Can't quite get from Sleep paralysis to dream

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Yickfou

Can't quite get from Sleep paralysis to dream

Postby Yickfou » 22 Mar 2012 09:46

So I'm trying to Wild.

I lay down on my back and focus on my breathing until I feel the "lead blanket" come down on me. once I feel the blanket has covered me fully I was just kind of waiting in the darkness for something to happen. I spent literally almost an hour in that state (one hour from the time I laid down until I woke up, so more like 40 minutes probably) with nothing remarkable happening. I sort of alternated between 3 things while I waited in limbo.

1)I tried a hypnosis technique to try and send my into dreaming. I told myself I would count down from ten and when I reached 1 I would be dreaming and imagined walking down stairs while I counted. It made the sleep paralysis feel heavier and my breathing faster and the second time my eyes started fluttering like crazy but nothing past that ever seemed to happen.

2)I tried intense visualization. This felt mostly just like a vivid daydream. I could imagine sensations quite vividly but it never clicked into actuality and my minds eye only ever saw what I was focusing on and never clicked into the panoramic view of a dream.

3) I tried "exiting" the sleep paralysis. I tried swinging up and down until my dream self lifted up out of my sleeping body to hopefully pull myself into a dream. I ended up just struggling really hard until I disturbed my sleep paralysis and now I am here :P

any tips on how to get from the empty limbo to dream state would be great :)! Thanks

Snaggle

Re: Can't quite get from Sleep paralysis to dream

Postby Snaggle » 22 Mar 2012 10:47

Yickfou wrote:So I'm trying to Wild.

I lay down on my back and focus on my breathing until I feel the "lead blanket" come down on me. once I feel the blanket has covered me fully I was just kind of waiting in the darkness for something to happen. I spent literally almost an hour in that state (one hour from the time I laid down until I woke up, so more like 40 minutes probably) with nothing remarkable happening. I sort of alternated between 3 things while I waited in limbo.

This is not really SP, nor is it even common to experience SP when doing a WILD. If you're brain had been fully awake while in muscle atonia you would have experienced what feels like an electric pulse going from the base of your skull down ones whole body. When doing a WILD one normally only experiences Rem muscle atonia as a brief ( as in at most two seconds) dream image.

1)I tried a hypnosis technique to try and send my into dreaming. I told myself I would count down from ten and when I reached 1 I would be dreaming and imagined walking down stairs while I counted. It made the sleep paralysis feel heavier and my breathing faster and the second time my eyes started fluttering like crazy but nothing past that ever seemed to happen.

2)I tried intense visualization. This felt mostly just like a vivid daydream. I could imagine sensations quite vividly but it never clicked into actuality and my minds eye only ever saw what I was focusing on and never clicked into the panoramic view of a dream.

3) I tried "exiting" the sleep paralysis. I tried swinging up and down until my dream self lifted up out of my sleeping body to hopefully pull myself into a dream. I ended up just struggling really hard until I disturbed my sleep paralysis and now I am here :P

Don't do any of this crap!

Ideally one should be physically tired, so that one can count on ones body falling asleep fairly quickly on it's own. Don't pay any attention to it even if not that tired. Close one's eyes and watch the field for hypnagogic images. I personally look upward at the center of my forehead.to get HI or NREM dreams one needs to be in a theta state. I can feel the difference between normal consciousness and the WILD (aka theta wave state) it does not happen just by closing ones eyes one is slowing ones brain waves down. Ideally one should be able to stop thought and emotion altogether. All the crap you're doing will keep ones brain in normal waking consciousness.

One just rides HI into NREM dreams and then into REM dreams.

any tips on how to get from the empty limbo to dream state would be great :)! Thanks[/quote]
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Yickfou

Postby Yickfou » 22 Mar 2012 18:24

Thank you for the reply.

And thank you even more for quoting Syrio.

That is one badass Bravosi

Peter

Postby Peter » 22 Mar 2012 20:32

I can feel the difference between normal consciousness and the WILD (aka theta wave state)

Is the theta wave state the feeling I get when I am all but in the dream. I go from normal awareness to a mid state that I think is light sleep and them my mind changes and I am all but in the dream. Its about where the spots of colour start pulsing and after this the images and dream will form up and I am there.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Yickfou

Postby Yickfou » 23 Mar 2012 02:39

Tried again this afternoon. Took a nap. I laid down like I was going to sleep and try to calm my mind completely. All I did was look for Hypnogogic imagery. I saw some vague faces and such but never could quite cross to dreams. having a tough time with this.

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 28 Mar 2012 08:37

Peter wrote:
I can feel the difference between normal consciousness and the WILD (aka theta wave state)

Is the theta wave state the feeling I get when I am all but in the dream. I go from normal awareness to a mid state that I think is light sleep and them my mind changes and I am all but in the dream. Its about where the spots of colour start pulsing and after this the images and dream will form up and I am there.

Sounds like it Peter. Sorry for not replying sooner in real life a four year old Amazon was on my PC for over a week. I love her, but was happy to see my niece leave :D

Yickfou once you really see the hynagogic images it should be easy to transition into NREM dreams and then REM dreams. Good luck.

I agree Syrio is obviously the sifu everyone wanted.The full scene http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mnao1w7Vw The game of thrones is the best show on TV and the best that will likely ever be on it in anyone's lifetime. I saw it on justintv and had to subscribe to HBO :D
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Peter

Postby Peter » 28 Mar 2012 08:47

Thanks - I know the state and change to that state very well. Lately I have had a run of WILD and OBE by becoming more sensitive to the change and now think that at the point of change I am already functioning in a dream body and have been able to simply get up and walk away. There are some suttle feelings in my hands and at times other parts of my body that confirm the use of OBE or wait for some HI and go that way. It does not always work but has shown a lot of promise in the last few weeks
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Return to “For Beginners”