Problems with sleep paralysis

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
acek

Problems with sleep paralysis

Postby acek » 19 Mar 2012 02:51

Hello there. I'm a newbie to the whole lucid thing and I'd like to get some pointers if it ain't too much of a hassle for you guys. I've been experimenting with lucid dreams (WILD technique to be exact).

After lying down calm for about half an hour, All my body senses become numb and I feel as if I'm floating, breating also becomes heavier - I guess that's sleep paralysis. However, I can easily move any part of my body and break the paralysis which is not my intention. Every single post article / post I've read online seems to tell the same story - that getting out of sleep paralysis is very hard. Well, it ain't for me..What could I be doing wrong?

Also, I should not that I'm having a lot of trouble starting hypnagogia phase. Nothings' really happening :(

P.S: Sorry for any errors, both grammar and spelling. English is not my native language....

Axalto

Re: Problems with sleep paralysis

Postby Axalto » 19 Mar 2012 12:16

That's not sleep paralysis, it's the half-dream state you are in just before going into a dream.
Still, congratz, you came further then me with WILD. :P
"Once you fix something, they'll forever reagard you as Computer Genious. If it reaches this point you're pretty much screwed." -The Oatmeal

acek

Postby acek » 19 Mar 2012 14:10

Darn...Any tips?

Threethumb

Postby Threethumb » 19 Mar 2012 17:27

Actually, breathing heavily is a clear sign you're doing something wrong. Physiologically, you breathe very little when your body is tired or asleep. This is because the brain doesn't need too much oxygen when the body relaxes. This is also why when you get tired you yawn, because your brain goes into that mode where it makes you breathe less, though since you're still moving your brain actually needs more oxygen than it tells the body to take in. Thus, you yawn as a way to quickly take in lots of air. That said, when you start breathing heavily this is the complete opposite of falling asleep.

That numbness you feel comes only from the fact that you're not moving. When you lie down and don't move, you will sooner or later become less aware of your bodyparts, but this type of numbness is as you say very easy to break out of since your body isn't truly falling asleep. The way it sounds to me, you're thinking things like "Hmm, this starts to feel like it could be falling asleep" which is not good. To actually fall asleep, you have to shut off your thoughts. Sooner or later you will then start seeing colors and patterns "on" your eyelids. That's when your body starts falling asleep. At this point, just go with the flow and accept whatever you hear or see during this state. Sooner or later you will either end up in a dream world or "wake up" in sleep paralysis. It all depends on if you manage to conjure a dream world before the point where sleep paralysis kicks in.
I come to you with only empty hands, I have no weapons, but should I be forced to defend myself, my principles or my honour, should it be a matter of life and death, of right or wrong, then here are my weapons, my empty hands.

acek

Postby acek » 19 Mar 2012 19:57

Oh, okay, thanks. Will read a few more topics here and try to conjure something up :D

Return to “For Beginners”