What's the negatives about LD?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Caspi

What's the negatives about LD?

Postby Caspi » 26 May 2011 12:23

Everything In this world haves positives and negatives, so what's the bad things about lucid dreaming? In my opinion we can hardly find stuff that are really bad for you, but total addiction sometimes bad right? So that's an opinion if mine, lucid dreams can make you addicted to sleep If you started to get them ever night, I bet you want to get them in the afternoon or in the morning, I mean common, I'll do any thing to get a lucid dream right now! :D well that it, so what is your opinion? Can lucid dreams have bad effects on you?
And also I want to ask you all another question, do you think that we can get bored of lucid dreams?
It's kinda related to the first question.
Peace ;)
My first LD was I think when I was a child, about 11 years old, i was in a strange mountain, full of small black rocks, I knew that it was a dream, so i rolled over and over to the end of it :P.

jake

Re: What's the negatives about LD?

Postby jake » 30 May 2011 06:00

honestly theres nothing really bad about lucid dreaming. The only con i can think of is that when you first start to do reality checks regularly you really start to question if your dreaming or not in real life not just for the purpose of the reality checks.( at least i did) it took some adjusting

Jonathan

Postby Jonathan » 01 Jun 2011 04:28

The only bad thing about them, to me, is that some of the techniques could interfere with your sleeping a little, but that's easily controllable.

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 01 Jun 2011 05:57

I actually think it's impossible to be addicted to lucid dreams! Coming from someone who spends her days writing blog posts about it and nights trying to do it.... ;)

You dream for 100 minutes per night, so that's technically the most possible time you can become lucid each day, which is less than 7% of your daily existence. AND you can't turn lucidity on and off like a tap, it doesn't work like that! So, I don't think you can become addicted when this state of consciousness is so elusive... Compared to a drug or food which you can be addicted to just by picking it up and consuming it.

(A few rare people DO have lucid dreams every night, without trying, it's just their normal brain state during REM sleep. And they do actually report getting sick of it because they don't feel rested mentally. But I wouldn't call this addiction... because it's against their will. If anything excessive conscious dreaming is a sleep disorder if it negatively impacts on your daily life.)

Other possible negative outcomes (depending on your perspective):

- Increased chance of sleep paralysis
- Increased chance of false awakenings
- Increased chance of lucid nightmares
- Increased chance of out of body experiences / astral projection

However ALL of these can actually lead to MORE brilliant lucid dreams! So they are not entirely negative, it really depends on your outlook. But if you were a child practicing lucid dreaming for fun and you have a scary or negative experience without guidance on how to deal with it, I can see how that might have a negative outcome. The key, as always, is to educate yourself and the fear is thereby diminished.

alexs91

Postby alexs91 » 07 Jun 2011 08:42

i agree with Rebecca, Id say a negative of lucid dreaming for me is that i get tired of it, I wake up tired and exhausted ! I never tried to have lucid dreams, i never knew there was a term for it until the other day when i researched it because ive been having them a lot.

Peter

Postby Peter » 07 Jun 2011 12:34

tell me do you get tired from dreaming or is your lifestyle making you tired and as a result of this you are more likely to have or enter a lucid dream;

This is horse or cart stuff. I am always tired, so do my dreams make me tired or am I tired and therefore I dream
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

lu30d

Postby lu30d » 07 Jun 2011 17:02

alexs91 wrote:i agree with Rebecca, Id say a negative of lucid dreaming for me is that i get tired of it, I wake up tired and exhausted ! I never tried to have lucid dreams, i never knew there was a term for it until the other day when i researched it because ive been having them a lot.

Perhaps when we control our lucid dreams, , our brains works as much as playing a mental game, so it makes the brain tired. If it is true then your brain may not rest enough in sleep, or you may feel little tired at the morning. It is only my personal idea, may be true or false.

Seto_Blade

Postby Seto_Blade » 08 Jun 2011 20:39

Lu30d, i'm pretty sure that's right. But since you only can have around 100 minutes of REM (dreamtime) sleep a night, I would think it wouldn't exhaust the brain too much. So, ultimately I'd say the drowsiness would stem from how much actual sleep you get, and since the amount needed varies from person to person you'd have to make those corrections for yourself accordingly.

I try to get between 6-9 a night. And even with 6 I generally feel very tired throughout the day. Anymore than 9 and it just makes me pissed off at myself because I feel like i'm giving myself too much sleep.

SKJ

Postby SKJ » 11 Jun 2011 19:01

Seto_Blade wrote:I try to get between 6-9 a night. And even with 6 I generally feel very tired throughout the day.

For a few seconds I thought you were talking about lucid dreams ;)

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”