REM state with respect to time?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Otacon29A

REM state with respect to time?

Postby Otacon29A » 16 Mar 2012 03:02

I've noticed that the most vivid dreams occur in the last 2 or 3 hours of my sleep, and i usually sleep around 3am and wake around 11am. I decided that I would just move the time i sleep to 12mn so i could wake earlier but still have the same amount of time to dream. After doing that, I noticed that my dreams are less vivid and are harder to recall. I have read that the duration of "REM" state increases the longer you sleep, and the longer "REM" state, the longer and more vivid the dreams are.

Is it possible that the REM state is longer when it occurs around 10am to 12nn? Or there is something else stopping me from having the longer dreams that i normally had before i changed my schedule?

thanks in advance.

RosenVitae

Re: REM state with respect to time?

Postby RosenVitae » 16 Mar 2012 12:48

REM sleep is a part of your sleeping cycle. If you suddenly change the cycle, it's only natural that the cycles will be less predictable :)

I find 8 hours to give me plenty of REM sleep (also, sleeping 10+ hours can ruin your day if your body didn't need it).
Started training: 18/12-2011.
First deliberate LD: 4/1-2012 (DILD).
Lucidities after that: 26/3-2012 (DILD during nap), 1/6-2012 (DILD during nap),

Peter

Postby Peter » 17 Mar 2012 05:18

I find 8 hours to give me plenty of REM sleep

What do you use to tell you that you have had plenty of REM sleep, how do you measure it?
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

RosenVitae

Postby RosenVitae » 17 Mar 2012 10:30

Peter wrote:
I find 8 hours to give me plenty of REM sleep

What do you use to tell you that you have had plenty of REM sleep, how do you measure it?

That was a good question. Mostly because I can recall a good amount of dreams after 8 hours. I didn't consider if this is true for others aswell.
Started training: 18/12-2011.
First deliberate LD: 4/1-2012 (DILD).
Lucidities after that: 26/3-2012 (DILD during nap), 1/6-2012 (DILD during nap),

Peter

Postby Peter » 17 Mar 2012 20:46

ok thanks, I use a ZEO sleep monitor and know exactly how much time I spend in REM, Light sleep and Deep sleep and it does not always reflect dream time. It also varies a lot, REM can go from 50 minutes to over 2 hours on as little diferance as what time I go to bed and REM does not always reflect dream time as some dreams seen long for little time.
You may be correct and most likely are but I got some surprises, I got another person to use the ZEO and they had as much REM time as me but could not recall one dream. The point is the we are taking about dream recall and does not directly relate to dreams or dream time but only what we reacall of them. I have also had nights with little REM but a lot of 5 minute REM states and a lot of dreams. Total time was less that one hour alltogether.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Otacon29A

Postby Otacon29A » 18 Mar 2012 03:23

Peter wrote:REM can go from 50 minutes to over 2 hours on as little diferance as what time I go to bed and REM does not always reflect dream time as some dreams seen long for little time.

This was probably the answer i was looking for. Thanks for helping guys.

But there's something wrong again. I switched back to my old sleeping schedule since I prefer sleeping later, but now I can NOT recall my dreams anymore. Its been 2 days when I've got nothing. Usually I would have loads of things remembered from multiple dreams and for days in a row. Every day up until a couple days ago, I've been drawing blanks. I went checked my books first just so i wouldn't have to post on the forums again, but the books I've read contain nothing that could help me. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all the help.

Peter

Postby Peter » 18 Mar 2012 03:44

change in habit maybe - they will come back soon and it may be incorrect to put the dream recall to the change as there could be other things that have changed as well

Otacon29A

Postby Otacon29A » 18 Mar 2012 14:57

My thoughts as well. Ill see if I am able in the next couple days. Thanks for your input.

Return to “For Beginners”