Questions for Rebecca

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
TheLotusEater

Re: Questions for Rebecca

Postby TheLotusEater » 15 Mar 2012 05:03

Hey, my name is Logan :) I'm 13 and I tried Lucid Dreaming. It went from watching the patterns in my eyelids to Dream Paralysis. I felt weight gain on my body parts but then I heard like demonic whispering but I wasn't dreaming yet, I think. Btw, this happened to me like 5 minutes ago :roll: Can I do anything to prevent that? :?:

Beck_14

Postby Beck_14 » 15 Mar 2012 19:00

Hi :)

I discovered this website only yesterday and became really intrigued about lucid dreaming! I read about it all day, and decided to try some of your techniques.
However I read multiple things online about people saying that sleep paralysis is terrifying.
Then when I went to bed last night I got too scared to try anything because I was so afraid of sleep paralysis :/

In fact I was too scared to sleep altogether which seems irrational to me now that it's the morning...
But I wanted to ask you if this would actually happen if I wasn't even trying to lucid dream in the first place?

Please help! :|

Christopaz

Postby Christopaz » 16 Mar 2012 10:55

Oh Hi there!

What is the difference between Isochronic and Binaural beats?
Since I checked out the net and found Isochronic is. well, expensive.
Hope can do you many things, shed light in the darkness and grant you even the most complicated wishes, but you still lack something there, WILL.

check out my Triond profile : http://www.triond.com/users/Christopher+Opancia+Jr.

SuicideSilence

Postby SuicideSilence » 17 Mar 2012 12:10

Beck_14 wrote:Hi :)

I discovered this website only yesterday and became really intrigued about lucid dreaming! I read about it all day, and decided to try some of your techniques.
However I read multiple things online about people saying that sleep paralysis is terrifying.
Then when I went to bed last night I got too scared to try anything because I was so afraid of sleep paralysis :/

In fact I was too scared to sleep altogether which seems irrational to me now that it's the morning...
But I wanted to ask you if this would actually happen if I wasn't even trying to lucid dream in the first place?

Please help! :|

Sleep paralysis is nothing to be afraid off. Its a natural process that happens every time you fall asleep, it is like a protecting mechanism your body uses to prevent itself from performing the same movements as you do in your dream. The thing about WILDs are to trick your body into falling asleep while keeping your mind awake. And it's a lot harder relatively compared to other methods. And honestly, I haven't had a WILD yet cause I cant resist the urge to sleep in one position. But from what I hear, Sleep paralysis feels like a led blanket covering your body from bottom to top. It doesn't hurt at all. So, I'd say you should give it a shot.

Sir_Serix

Postby Sir_Serix » 17 Mar 2012 23:16

Hi Rebecca,
last night I had a lucid dream,and I have realized once I woke up that even if I'm lucid I can't remember some things.
Eg.: When I had that dream,the first thing I did was flying,but I completely forgot my new lucid dream objective (It's about portals,but it's not important),neither I remembered that maths keep my mind "awake",I only rubbed my hands.
So,my question is: is it normal? is there any way to "solve it",or at least remember things?
Sorry if I've got errors,english is not my native language

Doctorjuice

Postby Doctorjuice » 20 Mar 2012 01:56

Ugh, sorry to pester you with so many questions.

My lucid dreams have started to become frequent, I had three over the course of three days and two in one night. They have only lasted less than 10 seconds each I would say. The latter two of my lucid dreams ended in fear, the first I couldn't remember why, but the second I remember quite vividly. I looked away from a woman and then back at her, now having three eyes and in the process of eating my arm. Needless to say, this caused a very intense fear in me and I woke up within seconds. In one of my previous lucid dreams I also met a disturbing figure. In a sense, I fear my own fear, or fear thinking negative thoughts because I believe they will manifest themselves when I am lucid dreaming (and they do!). This is partly because I've read some horrifying stories of lucid dreaming gone bad.

So, in a sense, I am fearful of lucid dreaming even though I very much want to realize the awesome possibilities that they offer. That is one explanation for why these disturbing figures are showing up in my lucid dreams (note they don't show up in my regular dreams, only my lucid ones).

Another explanation is this is a result of some insecurity or fear I have (I have one in mind, but I'd rather not share it). Both are equally plausible in my mind.

So, I am kind of gunshy of lucid dreaming now, I've stopped doing techniques and writing down my dreams because I don't want to screw my mind up or experience such intense fear again. At the same time, I really want to realize the awesome possibilities lucid dreaming has to offer.

Any advice?

Ikamon357

Postby Ikamon357 » 26 Mar 2012 04:07

Doctorjuice wrote:Ugh, sorry to pester you with so many questions.

My lucid dreams have started to become frequent, I had three over the course of three days and two in one night. They have only lasted less than 10 seconds each I would say. The latter two of my lucid dreams ended in fear, the first I couldn't remember why, but the second I remember quite vividly. I looked away from a woman and then back at her, now having three eyes and in the process of eating my arm. Needless to say, this caused a very intense fear in me and I woke up within seconds. In one of my previous lucid dreams I also met a disturbing figure. In a sense, I fear my own fear, or fear thinking negative thoughts because I believe they will manifest themselves when I am lucid dreaming (and they do!). This is partly because I've read some horrifying stories of lucid dreaming gone bad.

So, in a sense, I am fearful of lucid dreaming even though I very much want to realize the awesome possibilities that they offer. That is one explanation for why these disturbing figures are showing up in my lucid dreams (note they don't show up in my regular dreams, only my lucid ones).

Another explanation is this is a result of some insecurity or fear I have (I have one in mind, but I'd rather not share it). Both are equally plausible in my mind.

So, I am kind of gunshy of lucid dreaming now, I've stopped doing techniques and writing down my dreams because I don't want to screw my mind up or experience such intense fear again. At the same time, I really want to realize the awesome possibilities lucid dreaming has to offer.

Any advice?

I think that you should continue lucid dreaming and perhaps try a session of self hypnosis rebecca mentioned on her website only with the outcome keeping you from fearing lucid dreams. Hyhpnosis is not a science fiction. Your minds absolute basis for this is about its fear. If anything is going to mess with your mind, it would be your phobias. I also recommend trying to eliminate this fear inside a lucid dream or during a WILD attempt when your subconscious is exposed through your conscious access so, like in the movie inception, the idea can naturally grow and form itself in your subconscious so your brain will stop having these scary dreams. I hope this answer helps you.
What's the most resilient parasite? an idea. A single idea from the human mind can build cities. An idea can transform the world and rewrite the rules. Which is why I have to steal it.
~Cobb

TheBarracuda57

Postby TheBarracuda57 » 27 Mar 2012 18:34

Hi there Rebecca. I'm Barry and new to this site.

I am 18 and have been able to lucid dream since the age of 5. At the age of 12 I could lucid dream so regularly I had one every three nights. I got worried that because of this, I couldn't have normal dreams (when my subconscious helps me with mental stresses in real life), I forced myself to forget my dreams in the morning to stop having lucid dreams (the dreams which had no message compared to the unconscious ones). I eventually lost my ability all together, forcefully. Age 14 I found out what I could do was "lucid dreaming". I have been visiting your site for 4 years. I have tried so many things but to no avail. I get maybe 2 lucid dreams a year, maybe 3.

I have 3 questions I really need answering. I would be infinitely grateful if you could help.

1) Because I used to be able to do it loads before, is it possible for me to unconsciously remember what I did to have those dreams? When I try consciously (through the day) to remember what I did when I was younger, it seems that the harder I focus on Lucid dreaming.. the less dreaming I actually have. Do you think something like reverse psychology ("I won't have a lucid dream tonight/I won't be able to remember how I lucid dreamt when I was younger"), would find the solution deep within? I can't explain this any better. The main question is: how can I remember what I used to do in order to be lucid? I'm sure my old technique is deep in my subconscious, but I don't know how to get to it..

2) What do "you" personally do before you sleep? Eg. write what you want to do in your dream, meditate, eat and think about when you close your eyes and drift to sleep. I'm just curious to know..

3) Finally. I had a recent dream where I was in a field. My friends were in the middle at this huge table. Surrounding us were dragons and trees. I was so focused on what my friends were saying, I wasn't any paying attention to myself or the obvious dream dragons. I always seem to be focused on my friends in dreams. I think because of this I never look around to see if there is anything abnormal about where I am. I mean.. a table in a field.. and dragons? Yet I still passed these off in the dream as real. What can I do during the day to improve focus on the dream world? Do I need to focus more on what I'm doing and what is around me.. rather than focusing on my friends or crowds? Can you help?

Thank you for your time, Barry

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 30 Mar 2012 03:55

Dreamcatcher wrote:Hi Rebecca,

I am practicing the technique called MILD which was introduced By Stephen LaBerge.In his book he says that one of the prerequisites to successful MILD is prospective memory training.

Is it compulsory to practice prospective memory training?

Every night, I wake up in the middle of REM period. I try to recall dream, visualize being lucid, in short I attempt MILD and it isn't successful but on days when I am having difficulty getting to sleep, I get a lucid dream.On such days I don't attempt MILD as such but just think of lucid dreaming.I don't visualize I don't recall dream in the middle of night I'm just trying to sleep because I am tired and need to sleep badly.Im awake for long periods waiting to sleep.

Last night I got an OBE and as lucid dream as well.This is the second time I'm getting an OBE when I am having difficulty getting to sleep although this time I couldn't separate some parts of my body. So I gave up and then happened a lucid dream this is maybe the 5th time a lucid dream has occurred during having a difficulty to sleep period.

The thing is, I'm confused whether I'm a getting lucid dream because of MILD or just because of difficulty in sleeping because When I'm having difficulty having sleeping I think of lucid dreaming and I'm wake for long periods during midnight.Am I attempting some sort MILD with less intention during such nights?.I know somethings working but what? Is it because My diligent MILD attempt isn't successful due to lack of prospective memory training?

Sorry for any grammatical mistakes.

Prospective Memory Training is a way of creating and responding to memory cues while you are awake. For example, the next time you hear a dog bark, you must ask yourself "Am I dreaming?" If you forget, you need to improve your memory skills. If you remember - congrats!

LaBerge's argument is that if you can't respond to memory cues while awake, you have little chance of responding to them while dreaming. So he sets an exercise of doing WAKING triggers and checks, before you begin to plant IN-DREAM triggers for your lucidity.

So, yes, I think it's very important (if you're going to use the MILD technique) to be capable of achieving this. Some people already have very good waking awareness / memory and won't need to do much training. Others will need practice. The only way you'll know how good you are is to try his Prospective Memory exercise and see what you score, then decide how much more memory training you might need.

I don't know exactly what's triggering your lucid dreams/OBEs, but you're clearly doing something right!

If I were to guess:

-- Sleep deprivation is not recommended for lucid dreaming, but you may be experiencing phases of REM rebound (intensive catch-up dream sleep) which could be contributing to dream intensity/awareness.

-- You may be incubating lucid dreams just by thinking about it, but without using the MILD technique specifically (there are many ways to incubate a lucid dream; MILD is just one well-known variation).

-- If you haven't practiced Prospective Memory Training, it may be holding your MILD attempts back. Stephen LaBerge is not only the leading expert, he is the creator of MILD, and so when he says it's a pre-requisite (ie necessary requirement) then I believe him. If your memory is already awesome, perhaps you have already achieved memory training through day-to-day-life. Do the exercise and find out!

Finally, keep doing what works. Keep a record of your practice and how it correlates to lucid dreams, and you'll figure out what it is. But try not to lay awake all night worrying about lucid dreaming -- getting sufficient sleep is much more important for your mental and physical health.

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 30 Mar 2012 03:57

TheSilentOne wrote:Hi Rebecca,
I'm kinda new to lucid dreaming, but I just had a question about a couple of the terms I've read on this website.
You talk about lucid dreaming intentions in one article, and I understand how setting an intention can help maintain an LD, but how is that any different from dream visualisation?
Just wondering. Cuz the terms kinda confused me. :D

The idea is to create a lucid dream intention during dream visualization.

An intention is a noun. It's the wish you want to fulfil when you're next lucid.

Dream visualization is a verb. It's the practice of imagining your intention in detail.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”