melatonin

Discuss external aids which help you lucid dream including brainwave entrainment, supplements and herbs, lucid dream masks, and more.
ingestiblebulk

melatonin

Postby ingestiblebulk » 19 Mar 2012 06:13

so, my sleep schedule is all screwed up lately, and my roommate suggested i take melatonin to help regulate my circadian rhythm. When I looked it up to make sure it won't screw with my attempts to lucid dream by cutting down on REM sleep or something, i found just the opposite, that it tends to boost REM sleep and increase vividness in dreams. Does anyone here take melatonin to help with lucid dreaming, or have you? I'd really like to know if this will help, because i'll probably buy a bottle in the near future if so.

Axalto

Re: melatonin

Postby Axalto » 19 Mar 2012 12:13

I've heared that melatonin doesn't screw up lucid dreaming but actually helps it. On the other hand however, I took it a while back (3 years) to balance out concerta medication and as a sleep drug it's actually pretty weak to my opinion.
"Once you fix something, they'll forever reagard you as Computer Genious. If it reaches this point you're pretty much screwed." -The Oatmeal

ingestiblebulk

Postby ingestiblebulk » 20 Mar 2012 02:46

well, i'm not really looking for something to put me down. since i'm trying WILD, that would be counterproductive anyway. thanks for the advice. a nice, weak sleeping pill might be exactly what I need.

chuck218

Postby chuck218 » 22 Mar 2012 02:33

i have a sleeping disorder and wake up every hour on the hour unless i drink use drugs or some kind of sleeping aid. my psych said try melatonin. i got the 3mg tablets and take 5 of them before bed. i will notice i have crazier dreams than i normally would and more of the time nightmares than anything. i take celexa and buspar and prozac for my ptsd and other marine corps gained mental issues.. fun!... it could be the mixture of all together but from what i notice vitamin shop sleeping blend worked the best for staying sleep and being able to control my dreams. it has hops velatrian root melatonin and 3 other herbs. i know how to control my dreams though. if u dont know ur dreaming u wont be able to control it. melatonin in itself is weak sauce in my opinion. try that vitamin shoppe one and u will knock out and if u know what ur doin u can do some pretty crazy things for the whole night of sleep without waking up once. wake up feeling rested too

Bleekman117

Postby Bleekman117 » 09 Apr 2012 02:31

I personally dont take melatonin, however one of my buddies does and he has has told me that whenever he takes a melatonin and a fish oil right before bed, he always has a lucid dream.
The mind is a beautiful thing

satopnek

Postby satopnek » 24 Jul 2012 23:03

I sometimes take it. My understanding is that you take it when you go to bed and it suppresses REM sleep in the first part of the night. When it wears off your REM rebounds in the later half of the night, so you stay in REM longer during the most productive time to dream.

lucidity4life

Postby lucidity4life » 07 May 2016 14:47

it works great but make sure you buy the pure stuff because the fillers may not be what you want. some supplements contain traces of mercury and aluminum which damage and destroy brain cells and clog the pineal gland. which are vital for dreams! proceed with caution.
botanicalguides.com - live love dream - Botanical Guides is a comprehensive guide to oneirogens and other ethnobotanicals a-z.

shutterbugjen

Postby shutterbugjen » 07 Jun 2016 23:41

I use melatonin, and recently upped my dose from 3 mg to 5 mg, and I haven't noticed an increase in lucid dreaming, but my non-lucids are much more vivid and have continuity- a clearer beginning, middle, and end. It's only been about a week on the higher dose, but I'm hoping that the clearer dreams will eventually lead to more frequent lucid dreams.
"for a dreamer, night's the only time of day..." -Jack Feldman, Santa Fe

Sunflowerbader

Postby Sunflowerbader » 11 Oct 2016 08:39

chuck218 wrote: i take celexa and buspar and prozac for my ptsd and other marine corps gained mental issues.. fun!...

Hey Chuck218,

Do you find that lucid dreaming helps you with ptsd? I want to start qualifying as a counsellor and I am interested in thereputic lucid dreaming.

Return to “Lucid Dream Aids”