First LD??! I would love your feedback!

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
conspiracy

First LD??! I would love your feedback!

Postby conspiracy » 31 Mar 2012 09:57

Hi hi hi!
I'm so excited today because after so much time trying, I think I finally had some semblance of a lucid dream!! Can you give me your feedback? I'm still not sure what to think. Basically, here's what happened:

Usually my dreams are all the same w/ the same feeling tone. 75 percent anxiety/uneasiness/bad dreams. This was different. Even the content was really unusual.

In my dream, I got out of bed (not lucid) and started walking around to quickly realize this wasn't where I was supposed to be/not my room, etc. I was curious but didn't think much of it til I woke up again in a different room-- a dream w/in a dream (that's never happened to me, but I don't think I was lucid yet, though there was a tiny sense of having had a dream within a dream). Also not my room. I started noticing more and more that weird things were happening. A big clock had hands that were spinning backwards, there was a photo of me as a child that shouldn't have been there, then it disappeared; I was tangled in blankets with a cat I didn't know; finally, I saw my old teddy bear and said, okay, this is not where I'm supposed to be, this teddy bear shouldn't be here. For a long time in the dream I was feeling like things were off, in a way that I never do in dreams. Finally I looked at my hands (as I've been training myself) and they were so weird-- fuzzy, changing, even iridescent. I said, oh wow, I think this is a dream. Okay, calmness, don't wake yourself up, walk slowly, etc. I said, I'm gonna close my eyes, then when I open them, there'll be a person there-- that didn't work. So I said, okay I already fly/float in dreams a lot, so let's try that. And I flew across the room and out the window and was going so fast through the sky! I was so excited and happy! (I am NEVER excited or happy in dreams.) Everything was black. I could feel my eyes trying to stay open so as to not lose what seemed like lucidity. My eyes felt like a dream-door or something. I said again, okay, I'll close them, and when they open there'll be a beautiful ocean. That didn't work either, but I didn't care cuz I was so psyched to be flying!

I have a couple questions, though. During the flying, I felt lucid, but I still felt foggy... tired almost... it didn't *completely* feel like physical reality the way I had imagined it would. Though it was def. different from other dreams, I really did feel like I was willing myself to fly. I've had non-lucid dreams about lucid dreaming before. How do I know this wasn't like that? What's the difference? It just didn't feel *completely* lucid and all-encompassing like the stories I've heard. What do you think?

Either way I'm pretty excited because I'd almost given up hope and this is the closest I've come!

LucidKey13

Re: First LD??! I would love your feedback!

Postby LucidKey13 » 01 Apr 2012 01:19

This was quite similar my 1st lucid dream in the way that I could float around but nOt change the scenery and it was still rather fuzzy! But don't worry the more lucid dreams you have, the more experience you get and they will eventually become more vivid!

The difference between dreaming about lucid dreams and actually having lucid dreams is that in a lucid dream you fully recognize your dreaming but dreaming about lucid dreaming you are aware that there is such a thing as lucid dreaming but you don't realize that you are dreaming - so you are not lucid. Hope this helps!
Last edited by LucidKey13 on 01 Apr 2012 20:49, edited 1 time in total.
"Umbrella can’t stop the rain, But Make Us to stand in Rain.
Confidence May not bring success, But It gives a POWER to face any Challenge."

Arcadian

Postby Arcadian » 01 Apr 2012 02:32

Congrats on your first LD! It was an LD from what I understand. The reason why it was low quality and "foggy" was because you didn't take time to stabilize it and make it clear.

For example, I became lucid last night and everything started off foggy. I Sat still or slowly walked around rubbing my hands together to create friction before I started to fly. Also, say "I want dream clarity!" Repeat this process until your dream becomes more clear. It will. Once it does, then you are free to roam around and explore your dream. Do some reality checks as well, and frequently so you don't get too wrapped up in your dream that you forget you're lucid. You have to establish this clarity early on to get the most out of your dream.

Another thing to realize is that sometimes dreams will always be clear or less clear. There are just different types of REM stages..some are heavier than others I think...but you can always adjust them to their max potential.
False Awakening
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii6DArXj2V0

Check out more videos on my Youtube page!

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 01 Apr 2012 03:58

Congrats! From your description, it sounds like you were lucid, even though the dream quality might have been lacking. The quality of dreams varies a lot, even when they are lucid. You can be fully lucid in a bad quality dream.

I use the hand Reality Check that you described and get the same results as you did. It's funny because I do these quite a few times per day and in the back of mind I'm often thinking "here we go again, of course I know I'm not dreaming." One time I was thinking exactly that and when I looked at my hands, it was pretty obvious I was dreaming. Completely took me by surprise. I gasped and freaked out because I was 100% sure I was awake. Unfortunately that woke me up.

I think there's a lot more potential for realism than you experienced. Along with a lot of other people, I've had lucid dreams that were crystal clear and exactly the same as waking life. So much so that I couldn't believe it the whole time I was lucid. But I have been wondering if everyone experiences dreams at that level. It sure is possible though, so keep going and let us know what the next one is like.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

conspiracy

Postby conspiracy » 01 Apr 2012 07:31

Thanks everyone, this is super helpful! I wasn't quite sure where the "fogginess" fit in, or that you could really be lucid in a dream that wasn't exactly high-quailty. I will try to focus on stabilizing and getting the clarity before jumping out the window, ha! And doing frequent reality checks-- good point.

It feels good to know that others have had this level of fuzziness/not total realism-clarity in their LDs. I think I'm going to go over some of the vids/lit about the levels of lucid dreaming, because I'm not totally understanding that yet.

I have friends who have definitely experienced almost unbelievable levels of realism in their LDs, so I know it must be possible!

I had worked out a plan for several weeks, writing it down and saying to myself: If I have a lucid dream, I will look at my hands, calm down, go slowly, and try to go to a beautiful place (the details of which I sketched out for myself.) So most of those things worked, which I feel good about, because I'd been getting quite skeptical.

Is it possible to only have one lucid dream and then never have them again? I hope not!

conspiracy

Postby conspiracy » 01 Apr 2012 07:54

Also-- can somebody speak to the false awakening I had? Because I don't feel like I was lucid during the false awakening... it was sort of a normal dream about waking up in a dream... I suppose it did play a part in triggering my eventual realization that I was dreaming. But are false awakenings in normal dreams common, or do they tend to be related to lucidity? Does this question make sense?

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 01 Apr 2012 17:25

conspiracy wrote:Also-- can somebody speak to the false awakening I had? Because I don't feel like I was lucid during the false awakening... it was sort of a normal dream about waking up in a dream... I suppose it did play a part in triggering my eventual realization that I was dreaming. But are false awakenings in normal dreams common, or do they tend to be related to lucidity?

You could have a false awakening and not be lucid, but it's more of a problem of course if you are lucid. I've only had one which was really strange because it felt like I was waking up in the lucid dream and I thought to myself "you have to get back into bed before you wake, quickly" So I ran to my bed in the dream, then had a false awakening. But to deal with FAs, whenever you wake up always do a reality check first thing . That showed me the lucid dream was still going so part 2 started without missing a beat.

lucidinthe sky wrote:I had worked out a plan for several weeks, writing it down and saying to myself: If I have a lucid dream, I will look at my hands, calm down, go slowly, and try to go to a beautiful place (the details of which I sketched out for myself.)

That's a good plan and should help. Getting too excited often makes you wake up from lucid dreams, but the level stability in a lucid dream also varies quite a bit. There are some that if you blow on them the wrong way it's over and others that are quite resistant to excitement and other strong emotions. You can get as excited as you want in those ones. Of course you never know. The last really decent lucid dream I had was very stable and long. I was completely excited about it, but it didn't matter at all. There was plenty of time to think about how strange it was that my body was still in bed while I was in this other world. The clarity and quality of the dream never varied. Eventually, I just got bored with it and woke myself up.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Return to “For Beginners”