Reality Checks

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Barakabomba

Reality Checks

Postby Barakabomba » 31 Mar 2012 20:15

I have started using a watch with an hourly beep to do reality checks. I am doing them regularly but I have been having trouble taking them seriously. I don't think I will do them in my dreams because I just feel very routine checking the clock, looking at my palms, and trying to push my fingers through my hands every hour on the hour. Is there a recommendation to make these reality checks feel more important?

LucidKey13

Re: Reality Checks

Postby LucidKey13 » 01 Apr 2012 01:07

Reality checks aren't just used in the hope that they will carry on in your dreams but just the fact that you are become aware of lucid dreaming and thinking about it through the day helps get you in the right mindset.
"Umbrella can’t stop the rain, But Make Us to stand in Rain.
Confidence May not bring success, But It gives a POWER to face any Challenge."

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 01 Apr 2012 06:10

Barakabomba wrote:I have started using a watch with an hourly beep to do reality checks. I am doing them regularly but I have been having trouble taking them seriously. I don't think I will do them in my dreams because I just feel very routine checking the clock, looking at my palms, and trying to push my fingers through my hands every hour on the hour. Is there a recommendation to make these reality checks feel more important?

Yup! That's exactly right. That's the problem with the "trigger" for your check. It's "too routine".

You want something that's a little more "random". Like anytime you look at your hands... or whenever you go to the bathroom...

The hourly chime just might not be enough oomph to do it for you. At the very least it should be a randomly timed chime, that would add a bit more randomness to it.

As for making them feel more important... that's mostly gotta come from you.
However, when you do your checks you have to really stop what you're doing and REALLY pay attention... then ask yourself some rather basic questions. Here are the ones I like to use:

Where am I?
Where am I going?
Where did I come from?
What am I doing?

The point here though is that you really need to focus upon each question and really get to the bottom of them with an answer.
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

apps

Postby apps » 02 Apr 2012 05:50

I use an app on my smartphone (android) called 'sleep check reminder'. You can set it to give you however many reminders you want, evenly spaced out or in random intervals. I set it to around 5 per day in random intervals, and proceed to ask myself the questions Ryan mentioned.

Idk if you have a smartphone, but the app definitely helps reality checks not become too routine as compared to something like a watch.

Axalto

Postby Axalto » 02 Apr 2012 06:43

apps wrote:I use an app on my smartphone (android) called 'sleep check reminder'. You can set it to give you however many reminders you want, evenly spaced out or in random intervals. I set it to around 5 per day in random intervals, and proceed to ask myself the questions Ryan mentioned.

Idk if you have a smartphone, but the app definitely helps reality checks not become too routine as compared to something like a watch.

Android, iOS or Windows Phone?
"Once you fix something, they'll forever reagard you as Computer Genious. If it reaches this point you're pretty much screwed." -The Oatmeal

apps

Postby apps » 03 Apr 2012 05:56

Axalto wrote:
apps wrote:I use an app on my smartphone (android) called 'sleep check reminder'. You can set it to give you however many reminders you want, evenly spaced out or in random intervals. I set it to around 5 per day in random intervals, and proceed to ask myself the questions Ryan mentioned.

Android, iOS or Windows Phone?

iOS Android market. Either way there's probably a handful of em you could find, pretty simple app

Return to “For Beginners”