From a Long Line of Dreamers

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Brain Stew'd

From a Long Line of Dreamers

Postby Brain Stew'd » 16 Mar 2012 15:00

I don't claim to be an expert in LD but I've been around it all my life in one form or another. My mother comes from a village in the mountains of Vietnam where they once believed in seers that were given visions of the future. She has demonstrated a remarkable and inexplicable gift on more than one occasion.

I suffered night terrors all through my childhood and into my teens. It wasn't until my early twenties that I met a blind man that told me about LD. He taught me to let go of my fear of the unknown and become rational within the dream. If I felt a gravitational pull, if I saw a spooky figure, I was to acknowledge the dream and "go with the flow." That was all it took. My sporadic night terrors ended, replaced by strange out of body experiences and vivid dreams that seemed to last a week but were closer to ten minutes and of course sweet blissful awakenings.

At first everything was great. I believed in these dreams as if they were a metaphysical realm. But when I revealed my travels to my mother, she didn't share my enthusiasm. She said I was too inexperienced to be experimenting and that I had left myself wide open to corrupting influences. She never specifically said the devil or demons but does that matter? The corrupting influences are a world in which anything you desire is yours, a heaven of the mind. Whether you believe in god or not, there is wisdom in the idea of wicked temptations. Of vain efforts to make paradise here on earth. I was addicted. I was dreaming 10 times a day. It may as well have been LSD

And there were things in those dreams, doors, presences that were not mine. When I began to lose myself, I made the decision to quit.

I don't say this to discourage people from lucid dreaming. This was my path. I was not ready. I grew up.
I married my soulmate, we had a daughter together and every so often I find myself pulled into a dream. I'm stronger now, so I'm no longer afraid of what awaits me there. It's gotten to the point where I can slip back into a waking state to check on my wife and (sometimes my daughter if she's had trouble sleeping on her own) before I delve back into the dream to continue. I won't discourage people but please learn from my mistakes, take it slow. There are dangers there. History is filled with literature that secretly masks the ramblings of a lost lucid dreamer. The dream world has tried to fool me before, it puts my daughter or wife in jeopardy, it lures me from safety and into the depths where monsters wait to feed on the weak. If I were not as strong now, and perhaps your subconscious is not as predatory as mine, I feel like I might have been consumed.

I don't believe in astral projecting oneself to the moon to meet up with other dreamers or whatever. It's just where I draw the line. I don't know what lucid dreaming is, whether it's a personal mindscape or connected to a larger spiritual network. All I do know is that it demands respect.

I hope your dreams are sweet and life is better than your dreams.

-BS

Peter

Re: From a Long Line of Dreamers

Postby Peter » 16 Mar 2012 20:19

I disagree with nearly everything that you have posted, as it looks like you have allowed your culture or waking reality beliefs to taint your dream life. Best wishes on you chosen pathway, mine is entirely differant and I invite everything that the dreamworld offers and use this to enrich my existance in as many ways as i can

Peter
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 17 Mar 2012 13:54

Brain Stew'd wrote:...At first everything was great. I believed in these dreams as if they were a metaphysical realm. But when I revealed my travels to my mother, she didn't share my enthusiasm. She said I was too inexperienced to be experimenting

You listened to your mother-shame on you! Who does she think experiments but the inexperienced.

BS wrote: and that I had left myself wide open to corrupting influences. She never specifically said the devil or demons but does that matter? The corrupting influences are a world in which anything you desire is yours, a heaven of the mind. Whether you believe in god or not, there is wisdom in the idea of wicked temptations. Of vain efforts to make paradise here on earth. I was addicted. I was dreaming 10 times a day. It may as well have been LSD

And there were things in those dreams, doors, presences that were not mine. When I began to lose myself, I made the decision to quit.

Yes, it's annoying that people treat lucid dreaming as drugs and there are dangers lucid dreaming. No one except inorganic beings contacting contacting lucid dreamers knows for sure whether they're real or not, though if real they seem a pretty small danger.

BS wrote:I don't say this to discourage people from lucid dreaming. This was my path. I was not ready. I grew up.
I married my soulmate, we had a daughter together and every so often I find myself pulled into a dream. I'm stronger now, so I'm no longer afraid of what awaits me there. It's gotten to the point where I can slip back into a waking state to check on my wife and (sometimes my daughter if she's had trouble sleeping on her own) before I delve back into the dream to continue. I won't discourage people but please learn from my mistakes, take it slow. There are dangers there. History is filled with literature that secretly masks the ramblings of a lost lucid dreamer. The dream world has tried to fool me before, it puts my daughter or wife in jeopardy, it lures me from safety and into the depths where monsters wait to feed on the weak. If I were not as strong now, and perhaps your subconscious is not as predatory as mine, I feel like I might have been consumed.

-BS

What monsters? Even if real monsters can be defeated.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Christopaz

Postby Christopaz » 18 Mar 2012 02:58

*laughs* Sad thing for you.

Why against Lucid Dreaming? It's a good thing actually, somehow you end up to be tainted by someone and put yourself into that wrong perspective against a beneficial skill.

I hope your dreams are sweet and life is better than your dreams.

Yes, I know that. but seriously, your wasting a third of your life if you believe in that. Lucid Dreams is about filling that third, make your life more meaningful than that of the limited reality. It is also the time to do anything you want in the dream world and do what you can't do in the real world.

I'm sorry If I misunderstood your post.
Hope can do you many things, shed light in the darkness and grant you even the most complicated wishes, but you still lack something there, WILL.

check out my Triond profile : http://www.triond.com/users/Christopher+Opancia+Jr.

WildCat23

Postby WildCat23 » 19 Mar 2012 20:47

In a lucid dream, the only thing your fighting is your own mind.
"I wandered home though the silent streets
And fell into a fitful sleep
Escape to realms beyond the night
Dream can't you show me the light? "
~2112

Return to “For Beginners”