The Universe and Space

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
Sarah

The Universe and Space

Postby Sarah » 29 Feb 2012 21:15

I've always wondered ever since I was young, what is the universe and space?

Is it just some "space" and it goes on forever? What is the black hole?

This is so confusing! Earth and life is confusing as well! No arguing, but I was wondering about other people's assumptions about the Universe and "Space".
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I thought was; maybe the "space" is just like, I don't know, Just blackness? Are there other planets or living things out side from where scientists never searched of? If anyone is Lucid I would like to ask them a favor.

I am not lucid yet, therefore I cannot do these "asking your dream" questions and it shows you the answer things >< So if your lucid can you,

-Maybe sometime ask your dream to show you the wonders of the world

Thanks I really appreciate it!
[color=#BFBFBF]Keep on believing[/color]

Worldenterer1

Re: The Universe and Space

Postby Worldenterer1 » 01 Mar 2012 00:37

Oh, I love threads like this. One of my favorite things to ask people to imagine is this:

Imagine that every star in the entire universe is gone. Every planet, every comet, and any piece of space junk is gone as well. There are no gasses, liquids, solids, or plasmas left anywhere? What are we left with after that? Space. Just absolute empty space going on forever in every direction. It makes a person stop and think, "what is this place? Where the hell are we?"
Lucid Dream Count: 10
Normal Dream Count: 100+
Goal for next LD: Think with portals.

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 01 Mar 2012 05:48

Yeah I have done that once as well. I also ask if there is anything else other than life, anything else other than existence. That the universe and existence itself are just a dot in the grand scheme of things. I find it hard to believe the universe can be all there is in the grand existence of all things.

Also I like asking, where is the universe?

Anyway you should read up on einstiens general theory of relativity, it has some pretty interesting ideas on what space and time is.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 01 Mar 2012 18:18

Absolute nothingness makes perfect sense.
The fact that there is anything at all is mind boggling.

How about this for thought: What if the universe was the way it is now, but with one difference-- There was no life to perceive it.
It wouldn't exist! It would be for all intense and purposes, be nothing.

But why does it appear the way it does? We can zoom into and out of this fractal we call the universe forever as long as there is something to perceive, and our brains are perception machines and quite good at finding something in nothing.

I have a theory that the universe is a consciousness and we are all a part of it.

I asked a guy in my lucid dream once, but he didn't answer me.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Gary8847

Postby Gary8847 » 01 Mar 2012 20:08

I tend to accept that the universe is a multiverse and we just live in one layer of it. And if this multiverse is a conscious, then we are a dream of it. Though I question what kind of dream this would be. A nightmare, maybe. But even that is still a dream.
But in my dreamworld, I've learned to get into my nightmares. Ever since I turned in my nightmar to face what I was running from. And found that it was nothing at all.

Peter

Postby Peter » 01 Mar 2012 20:30

we were born into this universe and will die in it as well so it exists without us and maybe that makes us and oddity. We could be the only life that exists with our form of awareness as we could just be a cosmic mistake that was not meant to be so we will have out theories that are caused by some inherant faults in how we think and as a species just wink out of existance one day and most likely to the relief of any other form of life that could be perceiving us LOL
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 01 Mar 2012 21:32

HAGART wrote:How about this for thought: What if the universe was the way it is now, but with one difference-- There was no life to perceive it.
It wouldn't exist! It would be for all intense and purposes, be nothing.

That gets back to that whole question of "if a tree falls and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?" And many would say "yes of course it makes a sound" why would it change if no one was listening. That's a good point, but I don't think that part is important.

Let's suppose the tree makes a sound anyway. And of course sound is only the movement of air at this point. If we could put the tree in a vacuum and repeat the experiment, now you must say there is no sound because sounds requires the movement of air. Air is the medium through which the sound travels and the sounds existence depends on this medium. So I think our consciousness is the medium through which the information of the universe comes into being, it still exists without us, just like the data would still be in your computer if you removed the screen.

The point is we don't perceive the universe as it really is anyway, we create it in our minds based on the inputs we have which we translate onto our "screen" of reality. The material of the universe is atoms which are something like 99.9999% empty space, yet we perceive everything as solid.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Peter

Postby Peter » 01 Mar 2012 22:10

and we cant miss the point that its not about us, its about the tree and yes it is there because someone just said it fell over
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 01 Mar 2012 23:59

Yeah I dont really like the whole "the universe cant exist without us perceiving it " concept. I mean before the earth was even created the universe existed (I mean if it didn't, the earth couldn't have been created).

The way I see it is the universe is information, not sure if its tangible or intangible information. Whether we are there to see it is irrelevant, but our brains simply transform this information in a way that we can make sense of it.

Otherwise if stuff didnt exist without us perceiving it, how are we able to discover new stars and new planets? It must exist in some form or some way in existence if we are able to detect it.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

Sarah

Postby Sarah » 02 Mar 2012 00:43

That makes sense but I mean really.. Nothingness? I cant seem to trust my instincts on that o.o It just makes no sense at all.. in some ways it does though..
[color=#BFBFBF]Keep on believing[/color]

Return to “Off-Topic”