Is our skull above the sky?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.

Do you think your skull is above the sky?

Yeah bro
No votes
No wtf?
75%
Undecided
25%

Total votes: 4

Jack Reacher

Is our skull above the sky?

Postby Jack Reacher » 30 Mar 2012 00:08

I have been interested in consciousness/perception, mind body problem etc for a while now and I stumbled across Rupert Sheldrake. Apparently the current model for science is that our mind is soley located inside our brain. Information (light) enters our eye and our brain decodes it into useful information, and then projects it inside our mind so that we can see where we are going etc.

So apparently everything we see/sense is just a projection inside our mind. This isn't too hard to believe in principle as we are used to Lucid Dreaming, something very similar ( the dream world is inside us (or is it??!!))

This would imply that when you look at the sky, the sky is an image in your mind, which is inside your brain, and you skull is outside of your brain so your skull is actually above the sky.

It would also imply that there is an objective reality outside our senses that could be totally different, our brain could be tricking us into believing this world is real. It also kind of explains hallucinations and such.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

Peter

Re: Is our skull above the sky?

Postby Peter » 30 Mar 2012 00:25

There is a great section in a book that talks about this and how we take in the light and see what we see inside out mind. This is then projected as a perfect virtual reality for us to get around in. The next trick is the energy that fills our body and forms up in exactly the shape as our physcial body and allows us to interact with this projection. So yes what we see is only that and is only one reality or a clever adaptation for us to survive in this place and time
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 30 Mar 2012 04:49

I think it also fits with natural selection/evolution. Species that can accurately map reality should stand a better chance against predators. What I wonder is why we even need to map this stuff, if we are just physical systems then shouldn't we be just as fluent and in synch as other physical, non living systems?

I like looking at things with a reductionist perspective because it kinda hints that the alternative of dualism is more plausible.

It also makes me wonder how atoms and such know where each other are, that is, atoms that connect to each other to fulfill their electron needs and such, but thats another topic.

Peter

Postby Peter » 30 Mar 2012 04:54

In simple terms we have adapted so we can survive and now we are doing that ok our main focus as a speices seems to be around comfort so there should be scope for another step up in the food chain to a higher species. (as in a lot of sci-fi)

That aside we only see what we need and perceive as we are trained to do so plenty of scope to move beyond this I think
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 30 Mar 2012 05:22

Something interesting I once saw on some youtube vid, some professor said that they did experiments with frogs. Basically a frog will die if you place it in an cage full of dead flies because it cant see the flies, because the flies aren't moving. Apparently all frogs can see is moving dots and such because that is all they needed to evolve to to survive.

Also a kind of trippy idea is that if our skull is above the sky, touch your head and feel your skull. Its strange because you sense the skull in one location, but you are looking at the sky and your skull is above the sky.

I do believe that everything we see is a virtual projection, but I don't believe it is limited to our brain, I dont think that everything we see is like a miniworld inside our skull, I think its like an abstract construct that isn't even located in the space/time grid... but thats just my belief i dont think any of this stuff is proven really.

Peter

Postby Peter » 30 Mar 2012 06:29

its a hard as where do you start. If you close your eyes you can adapt and could in time live ok with out sight - blind people do and so expect their reality is a little differant from sighted people. Neither point of view really helps the other in any way, so how do you move beyond this concept and try for a reality that has any meaning or how do you create the reality that you want. The problem is if you do then of course you will find your answers and the proof you need (my cycnical view on religion comes out here) but right or wrong how does it help anything in anyway

Return to “Off-Topic”