Hi, fake LDs, too much dream recall (?), ah, help!

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
conspiracy

Hi, fake LDs, too much dream recall (?), ah, help!

Postby conspiracy » 05 Mar 2012 16:20

Hi! I'm new here. I've been trying to lucid dream for several years now, but I usually get discouraged and give up. I've tried WILD several of times, and I've tried to foster a sense of checking to see if I'm awake (though I think I could do better at that.)

I have really good natural dream recall, and when I start dream journals, I actually find them to be quite a hindrance because I remember so many details and different dreams.... it takes too long to write them all down. Yet I have not been able to lucid dream, even when I do attempt to write all my dreams down. Suggestions?

I do have some problems with insomnia; I wonder if that's affecting my ability to LD.

Sometimes I think I have fake LDs-- I saw another post here talking a bit about that. It's like I'm still having a regular dream but the plot, briefly, is like, "Hey I think this might be a dream." But it doesn't *feel* lucid. It almost feels like a dream about lucid dreaming, if that makes sense. This has happened 2 or 3 times, but only over a span of a few years.

But as I've said, I've been trying for quite a long time. I think some people are naturals, and I'm not a natural. Any tips? I really want to lucid dream! Any folks who've had a really hard time but succeeded? How did it finally work?

Thanks, everyone!

Peter

Re: Hi, fake LDs, too much dream recall (?), ah, help!

Postby Peter » 05 Mar 2012 19:29

try easing up a little on yourself, just write up notes or bullet points for your dreams instead of detail and then let you mind wander to the detail during the day and think "this is a dream" while you recall the dreams in detail.
This might help to trigger a LD and remember we are all different and will have wide ranging opinions on what is a LD and how much control we think we had
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Hypnos

Postby Hypnos » 05 Mar 2012 21:04

That post about fake Ld's? Was it by any chance mine? Anyway, I havent had a fake Ld for a while now, I guess they seem to filter out or something.

conspiracy

Postby conspiracy » 06 Mar 2012 14:38

thanks all-- that is helpful. i like the idea of easing up, taking notes, and using my day to fill in the dream-gaps.

hypnos- i think it was yours. i think that's where i got the term "fake lucid dream" from. in any case, would love to hear more about "fake" ones. i've never had a real one, so....

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 08 Mar 2012 03:55

Hi, I wrote a post about this called "lucid dream within a dream". I had 3 of these within a week with each one getting harder and harder to distinguish from the the real thing. I thought they might eventually turn into the real thing somehow, but they went away and I haven't had one since.

For me, it was almost certainly a result of trying too hard. To me this is the hardest part about lucid dreaming: trying hard enough, but not too hard. But after some experience having lucid dreams, then dry spells, then more lucid dreams I've learned that it isn't just a matter of trying hard, but also trying right. The techniques you use and how hard you believe. Try to go beyond the barrier of getting lucid in your mind and imagine yourself there. It's good practice because lucid dreams are exactly like waking life. If I was dreaming now what would it be like? What would I do, etc. How will I react? I have found that the time to put in the effort is during the waking hours, not when you are going to sleep. When you're in bed, you need to be relaxed and just let it happen, but the preparation is done during the waking hours. I have found it very useful to meditate before bed on "the next time I am dreaming I will realize that I am dreaming" and similar things. Good luck!
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 08 Mar 2012 11:48

And I was just saying...

I can't believe this, but I go to sleep after writing the last post and guess what I have? Another lucid dream within a dream! That's crazy! And I guess I can forget about my theory of it being a result of trying too hard because I wasn't.

This dream was so cool though, I can't go back to sleep. I have to write about it. I can't remember the details about the beginning. I'm outside and there is a check to pay me for some work I did sitting on the ground, but it's raining and no way to get to it. Start getting frustrated and look at my hands to check, O.K. only 4 fingers: it's a dream! Someone hands it to me, it's inside a waterproof envelope so it's still good. Then I say to the person, "This might sound strange, but please let me touch the skin on your face to see how real it feels." After a few minutes of that I am completely amazed how perfectly real their skin feels (I now remember the feeling of the skin exactly). So I decide to tell the dream character that I am in a dream right now and isn't this so amazing? The person looks so excited and interested while I explain. "The way you can tell is look at your hands and they look so different from normal" Then there are tears on the person's face. "What's going on," I ask. The other person says, "I just looked at my hands too and guess what? I'm dreaming too!" We both look at each other shaking our heads and looking at each other for a while, then walk over to this room where a bunch of other people are gathered. I woke up at that point. WOW! Very cool.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

conspiracy

Postby conspiracy » 08 Mar 2012 13:34

wow, that's incredible!!!

i keep telling myself, okay, it's all in there in my mind, all the info i need.... just let it happen.... then it never happens. i'm starting to think i'm just able to lucid dream. but i'm going to keep trying.... keep writing.... keep imagining....

Return to “For Beginners”