Astral projection

Discuss paranormal activity linked with sleep and dreams, such as out of body experiences, astral projection and psychic dreams.
dtommy79

Astral projection

Postby dtommy79 » 26 Apr 2011 21:41

I'm a little bit skeptic about astral projection. It does sound like science fiction to me.

Anyone experienced something like this?

jake

Re: Astral projection

Postby jake » 27 Apr 2011 00:45

I'm with you man. Personally, i believe astral projection isn't really our spirit exiting our body and walking around, but a dream in which we have ghost like powers. as far as walking around familiar locations in "spirit form" i think it is simply our memory's of locations playing there part in the dream. of course, i have never experienced this phenomena so obviously I don`t know both sides of the story.

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 27 Apr 2011 02:14

I'm a skeptic too - extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, ya know?

That's not to say I think people are lying or making it all up. I have had out-of-body experiences myself while practicing lucid dreaming techniques and I think that OBEs and astral projection may just be another type or variation of a lucid dream experience. One that originates from the position and awareness of the sleeping body, but which launches out into a dream body.

Many people will disagree with me on this and I look forward to them proving me wrong, because proof of astral projection - now that would be COOL. :D I love science fiction and to dream of paranormal stuff, but when it comes to searching for objective truth I don't want my own basic human desires (the need to believe there is life after death) to obstruct my search. I prefer to look for the rational explanation, rather than the irrational one, because scientific truth is more important to me.

I'm still as open minded as can be. I still want to hear about people's experiences and how they distinguish them from lucid dreams. I just don't automatically assume the paranormal interpretation, is all ;)

Mr anonymous

Postby Mr anonymous » 27 Apr 2011 06:09

Didn't robert monroe reckon it was real? I dont really know what to believe. It's kindof hard to accept that we can do something like that. It would be nice for something to believe in though. i'm real new at this stuff

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 27 Apr 2011 06:56

Yes Robert Monroe was an out of body pioneer, and I loved his first book. I also interviewed Erin Pavlina on the website about her astral travels, and she clearly distinguishes it from lucid dreaming.

I have real respect for people who are out of body / astral explorers. They are still adventurers to me, whether it's an inner journey or outer journey. The fact that our interpretations may differ is not necessarily a problem - considering we just don't know enough about these experiences yet to scientifically say what they are.

If you created a landscape painting, and insist it's a painting of a real place, but I believe it's a picture you created from your imagination... we can still both appreciate the painting, regardless of it's source....

Jonathan

Postby Jonathan » 27 Apr 2011 07:13

Rebecca wrote:If you created a landscape painting, and insist it's a painting of a real place, but I believe it's a picture you created from your imagination... we can still both appreciate the painting, regardless of it's source....

I like that way of putting it.

I'm skeptical of astral projection, but I don't flat-out disregard the experiences of others. I've read some stories, that if true, go beyond mere coincidence. Such as someone going to a friend's house, and being able to see exactly what they were doing, and then having it confirmed by a friend. If this is truth, then that's amazing.

I'm also skeptical of shared dreams, but again, some people have some amazing tales. I hope to learn more about these things as time goes on.

Donna

Postby Donna » 27 Apr 2011 11:25

I'm clearly going to be the odd one out here and have already made a decision to only very gradually post about things considered "paranormal" because I haven't established credibility yet.

Let's clarify. By "astral projection" are you guys referencing etheric body/real time zone projections where exit sensations are felt?

Jake wrote:I'm with you man. Personally, i believe astral projection isn't really our spirit exiting our body and walking around,

This doesn't really happen. As Robert Bruce asserts, consciousness remains both within the physical body and it the projecting consciousness. I can vouch for the experience of dual awareness.

Rebecca wrote:I have had out-of-body experiences myself while practicing lucid dreaming techniques and I think that OBEs and astral projection may just be another type or variation of a lucid dream experience. One that originates from the position and awareness of the sleeping body, but which launches out into a dream body.

I (mostly) agree with this. Actually, I think lucid dreams are a more efficient way to go about achieving adventures in consciousness. I also think that the dream fluctuations people often experience in their "out of body" experiences of their bedroom, may be a good indicator that they're in a dream body in a dream bedroom rather than their physical bedroom.

I have had the following experience, however, which muddies the waters a bit:

17th April, 2007
I'm dreaming I've married J whom I went out with to 18 or 19 years ago. Usually this is something of a nightmare but this time it's okay. Part way through the dream I develop a split consciousness. I'm simultaneously aware of myself being out of body next to my bed ("etheric" body projection?) and also of myself in the dream ("astral" body?). I'm doing bird pose/Bakasana (a yoga pose) in the body in my bedroom.

So now I've completely transferred consciousness to the OBE and I'm having fun balancing on my arms in the absence of gravity, content to have abandoned the dream. I start to wobble my arms to simulate that it's difficult, just mucking around, when suddenly the ex-boyfriend from the dream flops an arm down from my bed (where my physical body is lying) and gives my head an affectionate rub. I'm instantly awake in my physical body from the surprise of it. So, no vibrations but a definite feeling of shifting in and out of my body. A tad confusing.

dtommy79

Postby dtommy79 » 27 Apr 2011 22:40

If I'm reading you right then it's still "just" a dream. The out-of-body experience happens in your dream so we cannot talk about a real out-of-body experience, can we?

Ancient

Postby Ancient » 27 Apr 2011 22:56

I've attempted astral projection before, and been partially successful, but never experienced a full separation or OBE. I'm undecided as to whether it is truly an ethereal 'astral' body that is sent out or just a lucid dream type creation of the mind, and it will probably never be proven in my lifetime.

Anyone have tips for someone looking to have an astral projection/OBE?
Tool
Sleep
Portal
Gojira
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Am I Dreaming?--------------------------------------------------------- ?gnimaerD I mA

Donna

Postby Donna » 27 Apr 2011 23:47

Astral projection tips are similar to lucid dream tips. I don't bother much with projection anymore, I usually have a spontaneous episode now and then and more frequently feel fluttering etheric limbs, hear astral noise and see through closed eyelids. I think the best way is still to use a wake back to sleep method. I highly recommend using methods found on the Saltcube website. Also, Robert Bruce has free tutorials on his Astral Dynamics site. He combines a system he calls New Energy Ways (NEW) with body loosening techniques and exit techniques. He's very generous about giving away his materials. For a real no nonsense approach, you can download Michael Raduga's "School of Out-of-Body-Travel. A Practical Guidebook." All of these authors have videos available too.

Return to “Paranormal Activity”