Math dreams

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Jack Reacher

Math dreams

Postby Jack Reacher » 06 Apr 2012 02:38

So im majoring in Mathematics, and today I decided to stay up a little late and work on some proof exercises, something I have little practice with. I then had your normal weird dreams throughout the night, not lucid, however in between I would be working on math problems in strange ways. In the morning before waking up it was when it got the most intense, but it was actually easier than doing it in your head, it was like the numbers and equations were fixed, I could save them in space and work on them.

However as I woke up I could barely remember the problem I was working on or whether i found a solution or not, and I felt pretty exhausted.

Anyone else have similar dreams?

As a side note now that I think about it, I once had a dream that ended with me playing with yellow balls, like that neocube, each representing a chemical equation. I would order and manipulate the balls around to solve chemistry problems, although I have never studied chemistry in my life...
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

WildCat23

Re: Math dreams

Postby WildCat23 » 12 Apr 2012 22:11

Neat, but be careful. Your subconscious may play tricks on you during this. I once had a dream where I needed to do math and I was thinking "Yeah, that's right, 13 + 12 = 17."
"I wandered home though the silent streets
And fell into a fitful sleep
Escape to realms beyond the night
Dream can't you show me the light? "
~2112

aamorim

Postby aamorim » 24 Apr 2012 04:42

It's reminds me some quotes of one the greatest mathematician ever ... Henri Poincaré

It is by logic that we prove, but by intuition that we discover. To know how to criticize is good, to know how to create is better.

Mathematicians do not study objects, but the relations between objects

If all the parts of the universe are interchained in a certain measure, any one phenomenon will not be the effect of a single cause, but the resultant of causes infinitely numerous; it is, one often says, the consequence of the state of the universe the moment before.

--Henri Poincaré
Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.
--Carl Jung

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 30 Apr 2012 13:40

I know I can't READ in a dream, but can I do MATH?
According to Wildcat23 you can't, and I am inclined to agree, but I want to test it myself.

And as for playing with your yellow balls... (pause for laughter :lol: ). Our minds are very visual. When I do math sometimes I don't need to know the exact answer, I can just visualize the graph and get the general idea. I think complex mathematics can be realized in the subconscious, but hard to remember or put in WORDS after you awaken. Language and math are too opposites it seems. And I know I can't read in a dream.....
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

LucidDreamNews

Postby LucidDreamNews » 30 Apr 2012 23:44

I have non-lucid number solving dreams every once in awhile. Sometimes it appears my subconscious is trying to work out a problem. Like you I find these types of dreams can be mentally tiring. Sometimes my dream figures have done the work and provide me with their solutions or discoveries. For example I had a dream figure try to show me a way to make money on the stock market. He went on to show me that money is energy. I woke up with the number 1.65 on my mind. I wrote the dream and noted the number down in my dream journal.
Best wishes,
LucidDreamNews.com

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 01 May 2012 01:40

LucidDreamNews wrote:He went on to show me that money is energy.

I agree. Money is the "energy" of society.

It's a little abstract but it is true isn't it?

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 03 May 2012 09:59

it does make the world go round.

Do you find you are exhausted when you wake up after these solving dreams?

Also I find I can read books in dreams, but not lucid dreams. In fact in one dream I was reading a book that could change the dream itself, and when I became lucid I tried to read the book to control things, but I couldnt.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

maxhues45

Postby maxhues45 » 09 May 2012 03:52

In regards to the person who said you can't do math in dreams, lucid or not, that's not the case for me. I had a dream last night (not lucid) where i received a letter from my late grandfather. Inside the letter were fifteen checks for 50$ a piece. I vividly remember doing the math in the dream and coming up with 750$. I did the math by multiplying 15 by 100 and then dividing that by 2 so that it would be 15 by 50. I woke up right after this dream and was curious to whether or not this math was correct, I then went through the process i did in my dream and realized it was.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 09 May 2012 19:59

I think math in dreams is easier than language. I agree. But it may depend on the type of person you are. I am not quick to learn new languages, but I consider math a language in it's own way. For example what is easier to understand between these two:

1: Fifteen divided by three times two equals what?
2: (15/3)*2=?

Math is a language of it's own, but our minds think faster than language itself. Does this make any sense? No? Good. I think I am confused myself but may be on to something...........

math can be done without putting it into words is what I am saying I guess.........

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”