Question about Dream Recall

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
shiftmx286

Question about Dream Recall

Postby shiftmx286 » 11 Mar 2012 01:28

Hello, first post here, love the site.

Anyway, I have read at several sources, including here, that before you try any induction techniques you should first learn to recall at least one dream per night.

For the past two nights, I have recalled about three dreams each night. I know they were three separate dreams because I woke between each one. The memories did not come to me immediately. It took a while of hard thinking to remember things semi-clearly; although still pretty foggy. But I do remember quite a bit from each dream, especially the last one of the night.

My question is this, do I need to get to the point where I need to recall one dream crystal clear? Do I need to remember the dream in it's entirety as soon as I wake up? Or does it need to come to me gradually and not completely clear like they have been?

DreamSailing

Re: Question about Dream Recall

Postby DreamSailing » 11 Mar 2012 03:47

well i am not very skilled yet and i am still practicing lucid dreaming (i haven't been very consistent with it lately) however from experience i notice i can have lucid dreams even if i don't recall my dreams very clearly. i almost always remember my lucid dreams but a lot of the time i will forget my regular ones. i haven't kept a regular dream journal ever and yet i will have a lucid dream here and there if i think about it. you can lucid dream without regular dream recall but its much better if you get in the habit of remembering your dreams and writing them down which is what i plan to do since finding this site. from what i read your lucid dreams and regular dreams will become much more vivid as you work on remembering your dreams by keeping a journal. however i don't think you need to wait until you have mastered dream recall before trying lucid dreaming, but keep a regular journal if you don't already. you might begin to lucid dream, but keeping a journal will help you with it.

i hope this helps, i am somewhat a beginner too though but this is what i learned so far. if someone more experienced in LD finds i am wrong about this or one of the things i have written they can let me know. i am still learning this myself so advice and correction is welcome.
Reality is a lovely place, but i wouldn't want to live there
~Owl City, in the song The Real World

Peter

Postby Peter » 11 Mar 2012 04:50

I think all you need to do is remember some of them and also not all the details. I go from bullet points to great detail at times and think that what really matters is with recall and a journal of some sort you are making links to the dream world and this is the key to more lucid dreams
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

shiftmx286

Postby shiftmx286 » 11 Mar 2012 05:17

Yes I have been keeping a dream journal for the past three days. Each day has three dreams. I think they are quite detailed, although I am sure there are some gaps. The first two dreams are a few sentences each. The final dream is quite long (several paragraphs). From the sound of it I can start trying some induction techniques. I am currently reading Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming by Stephen LeBerge and the MILD technique sounds best to me as a beginner. Thanks for the advice :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Bleekman117

Postby Bleekman117 » 11 Mar 2012 17:54

Remember this, you can always try to lucid dream, no matter what kind of dream recall your have. All it takes is that one instant in a dream where you question the dream. The idea behind better recall is that when you have good dream recall, this means your dreams have become more vivid in nature, which is what your really after. The more vivid your dreams are, the easier it will be to spot things that are out of place.
Better dream recall = more vivid dreams = more awareness in dreams = better chance to become lucid
The mind is a beautiful thing

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 11 Mar 2012 18:36

Bleekman117 wrote:Remember this, you can always try to lucid dream, no matter what kind of dream recall your have. All it takes is that one instant in a dream where you question the dream. The idea behind better recall is that when you have good dream recall, this means your dreams have become more vivid in nature, which is what your really after. The more vivid your dreams are, the easier it will be to spot things that are out of place.Better dream recall = more vivid dreams = more awareness in dreams = better chance to become lucid

I agree with this, dream recall is just one of the first points along a spectrum of "dream consciousness" if you will, with controlled lucid dreams on the other end. The idea is move your dream consciousness through the spectrum and the further you get, the better chances of a lucid dream. Almost all of my dreams are vivid and most can be recalled. Even though a small number are lucid, the chances are much greater.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Return to “For Beginners”