Confused...was this an OBE?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
jmaliaga

Confused...was this an OBE?

Postby jmaliaga » 27 Mar 2012 04:03

I'm a newbie & have wanted to lucid dream for a while. However, this post is about a possible out of body experience that I think my husband had 2 nights ago. I need everyone's help or any info anyone may have on it.
The first night, he kept jerking his leg in his sleep like he was falling, which I've noticed he normally does when he's in the stage between wakefulness & sleep, so I didn't think anything of it. But the jerking didn't stop. He then woke up & told me that when he went to close his eyes (he knew he wasn't dreaming, he knew he wasn't asleep or awake, he knew he was in bed), he would feel like he was floating in a very calm & peaceful place. It wasn't like our house or anything, it was just in the air, like in the clouds. He tried to pull back to escape to get back to the "real world" but couldn't. He said it felt like something was calmly pulling him away. So, he thought he was dying. When he woke up to tell me this, he started talking about death & saying how he thought it was his time to go. This is how real it felt to him. This continued happening on & off for about 20 minutes (him trying to sleep, jerking constantly, waking up). During these 20 minutes, I saw he was crying while he was asleep, as if he was crying in a dream. He would wake up freaked out, then try to go back to sleep, & the jerking would continue. He finally woke up completely & had a panic attack & couldn't breathe.
This floating/falling sensation happened to him again last night, but he was so extremely tired that sleep eventually took over.
Any information I find on OBEs says that when they happen, the person is floating in a place they know & they are looking down on their own body. This isn't what happened to my hubby, but it's the only explanation I can see. I also read that OBEs happen rarely. I just think it's weird that it's happened 2 nights in a row & that on the first night he floated every time he closed his eyes, instead of just floating once, then going back to sleep normally after that.
This really worries me, because the sheer look of horror on his face the first time it happened was unbelievable. He truly thought he was going to die.
Was this an OBE or was it something else? How can he stop it from happening? If it does happen again, what should he do? Should he try to fight it or just go with it & see where it takes him?

Any information would be great.
I'm sorry it's so long. I just need any help I can get.

Arcadian

Re: Confused...was this an OBE?

Postby Arcadian » 27 Mar 2012 06:49

OBEs do not always include the person looking back at their body, I believe it's astral projection that requires that. I think what your husband experienced was an OBE or a dream similar to an OBE.

His fear probably came from not having experienced an OBE before. It can sometimes be frightening if you are unsure about it or have no clue what's going on. I would definitely tell him to go along with it and see where it takes him and to have a good and adventurous outlook on it. It's all in his head, so his expectation plays a huge role in how negative or positive his OBE/dream will be.

I felt fear during my first few OBEs and projected some evil hallucinations in my room, but now that I understand it and am used to it I have not had a negative experience since.

Hope this helps. Keep checking back, I'm sure someone else will respond with more knowledge on the matter.
False Awakening
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii6DArXj2V0

Check out more videos on my Youtube page!

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 27 Mar 2012 14:27

He was in the phase state. It is a hybrid state of consciousness that incorporates both wakefulness and dreaming.

The Phase = OOBE/AP/LD
http://research.obe4u.com/about-the-phase/
http://obe4u.com/?page_id=8

The diagram in the first link depicts three states. WEC, the phase, and REM. WEC simply means "waking with eyes closed. I don't have to tell you about REM. Although most phase experiences happen in REM, the state also incorporates the wakeful element (lucidity).

Yes, I am saying that OOBEs and lucid dreams are one and the same. What it boils down to in this case is how your friend interpreted his experience. For him, it wasn't dreaming, it was being truly out-of-body.

But we all know that lucid dreaming can emulate any kind of experience with as much realism as being awake if not more at times (hyperreality).
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 28 Mar 2012 08:52

jmaliaga wrote:...He then woke up & told me that when he went to close his eyes (he knew he wasn't dreaming, he knew he wasn't asleep or awake, he knew he was in bed), he would feel like he was floating in a very calm & peaceful place. It wasn't like our house or anything, it was just in the air, like in the clouds. He tried to pull back to escape to get back to the "real world" but couldn't. He said it felt like something was calmly pulling him away.

This really sounds like a flying dream rather than an OBE, though one does not need to look at ones body in an OBE.

So, he thought he was dying. When he woke up to tell me this, he started talking about death & saying how he thought it was his time to go. This is how real it felt to him. This continued happening on & off for about 20 minutes (him trying to sleep, jerking constantly, waking up). During these 20 minutes, I saw he was crying while he was asleep, as if he was crying in a dream. He would wake up freaked out, then try to go back to sleep, & the jerking would continue. He finally woke up completely & had a panic attack & couldn't breathe.

This part sounds exactly like adult night terrors. My niece has them and she does all this stuff in them. She also continues crying when she wakes up for 10 minutes to half an hour.

This floating/falling sensation happened to him again last night, but he was so extremely tired that sleep eventually took over.
Any information I find on OBEs says that when they happen, the person is floating in a place they know & they are looking down on their own body. This isn't what happened to my hubby, but it's the only explanation I can see. I also read that OBEs happen rarely. I just think it's weird that it's happened 2 nights in a row & that on the first night he floated every time he closed his eyes, instead of just floating once, then going back to sleep normally after that.
This really worries me, because the sheer look of horror on his face the first time it happened was unbelievable. He truly thought he was going to die.
Was this an OBE or was it something else? How can he stop it from happening? If it does happen again, what should he do? Should he try to fight it or just go with it & see where it takes him?

OBE are just like lucid dreams some people can experience them at will, but most people only experience them once or a few times in their life times. You and him should start researching adult night terrors and look online for a night terror forum to talk with other people experiencing them.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Return to “For Beginners”