Meditation

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
James

Meditation

Postby James » 04 Mar 2012 23:24

I want to learn how to meditate for WILD. the way i see it is that you dont think of anything and you just sit there like as if your unconcious completely until a thaught comes back which can take seconds or hours. Its actually quite intimidating for me... so can you explain meditation for me and an exact step by step guide for a complete bigginer to it??
Soz if bad spelling im on mi iPod
Was it worth it?

Rebecca
Site Admin

Re: Meditation

Postby Rebecca » 05 Mar 2012 00:24

In a nutshell, you can follow these steps:

- Lie down in a dark room as if you're going to sleep. I prefer on my back so I dont cut off the blood supply and get pins and needles in any limbs, but choose whatever position allows you to relax fully. Let your eyes close naturally.

- Take a few deep cleansing breaths. Breathe out your worries. This going to be to totally immersing and peaceful.

- Imagine your whole body going into a relaxed state. Start at your toes and imagine them sinking into the bed / going invisible / floating into the air (whatever feels most effective). Then work up - feet, ankles, calves, knees, etc. Up to your chest then down your arms and finish at the top of your head. Remember to release your jaw and facial muscles as these can hold tension without you realizing. Systematically visualize and focus on each part of your body, and release it from any tension.

- This should take about 5-10 minutes and by then you should be physically relaxed, breathing naturally and peacefully and seeing some hypnagogia. Turn your attention to the hypnagogia - observe it and then let it go. (If you don't see anything yet, go back to a body visualization, such as imagining you're floating above the bed. The point is to lose awareness of your body in physical space - either dissolve it altogether or create a secondary awareness in new completely different space.)

- Soon you can start creating your dream scene or OBE exit scenario, as described in the WILD tutorial: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/wake-induced-lucid-dreams.html However it is crucial you do the relaxation part first and get into the half-dream state. If you wake up in the night you may already be in this state, so without moving, go back to sleep and try to WILD.

- If you can't relax, can't stop your inner monologue after 10 mins, or just don't feel it's working, then give yourself a break and try another time. No need to "sit doing nothing for hours"! Although some meditation works by clearing your mind and thinking of absolutely nothing, there are various techniques for getting into that state first, and then the "nothing" part becomes deeply restful and you don't want to leave. If you are sitting around trying to block your thoughts then this is a tension holding exercise in itself - the idea is to let go, let your thoughts come and go, until you are at peace.

WildCat23

Postby WildCat23 » 05 Mar 2012 04:01

I have a different problem; when I wake up at night, if I decide to try a WILD, I try to focus on my hypnagogia, and vague images pop into my head. Sometimes it's someone from school, or something I did that day. These distract me and I find it difficult to block them out. Eventually, I end up loosing concentration and falling asleep. Are these vague images part of my hypnagogia, or should I try to block them out?
"I wandered home though the silent streets
And fell into a fitful sleep
Escape to realms beyond the night
Dream can't you show me the light? "
~2112

Peter

Postby Peter » 05 Mar 2012 19:33

let them come and then go, if you put effort into getting rid of them of to much thought you will lose the state you are trying to achieve.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

James

Postby James » 05 Mar 2012 21:51

Also, (this has happened a few times) I wake up after about 5hrs and practise WILD. After maybe 15 mins I feel that I dont want to feel like that "lying doing nothing getting nowhere" feeling so I just let go and acknowledge that I have become slighlty better, and try to fall asleep. 1 problem; I cant.

I simply cannot drop off, I feel sooo groggy and tired but I cant fall asleep. I tried stuff from spending 10ish mins doing something active to even a methord I invented myself about breathing through your right nostril to do something to the right side of the brain. If you understand simple neurology you will understand how this helps. (This usually helps me get to sleep in under 8mins about 60% of time.)

So anyway, this morning I only got 5hrs of sleep and then I realised we has a maths test which was quite imporant. I found it easy anyhow but what if it was seriously important like a GCSE??

I never seem to get this problem when not attempting WILD though, which is making me re-consider which methord I use...
Was it worth it?

WildCat23

Postby WildCat23 » 05 Mar 2012 21:58

James wrote:...try to fall asleep. 1 problem; I cant.

This is another of my problems.
"I wandered home though the silent streets
And fell into a fitful sleep
Escape to realms beyond the night
Dream can't you show me the light? "
~2112

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 05 Mar 2012 22:23

I often wake up in the middle of the night around 4 a.m. or so.
If I get out of bed and get a glass of water or whatever it is hard for me to go back to sleep. It can take an hour or so. BUT if I wake up and just roll over and go back to sleep I can get to sleep easier.

But doing something and then going back to sleep can lead to a lucid dream. It is the Wake back to bed method as it is called.

And in the middle of the night is a great time to practice meditation. There is no distractions other than your own mind. I haven't done any myself, but I will start because i feel it is the key to having a W.I.L.D.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Sir_Serix

Postby Sir_Serix » 05 Mar 2012 22:52

Once you go to the hipnagogic status you simply watch it and then you enter to the dream consciously?

James

Postby James » 05 Mar 2012 23:16

Sir_Serix wrote:Once you go to the hipnagogic status you simply watch it and then you enter to the dream consciously?

Im not sure as i havent personally experienced it yet, but from what others are saying i think you watch it and try to make it into a scene if it isnt one already. Then you make it as vivid as possible and soon you will "pop" into the dream. Apparently this transformation is unmistakable.
Was it worth it?

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 06 Mar 2012 16:47

The only time I have ever experienced hypnagogic imagery and sleep paralysis was in the middle of the night after a DILD lucid dream. I was already in a deep relaxed state and that is probably why I was successful. I have never had a true W.I.L.D. though and I think meditation is the key. You need to be completely relaxed.

But don't try to change the images; just let them flow. And after a while, a minute or so, I will literally just 'pop' into a 3D dreamscape and can look around and move freely.

But lucid dreams for me are a random occurance and I would love to have more control. I think meditation is the key.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “For Beginners”