Beginner Questions Welcome!

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Bleekman117

Beginner Questions Welcome!

Postby Bleekman117 » 20 Mar 2012 17:25

I wanted to open up a topic for all of you frustrated beginners out there. Many people have the same problems and questions, but they are spread over many topics so you people that have the same questions may not be able to find the answers that are already there. This topic is to help any and all beginners; I will answer all questions as best as I can, so without further a due, shoot!
The mind is a beautiful thing

Chackøwsky

Re: Beginner Questions Welcome!

Postby Chackøwsky » 21 Mar 2012 00:54

Thanks for this! I have been trying to lucid dream for about 5 weeks now and still can't seem to get it. It is very frustrating. I have kept a dream journal and recorded many about 12 dreams so far and I do reality checks daily. I try to do the MILD technique when I wake about in the night, but it doesn't seem to be working either. Can you give me some tips for the MILD technique? I don't fully understand it yet.

Thanks!
"All is the Nightmare! How I have waited for his... trapped so long in darkness beneath the waves, waiting and growing in strength with its guidance... growing until the time was right. Now the Emerald Dream has become the Emerald Nightmare!"

Doublea

Postby Doublea » 21 Mar 2012 01:06

You've only have had 12 dream recalls? I've been trying for about 3 and half weeks, I usually recall 1-5 dreams each night so about 60+ dreams. I believe I need to work on my reality checks, I just forget to do them. I haven't tried any other techniques. Which lucid dream techniques should I try?

Bleekman117

Postby Bleekman117 » 21 Mar 2012 16:45

Chackøwsky wrote:Thanks for this! I have been trying to lucid dream for about 5 weeks now and still can't seem to get it. It is very frustrating. I have kept a dream journal and recorded many about 12 dreams so far and I do reality checks daily. I try to do the MILD technique when I wake about in the night, but it doesn't seem to be working either. Can you give me some tips for the MILD technique? I don't fully understand it yet.

Thanks!

The MILD technique is all about visualization and affirmation. When you go to bed, dreaming should be the last thing you think about before you fall asleep. First off, before you even start the technique, you need to relax yourself completely. I have learned a good technique for this. Start at your feet and work your way up your body through each muscle group. Flex each muscle group, notice what the tension feels like each time, and then release the tension; always telling yourself that the release is greater than the tension preceding it. Once you have completely relaxed, you can do one of two thing; or both if you want to. The one i've found that works better for me is the visualization. Remember the dream you had last night. Now play back through the dream in your head, only this time, visualize yourself realizing its a dream and becoming lucid. After that continue with the dream as you would if you were actually lucid. This is a great way to implant the idea of becoming lucid in your subconscious. The other is just the self affirmations; repeating "I am dreaming" "This is a dream" "I will have a lucid dream" etc... until you fall asleep. Do this every night and I would bet you will experience a lucid dream within a week or so.
Last edited by Bleekman117 on 21 Mar 2012 16:58, edited 3 times in total.

Bleekman117

Postby Bleekman117 » 21 Mar 2012 16:53

Doublea wrote:You've only have had 12 dream recalls? I've been trying for about 3 and half weeks, I usually recall 1-5 dreams each night so about 60+ dreams. I believe I need to work on my reality checks, I just forget to do them. I haven't tried any other techniques. Which lucid dream techniques should I try?

Well it sounds like you are already in a good position. Since you have so many dreams and (I'm assuming here) your dreams are vivid, it shouldn't take you too long to experience your first LD. So first off, for the reality checks, a good way to remind yourself to do reality checks is write LD on your hand or wrist with something that wont easily rub off. Then every time you see it during the your waking life, do a reality check. Eventually you want to get to the point where you just randomly think to yourself that you need to do a reality check. I myself actually got a tattoo on my left wrist that says "Is This A Dream" :P As for what techniques you should use, most beginners start with the MILD technique. I would also say you can combine the MILD with the WBTB for even better odds. But you just have to experiment and see what suits you best. Oh, and about the reality checks, don't just ask yourself if your dreaming, nonchalantly look around and say no. Actually examine your surroundings, analyze how everything looks, smells, sounds, feels. And really ponder if you are actually dreaming or not. You haven't experienced it yet, but when you get into your first LD, you will be utterly shocked at how real everything is! I know I was! :)

Doublea

Postby Doublea » 22 Mar 2012 00:23

Thanks! Just wondering, can you (or somebody) explain those two techniques?

Nico

Postby Nico » 22 Mar 2012 02:17

At first I'm 13 years old. I've found that lucid dreaming is very interesting. I only like WILD method for LD. But I have some problems. At first, I don't like waking up at 5 am because my alarm clock sounds a lot and sometimes it wakes my parents or sometimes I don't remember I have to wake up at this time to induce an LD and I sleep normally. It's also scary for me having a WILD at 5 am because of the sleep paralysis, so I normally try WILDs while taking a nap. My dad also finds this very interesting and he sometimes sleep in my room so I don't freak out. Ok, normally when I try WILD I watch the LD subliminal video (http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/videos/lucid-dreaming-subliminal-video.html) , then I go to my bedroom, turn on my ipod to listen to binaural beats for LDs and try to relax. The neariest experience I had to LD (I think so) is that after seeing those figures (hypnagogic) I started to see flashes, but as I was taking a nap and binaural beats stopped, I stopped focusing because of the noise that my brother was making and I "woke up". Was Iclose to LD? The last thing is that I also try WILD at 10pm. Could that work?

PD: Sorry for my English, and I tried to explain as far as I could

(My copied post)

staciafuchsia

Postby staciafuchsia » 22 Mar 2012 04:23

thanks for this thread! Here's a question I wrote in my introduction thread a bit further down the page --

I've seen some mention on these boards of a "plan of action" as a way of confirming lucidity and maintaining it... i.e. if you're doing something you thought of while awake, you're definitely lucid, and as long as you're doing that thing you'll probably stay lucid. Right? How do you decide on an appropriate plan of action? And-- what do you do if you discover you can't enact it in your dream? I mean, I can do a lot more in my lucid dreams than I can when I'm awake, but I do feel my ideas of "reality" resisting my attempts to change things. For example, I can fly in my dreams, but in one of these lucid dreams, I tried to fly with my boyfriend on my back and was reduced to taking big hops instead because he was so heavy. Any advice on getting over these sorts of realism humps?

Bleekman117

Postby Bleekman117 » 22 Mar 2012 16:32

Doublea, look on the world-of-lucid-dreaming website, they have detailed instructions on every lucid dreaming technique.

Bleekman117

Postby Bleekman117 » 22 Mar 2012 16:36

Nico, honestly if you aren't an experienced LDer, the WILD technique is not really the way to go. It is the most advanced form of LD induction. You can continue to try if you want but it will be very hard to induce a WILD for your first LD because you have never experienced it before. My advice would be to start out with the MILD technique and once you get pretty proficient in that, then move on to the WILD
Last edited by Bleekman117 on 22 Mar 2012 16:44, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “For Beginners”