Questions for Rebecca

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Rebecca
Site Admin

Re: Questions for Rebecca

Postby Rebecca » 30 Mar 2012 04:04

ThePower wrote:Hi Rebecca!

I had my first Lucid dream tonight (Kind of) what happened was that in my dream I partially felt myself in the real world and my dream movements were hindered by it (I felt my arms by my side and that I was laying down, only I felt it in the dream) so in my dream my mind was weird-ed out by that and when I tried to lift up my arms I couldn't. after some strain and kind of shifting between both bodies (it was a weird experience) I managed to be able to lift up my arms in the dream and when I looked at them they were almost see through and I couldn't focus on them. This triggered my mind to think hey! i'm dreaming! but that thought lasted only a few seconds and the only thing left in my head was the thought that I could do whatever I wanted (The correlation between dreaming and doing what I wanted in the dream must have carried over)but nothing was clear or vivid it was all foggy. I think that means I was only partially lucid. Anyways, I looked out a window and it was a blizzard and I wanted it to be a tropical landscape with an ocean outside so I turned around and looked back at the window and suddenly it was a tropic landscape with a nice beach and a huge ocean! I decided to fly out the window (because I could do what I wanted) but I couldn't I just stood there but then I thought about the window breaking so I could fly through it and suddenly it cracked open and when I looked out at the sky suddenly I was flying upwards and towards it! but as I was flying I felt my normal (sleeping) body starting to almost take over (my arms were stuck again) it took some effort but I managed to focus back onto my flying dream self but everything after that is extra fuzzy and I had no control over any of the rest of the dream (I think I just went back to normal dreaming) but (and I'm sorry for rambling about my dream like that) but I've read a lot of your articles and liked all the advice you had for beginners and I was really just wondering how to be able to not have everything be all fuzzy and more clear (I know you've said rubbing your hands together can help but that didn't come to mind while I was dreaming, I don't think I was completely conscious during the dream but I don't know how to fix that.) but I was also wondering how to not become overly conscious so that I wake up and go into my normal body (I think that's what was happening when I felt my actual body in the dream)

Cool dream, especially for your first LD 8-)

You need to practice increasing your lucidity, and thereby the intensity of the dream:
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/how-to-stay-lucid.html

Make it a very solid intention to perform those actions immediately after becoming lucid and doing your reality check. It will soon become a well-ingrained routine, if you keep thinking about it while awake, and imagining doing it during your meditation/MILD practice.

I also think you will lose sense of your sleeping body as you become more immersed in your lucid dream. Move your dream body about and relate to that. Don't think of your body in bed. If you get stuck, ask the dream for help! Such as "give me full lucidity!" or "let me feel my dream body 100%" This is just a way of solidifying your intention and getting what you want out of your dream.

Gerrard8

Postby Gerrard8 » 30 Mar 2012 15:01

Hey Rebecca, I'm new here to this site, I'm trying some methods and they don't work but I have just started and I'm not too worried, I can see the progress. I just want to ask some questions...
today I tried self hypnosis (or meditation cause I forgot the difference lol) and few minutes after relaxing and stuff, out of nothing I just heard a loud noise that sounds like electricity wave and I moved my hands instantly and fast closer to my body, it felt like a shock! Some weird stuff...
Another thing I wanna know, is if it's normal to forget counting and visualizing yourself going downstairs for several times? I pictured myself coming down from stairs and after a 4th/5th step I just found myself having some thoughts, and 5 seconds after that realizing that I've forgot to finish the steps...

Also I want to know why are there so many different tutorials to lucid dreaming, every one of them is a bit different. Like I said I'm knew here so I'm confused a little. btw. thanks for making all this stuff for us ;)

trouble8

Postby trouble8 » 01 Apr 2012 20:54

Hey,
When I lucid dream I feel like I'm still dreaming. I am aware that I am dreaming and can now act on this and control my dreams but my brain is fuzy and I don't feel the urge to change anything in my dreams except I always fly. I always remember these dreams when I barley ever remember normal dreams so what I want to ask are these really lucid dreams or are they just normal dreams with a heightened consciousness:?:
Are you a figment of my imagination or am I a figment of yours?

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 03 Apr 2012 01:15

Gibbie wrote:Hi there i am new to this lucid dreaming thing or not ... i don't know. But here's what i've been experiencing since i was very very young. I was walking and out of the blue this memory just appeared. and thinking"Hey i have been here before i dreamt this before...". The same situation the same air the same in everything. it's like the exact thing happen twice and i know it! I dreamt! and i am positive that i've dreamt it long in the past. I told people about it but they said it was just a dejavu. I am positive that it is not dejavu. I am 100% positive that i dreamt this situation before. I know i've dreamt it but i can't seems to recall when i dreamt it. i've told a friend of my about this and he is the only person until today that i think he understands me. So he told me that everytime i dream i should write down. But the fear that i have right is that if i do write down. it will not happen in the future. So i just leave it and let it forget and it do happen. So what i am experienced it is a lucid dream or just a dejavu? i am pretty sure it is not dejavu... but i still can't find the right words.... btw while i am typing this post([dejavu... but]- that part triggers the "thing" ) i just experienced that "thing" again. If i recall i had this same dream about 3 months ago. So is this what i'm experiencing is lucid dreaming or what? I am very curious to find out what is it.

I am sorry for bad English i am from Asia(currently at Singapore) so English isn't my first language. If you want to know more please do reply. Or you can just reply at my post:

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1164

I am sorry that i posted this twice in this forum. But i want to know what are your opinion and other's point of view. Thanks :)

Well... it's not a lucid dream, based on your description.

Lucid dreaming is, very specifically, a dream in which you are HIGHLY CONSCIOUS and AWARE. It can be exceptionally vivid as a result, and often you can choose to control it. It is not, by definition, a recurring dream or a precognitive dream or anything else you've described here.

When I experience deja vu, I always feel like I've dreamed it before. It's the only explanation that makes sense, especially if it's a new place (eg traveling in a new country). However....... I don't believe in precognitive dreaming, there's just no good evidence for it. And we do have a scientific explanation for deja vu: it's an overlap between short and long term memory. So when you're experiencing something for the first time, it loops straight into long term memory which gives the illusion that you've already seen it before, long ago.

If you are 100% positive that it's not deja vu (and sorry, but I would question this, the mind can and does play tricks on us!) and 100% positive you've dreamed it before, then truly the only way you're going to be able to prove it to yourself or anyone else is to to keep a record of your dreams, and a separate record of your "deja vu" experiences, and then match them together retrospectively. Although you can (consciously or unconsciously) manipulate the data to match, only you will know deep down whether the two experiences were exactly like for like.

Another way to prove you've already dreamed something before: whenever someone says "I'm having deja vu!" I quickly say "so what's going to happen next?" Funnily enough they always say they knew I was going to say that, but cannot predict the next thing. This is the most basic way we have of knowing that when deja vu occurs, we haven't really experienced or dreamed it before.

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 03 Apr 2012 01:20

Ikamon357 wrote:Ive had several dreams where I thought to do a reality check but I was not able to have the conscious willpower in the dream to get myself to push my fingers through my hand. Are there different levels of consciousness in a dream? If there is, then how can I heighten this?

Yes! Common question... 8-) Check out:

Levels of Lucidity
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/levels-of-lucidity.html

Increasing Your Lucidity
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/how-to-stay-lucid.html

Reality Checks (specifically the bit on How To Do Reality Checks and Become Lucid)
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/reality-checks.html

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 03 Apr 2012 01:30

Ikamon357 wrote:From your description of dreams, all the examples involved you being able to see yourself or it being more vivid whereas my dreams are vague. If I ever see any person in a dream, Ive never actually looked directly at the person. I just knew it was them. Things seem far off so there is little chance of a DILD, or MILD. Any suggestions?

I do tend to have a better chance of becoming lucid when I'm already dreaming vividly. But I can totally relate to intuitively knowing a dream character is a particular person - even when I don't look directly at them, or they are fuzzy and vague, or sometimes when they don't even look like they do in real life. The quirks of the dreaming mind....

I recommend you focus on activating your dream life before trying for lucid dreams. This would involve:

- Keeping a detailed dream journal (including drawings, identifying dream symbols, dream analysis)
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/dream-journal.html
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/dream-interpretation.html

- Meditating with the aim of building more self awareness in waking life (this is how I did it:)
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/lucid-dreaming-mp3.html
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/self-hypnosis.html

Continue to do reality checks as you mentioned earlier but don't focus too much on the specific LD induction techniques as it may be too early to make the most of it. You'd do better to increase your dream recall and dream intensity first, I think. It won't take long at all if you make this a daily habit.

Of course, you may stumble onto a MILD or DILD but this way prepares the mind more rigorously and will create more of a foundation for having lots of lucid dreams in future.

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 03 Apr 2012 01:39

brenden wrote:i have a question it is that i keep trying the wild technique everynight and in that i am able to reach the hynogia(i know the spelling is wrong :P) stage but im not able to hold it for long it just keeps slipping away i would very much want to have my first lucid dream so thats why any solution?

WILD is notoriously hard to master - at first.

My advice is to keep practicing. But don't try TOO hard or you'll frustrate yourself. Practice after a few hours of sleep - ie 4-6am. Focus on your body becoming numb/dense/weightless (whichever helps you lose all feeling of it). Practice the OBE exit technique. Visualize a dream scene.

Nick Newport wrote some very detailed guest articles on WILDs:
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/lucidology-review.html

If you were more experienced with lucid dreams, I'd say try Galantamine. My partner says he WILDs every single time he takes it because it ramps up his hypnagogia (and leads to very vivid dreams):
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/lucid-dream-pills.html
(Although for beginners, if you're using the wrong mental technique, it can lead to unfulfilling or strange/unexpected results. Please research this before you jump in.)

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 03 Apr 2012 01:41

Brandons wrote:Hi Rebecca, I've only lucid dreamt a couple times, but its very hard for me to not wake up when I am in them. I usually fall and wake up or something usually wakes me up and sometimes I try doing things once I know I am lucid dreaming like making things appear out of nowhere and it doesn't happen. Do you have any advice as to why this may be happening?

I have a whooole big section for you to read up: 8-)
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/dream-control.html

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 03 Apr 2012 01:49

SuicideSilence wrote:Hey Rebecca,
So I told my friend about lucid dreaming and what he told me was that he dreams like that every night.
but I find it really hard to believe, he tells me his dreams seem very real and vivid and that he can do anything he wants. And he told me that he thought that's how dreams are for everyone. Is it actually possible for it to be true? Were both of the same age,16.
And to myself I just got into lucid dreaming and I have 2 records of dreams in my journal. When I wake up in the morning I remember just parts of dreams like I'm in one place now and the next instant I'm somewhere else. And the when I try recalling the whole 'scene' It a lot like the whole dream is played in 'fast forward' in my head. Any help?

Yes I believe your friend!

Some people are "naturals". They've been doing it as long as they can remember. They have somehow trained themselves to become lucid whenever, it's just very easy for them.

It's not that hard to believe, is it.... Lucid dreaming is a learnable skill. Some people are naturals at playing an instrument, or playing sports, or having good memory. It applies to lucid dreaming too - and often this means they develop the skill instinctively when they are very young, perhaps 4 or 5 years old.

You can learn HEAPS from your friend, by the way. Try to mimic his mindset towards dreams & reality.

Over the years I have been surprised by how many of my friends have lucid dreams, although didn't realize this is what they are called. Some have lucid dreams every night, others just sporadically. They are quite amazed to hear how must the rest of us mortals covet this skill!

Re question two - Your dream recall is sketchy. That's ok, that just means there's room to improve before you can really get stuck into lucid dreaming. I just answered a similar question to someone else in this thread so I'll quote my answer below:

Rebecca wrote:I recommend you focus on activating your dream life before trying for lucid dreams. This would involve:

- Keeping a detailed dream journal (including drawings, identifying dream symbols, dream analysis)
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/dream-journal.html
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/dream-interpretation.html

- Meditating with the aim of building more self awareness in waking life (this is how I did it:)
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/lucid-dreaming-mp3.html
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/self-hypnosis.html

Continue to do reality checks as you mentioned earlier but don't focus too much on the specific LD induction techniques as it may be too early to make the most of it. You'd do better to increase your dream recall and dream intensity first, I think. It won't take long at all if you make this a daily habit.

Of course, you may stumble onto a MILD or DILD but this way prepares the mind more rigorously and will create more of a foundation for having lots of lucid dreams in future.

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 03 Apr 2012 02:04

Doctorjuice wrote:About 60% of the dreams I've written down have occurred in the middle of the night. If I decide to just fall back asleep, I will often forget these dreams. Thus, every time I decide to just sleep through the night, I remember significantly less dreams, and it's not uncommon for me to wake up and not be able to write down any dreams when I've slept through the night. Also, my dreams are still pretty foggy after 5 weeks of keeping a journal. How can I increase my dream recall?

Although I too have dreams in the middle of the night (occurring at the end of each ~90min sleep cycle), most of my longest and most vivid dreams usually occur shortly before waking.

If you don't remember any dreams at all on waking in the morning, I'd guess that you are waking up from a deep or dreamless (non-REM) sleep. Research shows that if you wake up during REM sleep, or immediately after, you are much more likely to remember your last dream.

In my course The Lucid Dreaming Fast Track I explain how you can experiment with your sleep and aim to wake yourself at the end of each sleep cycle, just briefly, to prove just how many dream periods you have each night, and how many dreams you could potentially remember if you wanted. Details of the course are here if you're interested in exploring this:
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/lucid-dreaming-fast-track.html

If you are waking up to an alarm clock, then you can set your wake up time to coincide with a REM period. The Singularity Experience is a lucid dreaming app designed to detect your sleep cycles through movement via the mattress and wake you during REM sleep. It is important to get a good night's sleep, however, but I think you can set this up to wake you during your final morning REM cycle, which is ideal:
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/lucid-dreaming-app.html

After 5 weeks of dream journaling, how many dreams do you have? Are they recorded in detail? Do you draw pictures? Do you highlight recurring or meaningful dream symbols? Do you interpret your dreams? Do you discuss them with others on waking? Do you meditate? Do you visualize? These are all rhetorical questions - I just want to make sure you're doing the task mindfully and not just because you have to. The more importance you place on your dream life - remembering and finding personal meaning in your dreams - the more vivid and memorable they should become.

There are also supplements that can improve your dream intensity, such as Galantamine, Vitamin B12, Calea Z, etc but this is really an interesting experiment for you to consider, not a permanent solution:
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/lucid-dreaming-supplements.html

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”