A Small Introduction and Question

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Axalto

A Small Introduction and Question

Postby Axalto » 14 Mar 2012 00:46

Hello,

My name is Kelvin Bongers, I am an IT student from the Netherlands. A while back I got an interest in lucid dreaming via a post on a website called memebase. I googled for more information but never really did anything or considered as real because I knew noone who actually did lucid dreaming or ever experienced it myself.

A few days ago I became lucid in a dream and woke up a few seconds later. I only remember things from after becoming lucid and don't remember how it happened, but it resparked my interest and I started reading into lucid dreaming again.

I asked people in my steam (software developed by the company valve as marketplace and social network for gamers) friendlist and two people responded with that they experience lucid dreams on a regular basis and also have contact with each other about this.

My question is what would be a good reality check and how to teach myself to regularly do it. I wear glasses so what I currently do is, I look at an object a few meter away (at a distance where it would look blurry for me without glasses or looking over my glasses) and see if it is blurry. I've read that in dreams you do not need corrective eyewear and since looking takes virtually no time or efford I was able to learn myself the habit to constantly check in one day.

Is this a good technique and if not what would be a better one? If you have any questions about me just ask and I will try to answer.

Edit: I have also been planning on building an application for the windows phone to remind to do reality checks and to easily record dream logs and attached pictures of drawings (in case I decide to draw something I dreamt) but I'm starting a fulltime internship so I cannot promise I'll even start work on it.
"Once you fix something, they'll forever reagard you as Computer Genious. If it reaches this point you're pretty much screwed." -The Oatmeal

zebrafriek1

Re: A Small Introduction and Question

Postby zebrafriek1 » 14 Mar 2012 22:44

Welcome! Although I am a beginner to me that seems like a pretty good reality check. I like to plug my nose and see if I can breath just because its simple and I can remember it easily. I have heard a good strategy is to look at a clock or book and see if the words or numbers keep changing. Doing this often supposedly leads to you seeing clocks and books in dream causing you to remember to do the reality checks in dreams. I hoped this help.

Axalto

Postby Axalto » 15 Mar 2012 23:08

Thanks for the tip, I now often do reality checks but I'm having a few problems. First: I have a very low amount of dream recall, on average once a year. Second: I find it extremely difficult to lie comfortable in bed. I don't know why but it seems almost impossible for me to lie down.
"Once you fix something, they'll forever reagard you as Computer Genious. If it reaches this point you're pretty much screwed." -The Oatmeal

Peter

Postby Peter » 17 Mar 2012 05:36

Any position that will bring on sleep is fine so dont worry about being in the correct position. Dream recall is important but not the holy grail - being lucid is. One very good way to recall better is on waking up just dont move anything at all and the dream will simply just still be there. With movement you are back fully in the waking world and other processes take over. So wake up, dont move and enjoy the memories

Keen for feedback on this as it it very effective and with your recall being as it is you might get some wicked results
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Return to “For Beginners”