new(ish) to lucid dreaming, beginning to lose hope

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
ingestiblebulk

new(ish) to lucid dreaming, beginning to lose hope

Postby ingestiblebulk » 18 Mar 2012 19:40

Hello, everyone. First, let me say how glad I am to find a lucid dreaming forum that's actually active. forums i've found before haven't been posted to since like 2008.

I have a problem: I've been trying to learn lucid dreaming for quite some time now, on and off for probably more than a year. I'm trying to use a WBTB/WILD technique so that i can get skilled enough to just use WILD whenever I go to bed. The problem is that I'm getting nowhere. I do reality checks several times a day (something like 10-20) and I keep a dream journal. The WILD technique I use is that I'll count from 1-100 and keep repeating "you are dreaming." The problem is that this seems to keep me awake, and I never start falling asleep. I'll keep at it for nearly an hour, then give up and just let myself fall asleep and hope to do a reality check in my dreams, which I never do. Any advice to help keep me from giving up?

Enter_DreamS

Re: new(ish) to lucid dreaming, beginning to lose hope

Postby Enter_DreamS » 20 Mar 2012 13:52

I haven't had a lucid dream either. But what you need to do is not give up hope, just like with other things it takes time. I've been practising for about 3 months and only about 3 times after I wake up do I realise I've been close to realising I'm dreaming.

Also don't tell yourself you can't do it, you'll be surprised how this affects your ability to lucid dream, instead believe you can do it and that it will happen! Clear your mind of any doubts and just think to yourself that "I will Lucid dream" or "I will remember to do a reality check!" Try being confident in your thoughts too, say to yourself "It will happen, of course it can happen and it WILL happen!"

The more you believe that you can do this and the more reality checks you do, and with more practise then the more likely it will be that you become Lucid in a dream. Hope that helped!
It's over.

Bleekman117

Postby Bleekman117 » 20 Mar 2012 17:02

First off, DO NOT GIVE UP. It is easier than you think. A couple tips i would give you is don't try to start off with the WILD technique. That is one of the most advanced LD techniques. WBTB is good, but start trying the MILD technique. Secondly, a common problem with beginners is that they want to LD so bad, they actually create a mental block because they are trying so hard. My advice? Take a week off, don't try to LD or anything for the week. Most of the time, the break is exactly what you need to get you over the hump. I know it gets frustrating, I myself was at it for a solid five months with no results, took a few months and just forgot about it, then went back to trying to LD and had my first one in the second week. It just takes patience and perseverance. Everybody can LD, its been proven in science, just stay focused on your goal.

PS. I would recommend going to buy the book "Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming" by Stephen LaBerge. This book helped me immensely and I got it for about nine dollars at my local Barnes and Noble.
The mind is a beautiful thing

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 21 Mar 2012 06:06

ingestiblebulk wrote:I have a problem: I've been trying to learn lucid dreaming for quite some time now, on and off for probably more than a year.

I did the same thing: worked at it on and off for probably 2 years with no success. But when I really worked hard consistantly I suceeded. You have to be patient. The first one is the hardest because of the mental block you build up. The great thing about lucid dreaming is that you get paid back in full for all of your effort. The harder it is, the more you will appreciate and enjoy it.

It was very difficult for me, but I got it all back. I actually enjoy the challenge of it now because I know how the rewards are so great. Keep going, you have a lot to look forward to.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 21 Mar 2012 07:59

ingestiblebulk wrote:Hello, everyone. First, let me say how glad I am to find a lucid dreaming forum that's actually active. forums i've found before haven't been posted to since like 2008.

I have a problem: I've been trying to learn lucid dreaming for quite some time now, on and off for probably more than a year. I'm trying to use a WBTB/WILD technique so that i can get skilled enough to just use WILD whenever I go to bed. The problem is that I'm getting nowhere. I do reality checks several times a day (something like 10-20) and I keep a dream journal. The WILD technique I use is that I'll count from 1-100 and keep repeating "you are dreaming." The problem is that this seems to keep me awake, and I never start falling asleep. I'll keep at it for nearly an hour, then give up and just let myself fall asleep and hope to do a reality check in my dreams, which I never do. Any advice to help keep me from giving up?

You should not be attempting WILDs unless:

1. One is an experienced meditator

2. One spontaneously experiences hypnagogic images

3. One has spontaneously experienced WILDs

4. One is an experienced lucid dreamer who wants to expand their range

Counting, prayers and mantras are just means to help one slow ones brain until one hits theta waves and HI occur. One can ride them in to REM sleep, but in themselves they're just a means to occupy the brain and maintain awareness. I was all of the first three when I taught myself to lucid dream. Most people can't do the direct WILDs upon going to sleep. You may never be able to do them or be able to do them only after a lot of effort.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

ingestiblebulk

Postby ingestiblebulk » 22 Mar 2012 03:23

Snaggle wrote:
ingestiblebulk wrote:Hello, everyone. First, let me say how glad I am to find a lucid dreaming forum that's actually active. forums i've found before haven't been posted to since like 2008.

You should not be attempting WILDs unless:

1. One is an experienced meditator

2. One spontaneously experiences hypnagogic images

3. One has spontaneously experienced WILDs

4. One is an experienced lucid dreamer who wants to expand their range

Counting, prayers and mantras are just means to help one slow ones brain until one hits theta waves and HI occur. One can ride them in to REM sleep, but in themselves they're just a means to occupy the brain and maintain awareness. I was all of the first three when I taught myself to lucid dream. Most people can't do the direct WILDs upon going to sleep. You may never be able to do them or be able to do them only after a lot of effort.

ok, so I have been making progress in the past few days. I've gotten very close when I wake up and try to get back to sleep. I start to drift off, and I can start feeling my limbs tingle, but it keeps passing on before I get too deep. My question is this: do you still think I should move to a different method? I ask because it seems like you're saying that the real block is getting from that point to an actual LD.

Return to “For Beginners”