how to awake from false awakenings?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.

how to awake from false awakenings?

Postby goggins » 26 Apr 2012 23:10

I've had the experience of multiple false awakenings for some years now and generally have found it not to be too distrubing, just a little frustrating and at the same time very interesting but last night i had many, all with a very sinister undertone.

Does anyone have any advice about how to awake from them?

(last night I eventually woke myself up by continually trying to scream 'wake me up' at the top of my vioce to my boyfriend and eventually mustering some kind of noise but i'm wondering if there's a nicer/quicker way?)

Alternatively does anyone have any advice on how to turn scary lucid dreams into more pleasant ones? Some of the false awakenings turned into lucid dreams for a while...

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Re: how to awake from false awakenings?

Postby HAGART » 27 Apr 2012 05:05

I don't know of a solution and probably shouldn't reply except that I have been in the same boat.

I get false awakenings all the time. They never bother me, and it is just another platform to lucid dream from. Open a door and away you go.

But sometimes it is scary and disturbing and you want to wake up but you just can't! That happened to me once. I thought of what usually wakes me up and that is the fear of falling, so I jumped off a ledge, but I hit the ground and stood up and still could not wake up! I thought I may have died in my sleep and was in a different world. Eventually I did wake up, but it just happened on it's own. No technique that I used.

Other times I have a bad experience and I clasp my hands together like I am praying and then just feel my body get pulled out of the dream body and placed back into the laying one in bed with a jerking, thud feeing.

I'm not much help, but there are others like us. I don't get it much but it happens.
We all have the wool pulled over our eyes, but turtleneck sweaters are so damn comfortable.

Postby LucidKey13 » 27 Apr 2012 05:12

What i do to wake myself up is simply refuse to interact with the dream. I close my eyes and wait until i wake up or the dream changes (this usualy only takes a few seconds). Although even if you do try this you might end up having a false awakening again.. once i had a series of 4 (and they were identical). But now i usually just make it a lucid dream, in fact false awakenings are usually how i end up having a lucid dream! If they seem scary you could try facing your fears and telling your dream/dream characters that this is your dream and you control them or by asking them whats wrong/why they are disturbing you.
"Umbrella can’t stop the rain, But Make Us to stand in Rain.
Confidence May not bring success, But It gives a POWER to face any Challenge."

Postby goggins » 28 Apr 2012 12:30

Thanks lucidkey13 and haggart...will try out some of these things next time i have some false awakenings and they get's good to know I'm not alone :)

Return to “For Beginners”