Does anyone have a sense of smell in dreams?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
lucidinthe sky

Does anyone have a sense of smell in dreams?

Postby lucidinthe sky » 13 Apr 2012 16:50

Maybe it's happened, but I can't remember ever having smelled anything in dream. I've experienced every other sense just as real as waking reality plenty of times. Has anyone experienced smells in lucid or other dreams? Does anyone else have this problem?
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Summerlander

Re: Does anyone have a sense of smell in dreams?

Postby Summerlander » 13 Apr 2012 23:28

It's not really a problem. I've experienced the sense of smell but not as much as vision and tactility. Vision and tactility are the most important senses for the optimal lucid dreaming state. Hearing comes next. I love the taste of food in lucid dreams. Smell is interesting but not that important.

There is an exercise in Stephen LaBerge's "Exploring The World of Lucid Dreaming" that might interest you. In wakefulness, spend a minute focusing on each sense. Absorb the richness. When you dream, you will be doubly aware of your senses and when lucidity hits you you will experience it tenfold.

You've got to remember that even in wakefulness the sense of smell isn't experienced as often. The lucid dream state will mimicked that. Vision and touch (sometimes hearing) tend to come first.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Gooeymaw

Postby Gooeymaw » 14 Apr 2012 00:00

I did a search in my dream journal and found at least one instance where I smelled something in a dream, but I think it's pretty unusuall, but I have tasted things many times.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 14 Apr 2012 02:31

Gooeymaw wrote:I did a search in my dream journal and found at least one instance where I smelled something in a dream, but I think it's pretty unusuall

Summerlander wrote:Smell is interesting but not that important.

I think both these are true and it isn't something we experience as much in waking life either now that you mention it. I think the more experience we have in life, the more capable we are to produce an accurate version of it in dreams. But smell is the least experienced sense we have. I have tasted great things in dreams, actually I still haven't had a better cup of coffee than the one I had in a dream.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 14 Apr 2012 22:12

I had the best ham and cheese sandwich ever in a lucid dream. Awww... god it was so delicious I want to go back there and have it again. :P
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Peter

Postby Peter » 15 Apr 2012 02:54

I ate an awful lot of fried chicken in a vivid dream right after a long lucid. I took this as sign and got up after waking and found the block of emergency chocolate that I had hidden in the fridge. I will check for smell next time.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

dreamerinmiami

Postby dreamerinmiami » 10 Jun 2012 03:42

i only remember 1 time in a non-lucid dream where i smelled marijuana and it smelled strongggg. jut like it would in waking life.. :shock:
What is your definition of reality?

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 12 Jun 2012 00:58

Summerlander wrote:I had the best ham and cheese sandwich ever in a lucid dream.

This tickled me :lol:

As for a sense of smell when lucid... I can think of some examples, mostly when I'm eating food. I think smell receptors play a big part of taste. But for the dreaming mind, that doesn't matter because it's all simulated anyway, it's purely about what you expect to taste/smell. If you deliberately smell melted chocolate in a lucid dream (drool) then you will smell it... even if your nose has fallen off.

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 12 Jun 2012 01:02

lucidinthe sky wrote:I think the more experience we have in life, the more capable we are to produce an accurate version of it in dreams. But smell is the least experienced sense we have.

This is a good point... I bet my dogs have really stinky dreams. :)

karen659

Postby karen659 » 12 Jun 2012 01:12

Saw this post on Facebook, and figured I'd reply here as well. This question brought back the memory of the one and ONLY time I can recall ever being able to smell during and OBE. The intensity of the aroma was exquisite! Here's the blog post that describes it:

http://www.karen659.blogspot.com/2009/10/112-physical-senses-while-oob.html

-Karen
"The more we learn, the more limitless the Universe becomes!"

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”