Hypnagogia

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Gregor

Hypnagogia

Postby Gregor » 24 Apr 2012 15:58

When I start to enter a hypnagogic state, I never see the phosphenes that you talk about in your book. I do, though, have the sense that my body is getting bigger and also that I'm kind of "rushing" through space. I never get any sensory hallucinations, though. Can anybody help me induce these hallucinations or, if the problem is that I'm not staying aware long enough, how to continue to be aware?

Thanks!!

--Gregor

snorman

Re: Hypnagogia

Postby snorman » 24 Apr 2012 19:44

http://www.crunchyroll.com/little-nemo-adventures-in-slumberland/little-nemo-adventures-in-slumberland-unknown-587822
This movie inspired dreams in me when I was very young, born in the 80s, grew up in the 90s. It is a must see and is all on youtube in full length.

thomas

Postby thomas » 24 Apr 2012 22:05

Have you tried meditating? That is how I discovered by accident hypnagogic images. I will also tell you that they didn't start appearing until about a year or two later. Don't know why that was. I now see the phosphenes almost immediately when I close my eyes. They hypno images usually come in a few minutes. I will say that I don't always see images. Proabaly 50-60% of the time. Probably has to do with my level of alertness, how fast my mind is racing etc. etc. Give it some time and don't try to force them. Just concentrate on relaxing and let it go from there. Be patient. If you wake up at night you are already relaxed so try to stay awake just a little bit longer (before returning to sleep) and I'll bet you see them. It may just be colors/ geometric patterns etc. I didn't start seeing actual images and "movies" until a bit later. Someone else my have some other suggestions but that is how it worked for me. Do keep in mind that everyone is different.

Good luck.

Thomas

Gregor

Postby Gregor » 25 Apr 2012 00:48

Thanks... I have the book that Rebecca wrote on meditation. Is that enough to get me started?

thomas

Postby thomas » 25 Apr 2012 01:08

I would say yes. You don't have to have formal meditation classes etc., to be able to meditate. In the beginning I used a guided meditation - you can buy them online. It helped me to learn how to relax. Now I can get to that relaxation state in a very short period of time due to many years of practice. (without the guided meditation)

Thomas

Return to “For Beginners”