Q: How do you experience Hypnagogia?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
RosenVitae

Q: How do you experience Hypnagogia?

Postby RosenVitae » 16 Mar 2012 03:05

It's been a while :)

I've recently learned how to induce hypnagogia and fall asleep (even when thoughts could keep me awake for hours into the night, so I'm very grateful for this skill).

Various articles here describe the experience of hypnagogia to be shapes and colors in various motions that hypnotize you. As a written example, I perfectly understood what hypnagogia was, but my experiences of it is specific enough to make me curious: Do people experience hypnagogia differently from me and, if so, how many different ways is hypnagogia experienced outthere (here)? :)

- My hypnagogia is like a beginning dream. I see people (real or cartoon), objects, landscapes and such. Within moments, they become quite vivid and interactive (for instance, I once "got hold of" some sort of small submarine scope, which I looked into, and I could feel how the detailed landscape I saw through it became vivid, pulling me in. I had realizations that I had some sort of surroundings, even without looking around). Ofcouse, if I start having thoughts ("Oh, this is hypnagogia"), I snap out of it, but a new scenario quickly comes with even more intensity.
Started training: 18/12-2011.
First deliberate LD: 4/1-2012 (DILD).
Lucidities after that: 26/3-2012 (DILD during nap), 1/6-2012 (DILD during nap),

Gooeymaw

Re: Q: How do you experience Hypnagogia?

Postby Gooeymaw » 16 Mar 2012 04:18

I think I experience it more like you do, except for people are usuaully not part of it. It's almost always scenery, and nothing that I am actually trying to see. I will see indoor scenery and outdoor scenerey equally. I also sometimes expereince just the flowing colors, with extremely complex and animated patterns.

Aonir

Postby Aonir » 16 Mar 2012 10:15

i myself see colors being absorbed in a single point like circles growing smaller, im not sure if that is hypnagogia
Destiny such an easy word, for such a hard thing to find.

RosenVitae

Postby RosenVitae » 16 Mar 2012 11:55

Gooeymaw wrote:I think I experience it more like you do, except for people are usuaully not part of it. It's almost always scenery, and nothing that I am actually trying to see. I will see indoor scenery and outdoor scenerey equally. I also sometimes expereince just the flowing colors, with extremely complex and animated patterns.

Come to think of it, I don't really see people (not for a long time, anyways).

Back many years ago, I pondered the difference between consciously created images (that I could see clearly and manipulate easily), and the very detailed ones, that for some reason were more obscure and beyond my control (like it was forming in another area of my mind). It was actually a little frustrating back then, hehe. But I recall seeing mickey mouse and goofy ect. Perhaps because I was more into cartoons at that time.

Aonir wrote:i myself see colors being absorbed in a single point like circles growing smaller, im not sure if that is hypnagogia

Is this what you experience just before falling asleep? If so, does it "pull you in"?
Started training: 18/12-2011.
First deliberate LD: 4/1-2012 (DILD).
Lucidities after that: 26/3-2012 (DILD during nap), 1/6-2012 (DILD during nap),

Aonir

Postby Aonir » 31 Mar 2012 16:00

RosenVitae wrote:
Aonir wrote:i myself see colors being absorbed in a single point like circles growing smaller, im not sure if that is hypnagogia

Is this what you experience just before falling asleep? If so, does it "pull you in"?

it pulls me in, however it happens when meditating without going to sleep too sometimes
Destiny such an easy word, for such a hard thing to find.

Return to “For Beginners”