Frightening Ideas

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
AHM

Frightening Ideas

Postby AHM » 11 Mar 2012 22:42

Hello and good day.

I've been reading about lucid dreaming for a couple of months now and to me it seems like the best thing ever. However, there's just one issue; In almost every place I've looked in, there has been some sort of reference to monsters and frightening figures which worries me. Just the sheer thought of dreaming gets me to the thought of "What if I encounter a monster of some sort in my dream?" and makes me unsure about what to do.(especially WILD since it contains sleep paralysis.)
I don't see nightmares often if not at all. In fact, I can't remember the last nightmare I had but it still makes me uneasy to know that there is a possibility of me facing anything scary. What makes it worse is that I'm guessing all this worrying might even increase the chance.

This is especially an issue since I haven't had any fully lucid dreams and I don't know the experience and that's what makes me wonder if I'm up to the challenge.
Would any kind sir or madam have any suggestions as to what I could do? Any ideas or comments are appreciated.

Snaggle

Re: Frightening Ideas

Postby Snaggle » 14 Mar 2012 07:05

AHM wrote:... In almost every place I've looked in, there has been some sort of reference to monsters and frightening figures which worries me. Just the sheer thought of dreaming gets me to the thought of "What if I encounter a monster of some sort in my dream?" and makes me unsure about what to do.(especially WILD since it contains sleep paralysis.)
I don't see nightmares often if not at all. In fact, I can't remember the last nightmare I had but it still makes me uneasy to know that there is a possibility of me facing anything scary. What makes it worse is that I'm guessing all this worrying might even increase the chance.

1. You'll probably not be able to WILD.

2. If you can muscle atonia is normally only experienced as a very quick dream image, rather than an SP experience so your fear of it is likely groundless.

3. Usually in a WILD one has the ability to wake up at will, so you can escape most. Doing Wilds initially ones emotions are more intense and can be extremely intense, much more so than any emotion one experiences in waking life and these are the sort of lucid nightmares it's extremely hard to either control or wake up out of, so there is real danger, but you likely will not experience one of these nightmares because of point one.

4. You'll likely only be able to do DILDs and these are not very stable, meaning you'll likely wake up in under half an hour and might do so as soon as one becomes lucid.

5. Doing DILDs you'll likely be experiencing dreams rather than nightmares, as that's what you normally experience. One can also incubate the dream one wants to have as well as the suggestion to become lucid in it.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

AHM

Re: Frightening Ideas

Postby AHM » 14 Mar 2012 20:08

I guess you're points are valid.
So I'm guessing I'm sticking to DILDs for now.
Also, thank you for the reply.

Return to “For Beginners”