucidinthe sky » 29 Feb 2012 19:03

Peter wrote:We exist in a place and time that we cant understand but attempt to try to explain for our own comfort and security to cater for a flaw in our makeup that is the need to put everything in terms of what we think we know.


I agree, although I don't think it's flaw in our makeup. It's a function of the fact that we have consciousness.

But the amazing thing to me is that no one really has any idea how we got here and where we are going after we leave here. Each one us has a departure date, that we know for sure. If we were sleeping and happen to be thinking about this, we would say, "Wait a minute, I can't remember how I got here, must be a dream." Then of course we would be lucid. But in waking life, we completely accept the fact that we don't know how we got here without questioning our "reality". We are just so sure it's all real, whatever that means, just like are in dreams.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

User avatar
Worldenterer1
Posts: 347
Joined: 03 Sep 2011 19:35
Location: Earth

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Worldenterer1 » 29 Feb 2012 19:56

Gary8847 wrote:The only way the human race could have gotten to the top of that food chain is. We were positioned there. And the question is, who is powerful enough to do that. Hmmmmmmm....think that would have to be God.


Just because people do not know how something happened, does not mean that we should come up with outrageous or far-fetched explanations.
Lucid Dream Count: 10
Normal Dream Count: 100+
Goal for next LD: Think with portals.

User avatar
Worldenterer1
Posts: 347
Joined: 03 Sep 2011 19:35
Location: Earth

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Worldenterer1 » 29 Feb 2012 20:05

lucidinthe sky wrote:I also agree there is life after death, but to me this is completely common sense that our consciousness continues, that's much easier to believe than it ending after we lose this body.


I was hoping that you might be able to help me understand your statement better. I don't see how someone's conscious could exist once their brain has decomposed. All consciousness is the brains interpretarion of signals. No brain means no signals, therefore no consciousness. I am not a brain expert, but that is my own vague idea.

I may be wrong, then and again, that is why I am asking that question about consciousness.
I feel like if your idea about consciousness after death is true, than people should have had consciousness before they were born. But they did not, bacause they had no real brain. I feel like the same would apply to death.
Lucid Dream Count: 10
Normal Dream Count: 100+
Goal for next LD: Think with portals.


Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests