An Introduction, and a Question.

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Otacon29A

An Introduction, and a Question.

Postby Otacon29A » 13 Mar 2012 07:11

Hello All,

My name is Josh. I've been aware of the existence of lucid dreaming for about 3 years now, but i never had the chance to actually start practicing it until last week, on March 10 i believe. (my life has been chaotic and full of unfortunate events in which i will not bore you with.) I'm currently halfway into the book "Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming" by Stephen LaBerge, and I've recalled a dream every morning since March 10. I have a total of 5 dreams currently recalled (twice on the 11th) and 2 of them are really long ones with lots of detail.

Now to start my question.

This morning i recalled a dream, and I wasn't sure it was Lucid or not. I won't type out everything i wrote, but only the important things.

sentence taken from my dream:
At this point I ask myself, "Where am I?, Am I dreaming?" And i realize that i was dreaming.

notes i took after i wrote down the dream:
Was this a lucid dream? I felt pretty much aware. It happened just as the book said it would happen. But how do I know it was truly a lucid dream? when in fact, to my knowledge, I've never had one. It was a very detailed dream. I remember feeling exited about the detail. Maybe it wasn't a dream. Maybe I was imposing the detail onto the dream. Maybe me being aware in the dream was only part of the dream.

What i am asking is, Is there any certain way to know that you actually have a lucid dream? Is it possible that I wasn't truly aware, and I was only "dreaming" that i was aware? Would I know right away if its lucid or not?

Thanks for the answers in advance.

lucidinthe sky

Re: An Introduction, and a Question.

Postby lucidinthe sky » 13 Mar 2012 07:34

Otacon29A wrote:What i am asking is, Is there any certain way to know that you actually have a lucid dream? Is it possible that I wasn't truly aware, and I was only "dreaming" that i was aware? Would I know right away if its lucid or not?

The way I can tell it's a lucid dream is when it goes from watching a movie to suddenly walking around in real physical reality, where you can touch and feel things. When you look around in the dream and say to yourself, "I can not tell the difference between this and waking life, how can that be? Everything is exactly the same. NO WAY this could be a dream!" One of my first LDs I had to keep reapeating to myself that it was a dream because I could not accept it. Hope that helps.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Otacon29A

Postby Otacon29A » 13 Mar 2012 10:23

lucidinthe sky wrote: "I can not tell the difference between this and waking life, how can that be? Everything is exactly the same. NO WAY this could be a dream!" One of my first LDs I had to keep reapeating to myself that it was a dream because I could not accept it.

This is very helpful and very motivating. I'm really anxious to actually find out how that experience is like. Thank you.

Toby

Postby Toby » 13 Mar 2012 12:16

Hi Josh,

there are many different levels of lucidity in a dream. At my first experiences, I felt rather unsure. Remember that if you never had lucid dreams before, you are walking on completely new land. Some people have first LDs which are really stunning so you are sure it was an LD. But lucidity may come slowly and increase over time. You describe the richness in detail in the dream, which is generally a good criterion for a LD. Also, you had a sudden feeling of "elation" (wow, this must be it...!). This is also a criterion for lucidity. A clearer sense of lucidity will develop over time. Sometimes I find myself in a LD, so in a dream where I know that I dream, but don't have the "real feeling" of lucidity or dream control. Then it helps me, to do some "deepening techniques". For example I shout: "I am in a LD!" and then the lucidity often gets more intense.

Perhaps it was a little helpful, Toby

Otacon29A

Postby Otacon29A » 16 Mar 2012 02:51

Thanks for explaining it further. I can tell that the dream i had was not close to being lucid. I have a weird way of deceiving myself in dreams. Aside from the "fake" lucid dreams. I sometimes have dreams where i wake up (inside the dream) and recall the dream i had while i was still inside the dream. Only to find out when i actually wake up, it was all a dream. It's somewhat frustrating, because its as if I'm writing down my dream twice.

Peter

Postby Peter » 17 Mar 2012 05:30

I dont quite get the expression Have a Lucid Dream. Lucid is a state acheived from within a dream and is where you become aware that you are dreaming. From there its time and experiance to get some skill and control to explore the new awareness that you have acheived. I think you experianced awareness from within a dream and even if you failed to grasp this is was the understanding that you were aware that eluded you but you WERE aware so were lucid.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Return to “For Beginners”