Need help with my over-active brain

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Threethumb

Need help with my over-active brain

Postby Threethumb » 14 Mar 2012 10:51

Throughout my childhood and the adolescence that is now at its end, solitude has been a very major part of my life. I could list countless things I have never done when it comes to interacting with other people, and even today the social interactions I make tend to be a tad limited. Due to this, I've developed a very active mind. Sort of like a second personality that I speak and discuss with, to keep myself from despairing over my lack of actual human interaction. My problem now is, I have an extremely hard time turning it off.

I've tried meditating before and the result is the same as now. I start having a dialogue where I tell myself to clear my mind, instead of actually doing it. I just really can't stop telling myself in my head the things I'm supposed to do. I tried listening to one of those Isochronic MP3's that supposedly starts a state of mediation for you, but even then I keep thinking "over" the sounds, interpreting and analyzing what I hear or at worst try to force myself to listen because my mind is so active that it even tends to forget the fact that I'm listening to this audio. I also tried waking up after 5-6 hours of sleep, then listen to the MP3 to further calm me down but it's still the same. I just can't stop thinking. Sometimes I feel slight effects, like as if I'm losing control or that my body is going numb but I'm never able to catch those feelings and float onwards. I start getting excited and yelling "IT'S WORKING" in my mind, and thus I've ruined it and am back to square one.

So, I feel my situation is a bit hopeless. Does anyone have any tips on how to properly calm my mind down? I really want to try this lucid dreaming, because as an aspiring Director I'm a man of many dreams and fantasies. I believe being able to lucid dream could mean so much for me in regards of exploring my ideas and improving the way I visualize stories I want to tell, or at the very least let me indulge myself into my many fantasies. Before that can happen, though, I seriously need help!
I come to you with only empty hands, I have no weapons, but should I be forced to defend myself, my principles or my honour, should it be a matter of life and death, of right or wrong, then here are my weapons, my empty hands.

Gooeymaw

Re: Need help with my over-active brain

Postby Gooeymaw » 16 Mar 2012 04:26

I could have written what you did. I am in the exact same boat with you. However, I've been able to lucid dream all the same, but I am pretty much only able to fall asleep by taking antihistimines. I can pretty much literally NOT make my brain shut the hell up, and the longest I can go without thinking is about ten seconds. I am still thinking stuff up until I drift off. I also have very high dream recall, often time I remember so much I don't have time to write it all down, and I have lucid dreams quite regularly.

Meditation hasn't worked for me, nor has listening to calming music, and I've tried pretty much every suggestion and every method out there with no luck. The closest I've come to a calm mind is oddly enough when I am surrounded by people, and when their talking gets on my nerves. During this time I can turn THEM off, and I can start feeling that calm warm wobbly feeling that I THINK would occur could I do that same thing when I am all alone.

Threethumb

Postby Threethumb » 17 Mar 2012 01:31

That's interesting... I don't want to resort to drugs though. I'm not one to give up and depend on external help when I know I somehow possess the ability to do it by myself. I just need some advice on where to start attacking this problem.
I come to you with only empty hands, I have no weapons, but should I be forced to defend myself, my principles or my honour, should it be a matter of life and death, of right or wrong, then here are my weapons, my empty hands.

Peter

Postby Peter » 17 Mar 2012 03:07

IF you are serious then drop all the rubbish out of your diet, anything with sugar and caffine and spend some time alone with uourself outdoors. Go for some long walks in some quiet places and let youself calm down a little
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Threethumb

Postby Threethumb » 17 Mar 2012 11:39

Peter wrote:IF you are serious then drop all the rubbish out of your diet, anything with sugar and caffine and spend some time alone with uourself outdoors. Go for some long walks in some quiet places and let youself calm down a little

I have a habit for taking spontaneous walks already, and I'm a vegan with a pretty nutritious and healthy diet. I live in a big city though, so maybe the environment isn't very suited for calming down...

Peter

Postby Peter » 17 Mar 2012 20:34

cool it sounds like you are doing whatever you can, if there is no medical reason then its a case of finding ways to simply calm yourself down when you need to. I found that to think of one thing only and just keep coming back to it helped and in time I was able to simply shut down when I need to and when I want to. Where it started for me was to imagine that I was on top of a pillar and each thought would appear over the rim and I would tell it to go away and watch it leave. It was very abstract and the thoughts were patches of color and they would drift away. Soon enough the I would drift away and get nice and calm. This took a while and was a lot of year ago and it was also a preclude to inducing HI as in time the calmess was instant and next comes the dreams from the calmness.

Hope this makes a little sense
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Threethumb

Postby Threethumb » 19 Mar 2012 17:31

Peter wrote:cool it sounds like you are doing whatever you can, if there is no medical reason then its a case of finding ways to simply calm yourself down when you need to. I found that to think of one thing only and just keep coming back to it helped and in time I was able to simply shut down when I need to and when I want to. Where it started for me was to imagine that I was on top of a pillar and each thought would appear over the rim and I would tell it to go away and watch it leave. It was very abstract and the thoughts were patches of color and they would drift away. Soon enough the I would drift away and get nice and calm. This took a while and was a lot of year ago and it was also a preclude to inducing HI as in time the calmess was instant and next comes the dreams from the calmness.

Hope this makes a little sense

It does make sense. So, you think I should try to focus on one thing instead of trying to shut everything off? I'll give it a try!

Peter

Postby Peter » 19 Mar 2012 22:01

if you respond to everything then your mind just gets busier and you get more and more worked up with random thoughts. I used to try to see each one come and then push it away, they can only come one at a time (multitasking is myth) so let them come and then watch them go. It took me years to deal with an over active mind but in time it came. Find something that works for you, try something like focusing on a colour and keep trying to imagine it or bring it back each time an annoying thought comes along.

Threethumb

Postby Threethumb » 20 Mar 2012 00:20

Peter wrote:if you respond to everything then your mind just gets busier and you get more and more worked up with random thoughts. I used to try to see each one come and then push it away, they can only come one at a time (multitasking is myth) so let them come and then watch them go. It took me years to deal with an over active mind but in time it came. Find something that works for you, try something like focusing on a colour and keep trying to imagine it or bring it back each time an annoying thought comes along.

I will definitely try this! It makes sense!

Bleekman117

Postby Bleekman117 » 20 Mar 2012 17:38

Try this and tell me how it works, when you go to bed, pay attention to your breathing, gradually slow it down and count your breaths. If your mind kicks in and starts analyzing, rather than responding to it, just observe it. Let it take you to different places, visualize what it is going on about. What you say is a flaw, I say is a FANTASTIC lucid dreaming tool. You might very well be ahead of the game in the WILD department. Your active brain can work greatly to your advantage. Think of it like this, you are not interacting with your mind, but rather observing it, as if you are watching a movie.
The mind is a beautiful thing

Return to “For Beginners”