Event focused reality checks

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
User avatar
lucidinthe sky
Posts: 1135
Joined: 10 Dec 2011 22:37
Location: Sacramento, California

Event focused reality checks

Postby lucidinthe sky » 28 Jan 2012 00:28

Here's a suggestion for reality checks that I have been trying. I have been focusing my reality checks on any events during the day when things are not quite right. Whenever I see something spelled incorrectly, my phone call doesn't go through, my computer locks up, someone says something to you that doesn't make sense, anything even slightly off I do a reality check. This seems to be helping me since dreams also have things that are not quite right and I have caught a few of them now and was able to get lucid. I've found that there are plenty of opportunities during the day to do these and it also helps you to be aware and on the lookout for things that aren't quite right.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

User avatar
torakrubik
Posts: 559
Joined: 29 Jun 2011 20:44
Location: England

Re: Event focused reality checks

Postby torakrubik » 28 Jan 2012 00:51

I also do this. It's a great thing to get into the habit of doing.
Dreaming is my drug

User avatar
HAGART
Posts: 3179
Joined: 05 Jan 2012 21:09
Location: CANADA

Re: Event focused reality checks

Postby HAGART » 03 Mar 2012 22:10

I do that too.

I can't tell you how many times things never work out for me in a dream. I have so many dreams in which I must complete a task, but every obstacle imaginable gets in the way. I lose things, can't find someone, get lost, a new problem arises... ect. Anything to keep me from finding a solution to the main problem or dilemma of the dream.

So when I get frustrated in real life about something that is not working out, I take a moment and ask myself if I am dreaming. It helps calm me and I laugh at the situation and find the solution easier.

Plus in a dream when the problem can't be solved... that is the best time to become lucid!
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

User avatar
lucidinthe sky
Posts: 1135
Joined: 10 Dec 2011 22:37
Location: Sacramento, California

Re: Event focused reality checks

Postby lucidinthe sky » 03 Mar 2012 22:40

HAGART wrote:So when I get frustrated in real life about something that is not working out, I take a moment and ask myself if I am dreaming. It helps calm me and I laugh at the situation and find the solution easier. Plus in a dream when the problem can't be solved... that is the best time to become lucid!


This an interesting topic for me, since I just had one of these really frustrating dreams that I described in another post. I couldn't find my computer bag at the airport gate and the flight was getting to ready to leave. I kept running around trying to get help, etc. repeatedly doing reality checks, sure that it must have been a dream, but every RC failed to show me I was dreaming. It all seemed normal and I figured it was one of those nightmare situations that I just wanted to wake up from.

I'm really wondering if these kinds of dreams are unresolved conflicts and better off not lucid. LaBerge says in one of his books that the early dreams which occur in the first REM cycles are dreams where you are trying to solve problems or "maintenance" type dreams and are very rarely lucid.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

User avatar
HAGART
Posts: 3179
Joined: 05 Jan 2012 21:09
Location: CANADA

Re: Event focused reality checks

Postby HAGART » 04 Mar 2012 04:28

lucidinthe sky wrote:wondering if these kinds of dreams are unresolved conflicts and better off not lucid


When I wake up, they are still unresolved.
Lucidity resolves them.

I had a dream once. It was weird. I had to sort little packages of electronic plugs that were in packages. You know the kind with the cardboard back and the plastic 'shell' surrounding it. I had to sort and deliver them, but there was one problem. I had no idea which ones were ordered and where to deliver them! I had a woman nagging me (who was my gym teacher from middle-school), and I just couldn't figure it out. I would have woken up feeling at a loss, but it was a good thing I put 2 and 2 together and became lucid. I have an active imagination and I turned her into stone and hurled her toward the wall of a building and she smashed to pieces. I felt great!

I am not bad. I only use my mind in dreams.... never my fists... so I will never act out in real life. BUT sometimes it just feels so good to overcome the main problem of your dreams!
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

User avatar
Jack Reacher
Posts: 490
Joined: 21 Jan 2012 05:03
Location: New Zealand

Re: Event focused reality checks

Postby Jack Reacher » 09 Mar 2012 05:44

I sometimes think dreams are really frustrating or even depressing on purpose, when you wake up and realise that none of the problems in the dream are real, you aren't going to jail etc, the relief feels so good and you feel much better about your life.

It also seems like murphys law is particularly true in dreams, its like the moment you imagine a possible obstacle or problem, it happens.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

User avatar
Peter
Posts: 1951
Joined: 26 May 2011 08:02
Location: New Zealand

Re: Event focused reality checks

Postby Peter » 10 Mar 2012 10:04

you are right about Murphy, he has invaded the dream world at times. I used to wake up in a big sweat thinking something that happened in a dream was real and so much relief that it was only a dream
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

User avatar
Arcadian
Posts: 57
Joined: 02 Nov 2011 22:30
Location: Mississippi, U.S.

Re: Event focused reality checks

Postby Arcadian » 22 Mar 2012 07:59

What a great idea! I will incorporate those reality checks into my life immediately. I've never thought of that. thanks.

lucidinthe sky wrote:This an interesting topic for me, since I just had one of these really frustrating dreams that I described in another post. I couldn't find my computer bag at the airport gate and the flight was getting to ready to leave. I kept running around trying to get help, etc. repeatedly doing reality checks, sure that it must have been a dream, but every RC failed to show me I was dreaming. It all seemed normal and I figured it was one of those nightmare situations that I just wanted to wake up from.

I'm really wondering if these kinds of dreams are unresolved conflicts and better off not lucid. LaBerge says in one of his books that the early dreams which occur in the first REM cycles are dreams where you are trying to solve problems or "maintenance" type dreams and are very rarely lucid.


That really unnerves me. I think I had one of those before where a reality check proved I was in reality, but I didn't know it was a dream until I woke up. I can't imagine it being a nightmare or anxiety situation. I bet that made it 10x worse.

(My main reality check is looking at my digital watch twice. It actually showed the same time when I looked back.) It never does this when I'm in a LD. I like your theory of maybe it's the minds way of dealing with unresolved conflicts. I should probably secure a few other RCs as well.
False Awakening
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii6DArXj2V0

Check out more videos on my Youtube page!

User avatar
lucidinthe sky
Posts: 1135
Joined: 10 Dec 2011 22:37
Location: Sacramento, California

Re: Event focused reality checks

Postby lucidinthe sky » 30 Mar 2012 03:47

HAGART wrote:I do that too.

I can't tell you how many times things never work out for me in a dream. I have so many dreams in which I must complete a task, but every obstacle imaginable gets in the way. I lose things, can't find someone, get lost, a new problem arises... ect.


Yes, I have had so many of these type of dreams too. Ever since I been paying attention to that, I've also realized how many similar things happen in waking life. I remember one time when I thought to myself, "Only in a dream could so many things continously go wrong." This would have to be dream, but I knew it's wasn't.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus


Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest