So Many Beginner Questions!

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Lucid-Dreamer

So Many Beginner Questions!

Postby Lucid-Dreamer » 04 Apr 2012 04:39

I realize most of these questions are answered by Rebecca in her articles, but I was also wondering, couldn't they be different for some people?

First of all, I have to ask, why are my dreams so fuzzy? Sometimes I wake up with a memory of a dream, but it's all way too fuzzy/foggy for me to remember all of it. Is this normal, or does my memory suck worse than I thought?

What is sleep paralysis and what does it feel like? I've heard that it's something like you can't move because your paralyzed, and I heard it feels...weird? I'm not sure...

Same with hypogonia or whatever it's called. I read it's like "a mixture of colors" or "images you can see".

And the closest I've ever had to becoming lucid was that my eyes were moving in a rapid movement, REM I assume? Well after that I got so freaked that I opened my eyes. And now, I can't get anywhere near that besides a wave of stillness/heaviness through my body. Am I focusing too much or not enough?

What am I doing wrong? I'm pretty young, and my cousin (a long time lucid-dreamer) says that I'll have one soon enough. But I've been trying for 5 months...what kind of "hobby" is this? Having to wait 10 years and only getting 5 lucid dreams out of it? I'm so confused...

And also focus. People keep saying, "Just focus, it'll come to you." What do they mean? I focus into the blackness and I make sure no thoughts interrupt me, but then an article said, "let them come into view, and be on their way" or something like that? I know tons of people dream differently, but these are questions I think I need answered or I feel like I may not be able to lucid dream. Does it come naturally? Do you have to work at it? :|

Thanks! I appreciate the help!!
"Dreaming permits each and every one of us to be quietly and safely insane every night of our lives" ~William Dement

Snaggle

Re: So Many Beginner Questions!

Postby Snaggle » 04 Apr 2012 10:21

Lucid-Dreamer wrote:
First of all, I have to ask, why are my dreams so fuzzy? Sometimes I wake up with a memory of a dream, but it's all way too fuzzy/foggy for me to remember all of it. Is this normal, or does my memory suck worse than I thought?

The reasons-you're waking up during NREM (non-rapid eye movement) dreams and are not lucid in them. This is perfectly normal as NREM dreams are not as vivid and are generally not remembered by most people, but if you were lucid in them you would remember them like real experiences.

What is sleep paralysis and what does it feel like? I've heard that it's something like you can't move because your paralyzed, and I heard it feels...weird? I'm not sure...

SP is a dream state inspired by the muscle atonia that's normal before REM dreams start. People experience themselves as awake and as unable to move, though they're really in a dream it's a dream variant very much like a false awakening in which one also thinks one is really awake.

Here's a link to Al Cheyne experience. He's clearly dreaming the whole time but thinks he's conscious. http://watarts.uwaterloo.ca/~acheyne/spdoc/SPAWNews1.html Skip down to "a personal experience" I went to SP forums and read through at least a couple hundred accounts, it was clear to me that they were actually dreaming and not awake.

Here's a link to Al Cheyne explaining it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7aAe0mqY9c

Link to EEG of SP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sARlrNoUt0

Link to Waterloo http://arts.uwaterloo.ca/~acheyne/

If you're PC challenged high light the urls by scrolling over them, then press the Ctrl key and then the C key, then delete the url you see for this page and tap the left mouse button and then click the Ctrl and V keys. for do the same thing at google.

Same with hypogonia or whatever it's called. I read it's like "a mixture of colors" or "images you can see".
Called "hypnagognia" or hypnagogic images (or usually HI here). When ones brain is relaxed and slowed enough dream images start to appear (HI, NREM dreams and REM dreams all happen in theta states. HI are not full dreams though, they are usually very simple compared to dreams. HI also happen in meditation and are used in the martial arts were one really sees the flow of ch'i. They normally happen with ones eyes closed, but can happen when they're open, e.g. yesterday I fell asleep watching DR. WHO for 42 minutes woke up in a delta state opened my eyes, entered a theta state and saw an organ made out of green light for about a second until I entered a more normal waking state (from sleep they're called "hypnopompic images").

And the closest I've ever had to becoming lucid was that my eyes were moving in a rapid movement, REM I assume? Well after that I got so freaked that I opened my eyes. And now, I can't get anywhere near that besides a wave of stillness/heaviness through my body. Am I focusing too much or not enough?
Your eye fluttering was not REM dreaming. What normally happens in sleep is that:first on enters NREM sleep; followed by dreamless delta sleep after which muscle atonia starts and then REM dreams. Doing WILDs one goes through the same thing, but skips delta.

What am I doing wrong? I'm pretty young, and my cousin (a long time lucid-dreamer) says that I'll have one soon enough. But I've been trying for 5 months...what kind of "hobby" is this? Having to wait 10 years and only getting 5 lucid dreams out of it? I'm so confused...

And also focus. People keep saying, "Just focus, it'll come to you." What do they mean? I focus into the blackness and I make sure no thoughts interrupt me, but then an article said, "let them come into view, and be on their way" or something like that? I know tons of people dream differently, but these are questions I think I need answered or I feel like I may not be able to lucid dream. Does it come naturally? Do you have to work at it? :|

Thanks! I appreciate the help!!
[/quote]

The basic thing you're doing wrong is that you're trying a too advanced form of lucid dreaming-Wake initiated lucid dreaming. Most people who can do these have had spontaneous WILDs and can see HI easily. Milam (the traditional Tibetan name for dream yoga) starts with learning to do DILDs (dream initiated lucid dreams). To start with WILDs successfully one normally has to have several years training in meditation or be a natural WILDer.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Lucid-Dreamer

Postby Lucid-Dreamer » 04 Apr 2012 17:26

Okay, thanks so much! That really helped! ;)
"Dreaming permits each and every one of us to be quietly and safely insane every night of our lives" ~William Dement

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 05 Apr 2012 08:38

Lucid-Dreamer wrote:Okay, thanks so much! That really helped! ;)

You're welcome. I wish you pleasant and lucid dreams.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Return to “For Beginners”