Can Dream Characters Develop Awareness?

Discuss paranormal activity linked with sleep and dreams, such as out of body experiences, astral projection and psychic dreams.
Rebecca
Site Admin

Re: Can Dream Characters Develop Awareness?

Postby Rebecca » 22 Feb 2012 05:30

Having thought about it some more, here are some factors that might support them NOT having self-awareness...

- Recurring dream characters don't act consistently (at least not in my dreams!) If they were self-aware they should have reasonably consistent personalities, goals and agendas...?

- When I wake up, they cease to exist, so their awareness would be snuffed out against their will. It makes more sense to me that they don't have awareness in the first place. (Unless you invoke the belief that the dream world is REAL... which is a whole other philosophical can of worms and not something I support.)

Here are my PRO self-awareness arguments....

- They can seem to act autonomously / independently of me.

- They can surprise me with the things they say.

And lastly, if we found that dream characters did have awareness, I'd also have to say that the dream itself is self-aware; some greater awareness behind the dream that isn't me.

Peter

Postby Peter » 24 Feb 2012 06:39

My early dreams were very violent and they have changed in nature a lot now and I tend to treat DC with respect. That does not mean I will get pushed around after all it is my dream but means getting what I want done or going with the flow of a dream. I am not sure if it matters how you treat them but how you feel about it, if you feel good after the dream it might be ok for you and if not then it isnt good to kill everything. I do know that a lot of the skills i gained came from wrecking and fighting DC, it does give the detached focus that is needed to stay in the dreams and thats not bad.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Graham

Postby Graham » 24 Feb 2012 20:05

I have always treated dream characters in LDs with respect (despite being male). A major part of my motivation is that it seems so much more interesting to engage with them than to treat them as puppets or toys. (I am not always nice to DCs in non-lucid dreams: they are sometimes horrible to me and I retaliate.)

My dream characters seem similar to Rebecca's. They do not seem to have any long term memory. They seem to have some short term memory, enough to have a more-or-less sensible conversation, and to hold to the same position in an argument, but little more than that. Recurring dream characters seem to have no knowledge of their previous existence, as she said.

My dream characters often surprise me: they do things and say things which I do not expect. They quite often seem to know things that I don't, and more rarely, they seem to know that I don't know, and be teasing me. That suggests that they precieve me as a separate being. On a few occasions, a dream character has set me a puzzle, I have tried and failed to answer it and they have then told me the solution. Or a dream character has told me a joke, with a setup and then a punchline which comes as a surprise. And these are puzzles and jokes which make sense upon awakening - they are not just random things which only seem to make sense within the dream. (They are not great jokes or puzzles either.) Setting a puzzle or telling a joke seems to require some planning ability, albeit very short term planning, and some ability to predict my reaction.

Peter

Postby Peter » 24 Feb 2012 20:20

There are differant levels of awareness in the DC and always a few clever ones lurking in the background. I had a lot of dreams last night and in one I was disussing dream signs with some very aware DC. I would call the dream semi lucid as I was having an indepth conversation but had not made the link to the dream world. I will post the dream in share your dreams as it was an interesting one for me.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 28 Feb 2012 13:09

Rebecca wrote:Having thought about it some more, here are some factors that might support them NOT having self-awareness...

- Recurring dream characters don't act consistently (at least not in my dreams!) If they were self-aware they should have reasonably consistent personalities, goals and agendas...?

- When I wake up, they cease to exist, so their awareness would be snuffed out against their will. It makes more sense to me that they don't have awareness in the first place. (Unless you invoke the belief that the dream world is REAL... which is a whole other philosophical can of worms and not something I support.)

Here are my PRO self-awareness arguments....

- They can seem to act autonomously / independently of me.

- They can surprise me with the things they say.

And lastly, if we found that dream characters did have awareness, I'd also have to say that the dream itself is self-aware; some greater awareness behind the dream that isn't me.

Rebecca are ones dreams non-existent when one is unaware of them? Dream characters don't cease to exist just because you wake up- you just become unaware of them. for a number of reasons I think that what we call our subconscious is really multiple versions of our self that are always conscious and always thinking and feeling separately from us (even though they'e all just parts of us). Put more simply, that our real consciousness is mutli-cored like a very complex CPU, even though we're normally only aware of our conscious self.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Peter

Postby Peter » 28 Feb 2012 19:31

snaggle - i tend to agree with you and in dreaming we are bringing some of these states together with what could be called awareness or the devlopment of another form of "us'. Its a nice concept

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 29 Feb 2012 06:52

Thats an interesting theory. Sometimes when I am trying to get to sleep I study my inner dialogue, this is going to be hard to explain but here it goes. Say I manage to turn off the song playing in my head ( which can be a fucking mission, sorry for swearing but it is) and I am able to slow down my inner dialogue and analyse each word.

Its kind of like layers of consciousness, there are LOTs of layers though. Something interesting to try out is slow down the pace of the dialogue and analyse the gaps in between the words. You will notice that there is another sentence in between the gaps, another dialogue that is talking about how you are slowing the dialogue down.

And if you manage to slow that down, you will "see" another dialogue that is making a note that you discovered the first layer.

Keep this up and you go insane! But anyway, I agree that there is loads of layers of consciousness going on, but its hard to see if they are actually aware of themselves... might give this some more thought before posting again lol
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 04 Mar 2012 05:12

I must admit, I didn't read all the responses.
But DO DREAM CHARACTERS DEVELOP AWARENESS?

It happened to me once. I was lucid, but HE took control.....

I was showing some people, (high school friends), that I was in a dream and they were not real. They were amazed by how I could levitate rocks and such. Then a person showed up. He was in his teens and wore make up like the lead singer of 'The Cure'. I asked him his name and he said, 'Gregory'. All of a sudden the ground beneath me and my friends started to rise. Gregory was with us. He said he was taking us to his god. He said his god was the scariest of all gods. I looked up and saw a fire in the sky and we were getting closer. One of my friends said what I was thinking, "Why would you want a scary god?" He didn't answer and the ground continued to rise. I had lost all control and before I got to the "Heavens which was now hell", I woke up. BUT in a different dream and I still remembered it and told everyone in the new dream about my previous one. (Like a false awakening, but in a completely different place.)
Last edited by HAGART on 27 Jun 2012 03:34, edited 1 time in total.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Tiggrr

Postby Tiggrr » 15 Mar 2012 07:59

What about bi personalities? Considering the fact I've got two others, could they enter the dream?

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 15 Mar 2012 22:55

Tiggrr wrote:What about bi personalities? Considering the fact I've got two others, could they enter the dream?

I don't see why not...their actions will be dictated by just how remote they are from your main conciousness
Dreaming is my drug

Return to “Paranormal Activity”