Mind Quietness – An Experiment!

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Ryan

Mind Quietness – An Experiment!

Postby Ryan » 08 Apr 2012 04:03

(( As a precursor for this forum, I'd like to point out that I believe that doing things like a WILD benefits significantly from learning to meditate and quiet what I call the "mind chatter". ))

I have an experiment that I’d like everyone to try. If anyone would like to volunteer, you only have to do the following and report here via comment or on Facebook your results.

I was meditating on the train the other morning, during it I was attempting to observe my Mind Chatter as it was happening. I made a kind of discovery in regards to myself and how my mind chatter works in conjunction with my breathing.

I found that if I hold my breath, the “mind chatter” is expressed much slower in my mind. What I mean by this is that the chatter happens much slower (sometimes at a complete standstill) than if I was breathing normally. When I hold my breath, each word that occurs seems to have a long break in between and feels like each word is struggling to be said. Whereby if I’m just breathing normally the chatter happens at normal speaking speed with no struggling occurring.

I found this rather intriguing and wondered if everyone/anyone else is like this as well? Obviously, it’s ineffective and useless to attempt to hold your breath for extended periods of time in an effort to meditate “mind-chatter-free”, BUT, as a result of this, I was now attempting to keep the mind chatter at bay by focusing on the quietness that occurs between my breaths.

So give this experiment a quick try. Try to “observe” your mind chatter while you’re breathing normally and when you’re holding your breath and see if you notice a distinct difference between the speed of the two. As I said, for me the mind chatter was expressed significantly slower (sometimes completely stopped) while I was holding my breath.

Feel free to post your findings here or on facebook. :)

(( I'm getting some really great responses so far, in that people are reporting an almost complete ceasing of the mind chatter simply by holding their breath... I know we can use this to our benefit towards learning to lucid dream/project/meditate. ))

http://unlimitedboundaries.ca/2012/04/07/mind-quietness-an-experiment/
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

Peter

Re: Mind Quietness – An Experiment!

Postby Peter » 08 Apr 2012 08:54

I will breathe out longer that I breathe in and hold for a few seconds before breathing in again if I am have one of those insane bursts of chatter that just wont go away, but I will try what you suggest. I do have a bad habit of holding my breath during the day when I am concentrating but in hindsight that might be a good habit that allows for concentration in the moment.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Gooeymaw

Postby Gooeymaw » 09 Apr 2012 02:21

I have also noticed...for quite some time, that like you the mind chatter stop when I stop breathing. I've been aware of it for a long long time because I've tried so very often to make my brain shut up for a few minutes. I will do some more pondering on this tonight.

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 09 Apr 2012 10:46

yes Ryan, ones brain chatter normally increases when one breathes also when one blinks. with training one can shut it off when breathing or blinking or cheat and close ones eyes or partially close them, but if you were really good at it one could do it with ones eyes open and stop them altogether blinking. I can at least do it with the eyes blinking and breathing normally.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”