Problems with remembering dreams

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Axalto

Problems with remembering dreams

Postby Axalto » 16 Mar 2012 09:23

I've always had trouble remembering dreams, the last three dreams I remember where one a few days ago (when I first became lucid in a dream), one in the middle of last year and one from when I was 4 years old.
I am keeping a dream journal, but are there any more ways to increase dream recall?
"Once you fix something, they'll forever reagard you as Computer Genious. If it reaches this point you're pretty much screwed." -The Oatmeal

Christopaz

Re: Problems with remembering dreams

Postby Christopaz » 16 Mar 2012 12:26

Try having a lucid anchor, or have self hypnosis, its not only Dream Journals that help dream recall, but they are a major part of doing it.
Hope can do you many things, shed light in the darkness and grant you even the most complicated wishes, but you still lack something there, WILL.

check out my Triond profile : http://www.triond.com/users/Christopher+Opancia+Jr.

RosenVitae

Postby RosenVitae » 16 Mar 2012 12:41

You dream multiple times each night/morning, so it's not because you don't dream :)

A dream journal is only the 2nd step in recalling dreams. The first step is to actively recall anything atall.

You could try this:
Right after waking up, ask your self out loud "What did I just dream?" and then just enjoy the morning comfort. You ask this question to your subc. mind, which will fill you in if you just keep relaxing. This works best when you're still "woosy" (aka experiencing hypnagogia). If you find yourself too woosy, try sitting up comfortably, so you wake up just a little more (but don't grab your journal just yet). Just sit there and keep asking a few times, out loud "what did I just dream?".

You can also read some articles on dream recall to see if there are more methods.

If you try this, let me know how it went.
Started training: 18/12-2011.
First deliberate LD: 4/1-2012 (DILD).
Lucidities after that: 26/3-2012 (DILD during nap), 1/6-2012 (DILD during nap),

Axalto

Postby Axalto » 16 Mar 2012 13:54

Thanks, I'll try to remember doing that next time I wake up. I sleep with an alert clock, does that change anything? I have a busy life for which I have to wake up early so I cannot sleep without it or I'll arrive too late at work. I've got a 3 friends who say they lucid dream quite regulary and they always describe lucid dreams as so awesome.
Edit: Also I have asperger spectrum disorder, does that change things?
"Once you fix something, they'll forever reagard you as Computer Genious. If it reaches this point you're pretty much screwed." -The Oatmeal

RosenVitae

Postby RosenVitae » 16 Mar 2012 14:05

I have Asperger's Syndrome myself ;)

An alarmclock is quite fine. Actually, if you ever snooze, and can fall asleep in between those 9 minutes, then it's a perfect timeframe to recall (or even have another dream).
Started training: 18/12-2011.
First deliberate LD: 4/1-2012 (DILD).
Lucidities after that: 26/3-2012 (DILD during nap), 1/6-2012 (DILD during nap),

Axalto

Postby Axalto » 17 Mar 2012 09:32

Thanks, it worked. After waking multiple times in the morning but falling asleep again, I had a dream, remembered it and wrote it down.

Aonir

Postby Aonir » 17 Mar 2012 09:37

so there are more ppl with things like that, i hope my ppd-nos wont wreck anything.
Destiny such an easy word, for such a hard thing to find.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 17 Mar 2012 22:45

If I wake up and get up right away and start doing things, the dream world becomes a distant memory. Even if I wake up and stay in bed, but start to mull about my waking life and the day's upcoming events, that too disrupts my dream recall.

Set your alarm for an hour before you need to wake up and go to sleep at night at the according time to get sufficient sleep. It is a great way to live; basically you get to 'sleep in' every day! However you miss out on all the great late night talk shows! :?

The past few days, I too, have had trouble recalling my dreams. I remember bits and peices, but don't remember a 'story' like I usually do. I usually remember one part of a dream and it leads me to remember before and after that event and I can put most of the dream together from there. But in the past few days, I haven't; I have a feeling there was no story but just bits and pieces of imagery that didn't last too long. Perhaps some people don't have full blown stories or dilemmas for dreams, but just imagery that feels right at the time when you are asleep, but seems bizarre when you awaken and try to remember.

But no matter how vague or weird... write it down. It is the best way to start dream recall. Lucid dream is another story, one that is random when it happens to me and eludes me when I try.....
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Peter

Postby Peter » 18 Mar 2012 00:05

dont get to hung up on dream recall as It will come and go. When I wake up in the early hours and I do every night then I might write down the dreams from the first part of the night and all I need to get recall in the morning is a simple note like "biking" or " ship on the sea" same for the morning when I wake again. I quite often forget the dreams in the first par and they may or may not come back. I am still not shore if it helps for Lucid dreaming and am tending to think that it might not. I have WILDS and spontainious LD and at times get lucid from questioniing something in a dream. The most i have recalled is 13 dreams in a night and also have nights where I cant recall anything although that is rare but it does happen. The journals are great to read through and I am glad that i keep them but again am not sure if it helps with LD
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

redboyryn

Postby redboyryn » 21 Mar 2012 02:30

i started trying to recall dreams and lucid dreaming last night
when i went to bed i tried out some binaural beat video, and tried going to sleep with a clear mind
i mean clear as in nothing
when i went to sleep i had a dream and woke up after it and remembered the whole thing,
even when i went to sleep and woke up again,
it could have been that i went to sleep with an empty head and that caused me to remember the dream
maybe this could help, but when i had the dream, it was one where i was like a puppet being controlled by the dream.

Return to “For Beginners”