W.I.L.D. Transitional State: My experience in layman's terms

Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.
HAGART

W.I.L.D. Transitional State: My experience in layman's terms

Postby HAGART » 22 Mar 2012 20:33

I don't know how I become lucid sometimes more than other times... it just happens at random for me. And when it does, I tend to lucid dream several times in one night.

Sometimes when I am lucid in a dream, I wake up, but don't fully awaken and I keep my eyes closed. I can feel something different happening in my brain. Perhaps it is a different wave pattern as others have brought up, which happens when we are in a lucid state or a dream state for that matter. I can just feel it, and then I slip back into a dream again.
I was conscious of my surroundings, and millimeters from waking up (if it could be measured in distance...)
BUT I DON'T. Then strange stuff happens and I enter a lucid dream again. (There are technical terms for this, but I prefer to be a layman for now.)

Two days ago, I had a lot of experience with this state because it happened to me about TEN TIMES IN A ROW! And it is this transition that I believe is crucial to master to experience W.I.L.D.s at will.

The first time in the morning that it happened, I felt, not quite a buzzing sound in my ears, but a muffled white noise. I felt myself sinking, but it had been awhile since this last happened to me and I was close to waking so I got too excited and the adrenaline cut it short. I relaxed again, and the feelings came back, but I again got too excited. I finally gave up.

When I washing fresh basil in a sink preparing food, I decided I didn't want to do that and I wanted to return to bed, so I did. Then I woke up and realized I was just in a dream. I remember Snaggle saying he has an 'oh duh! moment and that's what I needed to do. I got immersed in a dream and didn't realize it. I thought it was a good experience non the less and wished I could have more. And later that morning I did.

The actual lucid dreams were very short and I didn't have much control, but the transitions back to them were fascinating. Sometimes I felt like I was standing and I simply fall backward, or I float to the ceiling, or I fall down a long pit. One time I felt a sharp thing poking into the soles of my feet, and other times it felt like something was tickling my feet. I felt like I was in a hallway one time and started to get pulled backward and the hall got longer and longer, the light at the end, got smaller and smaller the further it got. Then I would 'awaken' in weird bed rooms or dingy underground tunnels. Then it was simply a matter of 'standing up' and walking around. Once I could move freely I was in a lucid dream again.

I don't know why I had so many in a row all of a sudden, my mind was just in the mood I guess. After I woke up I wrote down some techniques that worked for me. Basically I had to RELAX COMPLETELY. Letting go of this side of reality is hard when you are so close to waking and aware of it. (WE all let go of this side of reality when we dream all the time, it is common, but hard when you are aware of it.) I found it helpful, as you are letting it happen, to focus on something else, something neutral. I tried focusing on my breathing and that helped. I read on this site that some people count. I tried that. I counted backwards from 10, and when I got to 8 I decided to count up because backwards takes too much thought (your mind has to be blank like a white canvas). And one time when I was falling down a pit, and could see the walls rushing upward around me, I yelled. Not in fear, but more like when you are on a thrilling roller coaster. It helped get my mind off of REAL reality and focused on all the weird imagery, and sensations I was feeling at the time instead until it 'solidified' and 'stabilized' into a lucid dream world.

I'm sure there are many books that explain this and many others have experienced similar things, but I just wanted to put it in my own, laymen terms.

One last thought: One time when I was seeing many images that came and went, I saw a bus in a city, and it was moving and it was extremely real, but it was just for a moment before another image came. I don't know how many flashed before my eyes before it became 'real' and lucid but it got me thinking. I know the lucid dream is not real, but there is a thin line between watching an image (no matter how real) of the bus, and 'actually being there'. It's the sense of place, and having a body, and being in a 3D world that is the final step, and if you are not aware, it can elude you, and you will be immersed in a dream and not know it. And when I remember the lucid dreams, the visuals where out of whack and completely unreal, but it felt real enough when I was there at the time. (I put 'felt' in bold because that is the final step: When it feels like you are there.)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Peter

Re: W.I.L.D. Transitional State: My experience in layman's t

Postby Peter » 22 Mar 2012 20:59

Nice post and interesting. There are some fine lines between in and out of the lucid states and I am trying to get more sensitive to them. One fact that I have been aware of lately is how often I am in the sleep state and aware of it in bed but waiting for images to come and then the dream to appear with me in it. I relax, get to light sleep and then REM while aware. At this point I am asleep but used to wait for HI to get stronger but now I have tried at this point to simply project myself to a point in the room and quite often can be obe and walking there. Its taken years to get the fact that at the point of my mind dropping into the calm spot I am already asleep and it is my dream body that is aware. I need more work on this as there are some physical signs that let me know I am there and want to get better at understanding them.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 22 Mar 2012 21:25

Peter wrote:I am already asleep and it is my dream body that is aware

Yea, that is what it felt like. Sometimes there wouldn't be much of a transition at all. I would be laying in a bed still trying to go to sleep and then suddenly realize it is not my bed at all and I am already asleep! Then I 'get up' as real as if I was getting out of real bed and I would explore the strange world my mind has made for me starting from there. When this was first happening to me in the past year, I felt like I was actually getting up and walking around my house and sleep walking in a daze. Now I know better.

But sometimes I lay there for awhile before I realize that it is a dream and I can get up and move about at my own free will because the transition was subtle and it feels too real. Sometimes it feels like I failed at my attempt to stay lucid and I wake up, but not really, and I am still in a dream.

And the best reality check is the feel of it. Sometimes you just know it. When in doubt do other RCs, but sometimes.... you just know!

Peter

Postby Peter » 22 Mar 2012 23:42

What amazes me is that In hindsight I must have spent countless hours asleep and aware in my dream body waiting for a dream to come along and the truth is that I could have go up and walked away anytime I wanted. I know the feeling in my body that occurs just a little before I get the REM state in my mind and know that I have slipped into the state where I can enter a dream and can get there a little faster now.

Also of interest was one after noon when I went in and out 3 or 4 times I think (I posted this) and just kept going into a dream, out and then back in and all OBE. The dreams were not long that day but it was interesting to play around with it
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 24 Mar 2012 23:42

I think I know what state you are talking about, it basically becomes second nature when you slip into that mood. I will just lay in my bed and before I know it whatever is in my minds eye just suddenly becomes a full vivid dream without even trying. However sometimes I dont actually go into a dream, I can picture the dream really well in my mind, I can move around and such but its not the full 3D effect, and I just get this weird buzzing sensation that is kind of uncomfortable in my head, then im back staring at darkness...

It also happens with hypnogogia, I will be really into the hypnogogia, the dots form a plane that seems to rotate and swirl around in weird angles I never experience, I picture a dreamscape in my minds eye but thats all it ever is, its just in my minds eye. Then it gets really intense and the buzzing feeling comes into my head, its likes my body is trying to get to sleep but I just cant.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 29 Mar 2012 01:49

Jack Reacher wrote:t also happens with hypnogogia, I will be really into the hypnogogia, the dots form a plane that seems to rotate and swirl around in weird angles

I'm not exactly sure what hypnogogia really is and it seems different for everybody. Sometimes I see faces flash before my eyes very rapidly and some of them very alien in nature... Other times I see random vehicles flash before my eyes, but the key word for me is "FLASH BEFORE MY EYES" (very rapidly like a strobe light).

And it doesn't take long before it settles and you find yourself immersed in a 3D dream world. (that is my laymen take on my experience. It is different for everyone and even for me each time!)

Just this morning I was finding my self 'falling back' (NO IMAGERY, BUT A SENSATION OF FALLING OR SLIPPING) into a dream in the early morning, but I was distracted and I couldn't do it. My cousin and aunt were talking too loud! I was able to create a 2D image of a dream on the floor in front of me that almost matched their speaking... But it didn't work. I forget what happened after that... I was too immersed.

BUT AFTERWARD, I REALIZE HOW RIDICULOUS IT WAS BECAUSE I DON'T LIVE WITH MY COUSIN OR AUNT AT ALL!
I was already in a dream! I was too busy about the 'distraction' that I forgot I was already still asleep just trying... TRYING TO GET TO SLEEP! It is weird. Our minds have a way of coming up with solutions for impossible events and a lot of dreams seem rational at the time.

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”