Organic Food

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
Summerlander

Organic Food

Postby Summerlander » 23 Apr 2017 01:18

Stop buying organic food if you want to help the Earth. You will reduce carbon emissions!

Organic farms contain more wildlife than conventional ones and use more land as they yield less---causing more rainforests to be cut down.

Moreover, organic food is not better for you as it has been claimed in the past. Non-organic foods will still feed you despite the pesticides and enhancements.

There is no evidence to support the claim that additives make food less effective and the claim that organic food tastes better is also unfounded.

Instead of buying an organic cucumber that costs £1, opt for a non-organic one and save yourself 51p. Seriously! Do it. Do it for yourself and everybody else ... 8-)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

lucidé

Re: Organic Food

Postby lucidé » 23 Apr 2017 05:07

I prefer the original plants over the organic plants anyway. They are much cheaper.
If you are eating something a little extra inside of your fruit, you are probably getting a very slight amount of protein with it.

I could never and will never hurt an animal. Even if I was stranded with no edible plants in sight, and there were boars and streams with fish all around.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

amyramoon

Postby amyramoon » 23 Apr 2017 16:13

I look forward to the advent of lab grown meats, but it would really have to be a massive chemical process for it to become cheaper than traditional animal grown meat. I would imagine that the well established meat farms will lobby to preserve their businesses. There are many other reasons forests are cut down and other considerations concerned the maltreatment of animals, the chemical assistance of growing produce, that I think it doesn't matter what we do to avoid environmental destruction or negative health effects. We're all going to die anyways and the human world of corruption will not improve no matter how much we type about it. Many have gotten sick of traditional anxieties to devote themselves to comfort and ignorance. It's a decision and one doesn't even have to be too "evil" to make it.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 27 Apr 2017 20:15

I think a world where corruption is minimised or eradicated is possible. This could be achieved through genetic engineering or selectively breeding humans over time. I'm not talking about the abhorrent eugenic tactics of Adolph Hitler. I'm talking about a technology whereby all responsible adults get the chance to breed, if they wish, but with the proviso that their offspring's genome will be manipulated in such a way as to only express positive phenotypic effects (better health, high IQ, altruism etc.) I hope you catch my drift, amyramoon. I'm just raising awareness here.

My suggestion is the enhancement of the next generation. Whether we will make it is a different story. At the moment, things are not looking up. The chances of human extinction are quite high. I wouldn't bet on transhumanism or even your Lutopia, lucide. They are great ideas that may well remain unfulfilled.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 27 Apr 2017 21:21

Summerlander wrote:I think a world where corruption is minimised or eradicated is possible. This could be achieved through genetic engineering or selectively breeding humans over time. I'm not talking about the abhorrent eugenic tactics of Adolph Hitler. I'm talking about a technology whereby all responsible adults get the chance to breed, if they wish, but with the proviso that their offspring's genome will be manipulated in such a way as to only express positive phenotypic effects (better health, high IQ, altruism etc.) I hope you catch my drift, amyramoon. I'm just raising awareness here.

My suggestion is the enhancement of the next generation. Whether we will make it is a different story. At the moment, things are not looking up. The chances of human extinction are quite high. I wouldn't bet on transhumanism or even your Lutopia, lucide. They are great ideas that may well remain unfulfilled.

I was thinking that a dystopian future like this would happen. Also it was mentioned in this world, all people who have a mutation, physical disability, or a mental disability would be euthanized, their organs donated to the smart ones, and bodies used in experiments. Any fetus that was found to have a disability in the womb would be terminated. This would mean if I was still alive in that future, I would be executed, even if I begged for my life. There would be no empathy in this future.

So you are saying my multimedia creations are going to flop horribly? I really thought only one my multimedia professors was the only one to say it. Just for implying my designs are going to "flop", I am NOT going to let you see my animation when I finish it, since you really believe this.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 27 Apr 2017 21:53

Like you, lucide, I would detest the actualisation of the antipathetic dystopian future you've just described---which is why I suggested a more altruistic and compassionate approach albeit gene-splicingly proactive. This move should, of course, be carried out deontologically; no sentient being should be made to suffer. The existent handicapped should be treated fairly whilst measures are taken to prevent the further birth of malformed human beings.

I'm not saying Lutopia would flop. Like I said, it's a superb idea that could solve many of our problems. I'm just being cynical about our species taking such grand idea on board. We might not make it to the stage where we are able to create any sort of lucid dreaming utopia or any brain in a vat scenario for that matter. What I'm saying, basically, is that humankind might destroy itself before it can achieve Lutopia. I hope it doesn't. But things are not looking good.

There might be some challenges to overcome with Lutopia too. You might encounter religious opposition. The pious might say that God never intended for us to live in a dream world forever and that Lutopia is a sinful escape from the test of life, which is God's gift.

However, you may be able to argue against them from a theological point of view as did Johan Robeck in the 18th century. Robeck argued that one could legitimately escape from life via suicide. His argument was that, if life is a God-given gift then our Maker has given up his rights in such by bestowing it.

The logic is that, if you give something to someone as a gift, that thing is no longer yours---it now belongs to those you give it to and they can do with it as they please. Thus, we can reject life without fearing the incurrence of eternal punishment. He reasoned that life could be 'thrown away' so to speak.

You can follow this reasoning without killing yourself (like he did). You could reject this life to embrace another of your making and choice. Thus, you could use theology against the anti-Lutopian theists.

We may encounter many problems on the way to achieving our goals but we should always strive to surmount them. We might just make it ... 8-)

- Padmasambhava

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 28 Apr 2017 01:30

Summerlander wrote:
I'm not saying Lutopia would flop. Like I said, it's a superb idea that could solve many of our problems. I'm just being cynical about our species taking such grand idea on board. We might not make it to the stage where we are able to create any sort of lucid dreaming utopia or any brain in a vat scenario for that matter. What I'm saying, basically, is that humankind might destroy itself before it can achieve Lutopia. I hope it doesn't. But things are not looking good.

The Utopia I am intending to create one day is supposed to be a simulated VR system you can walk around in and interact with, not necessarily lucid dreaming, but it does have the same concept lucid dreaming has. I know not everyone can lucid dream every day and control their lucid dreams that well, so I thought if I created a virtual reality simulation that does exactly this instead, then my audience could automatically gain this ability through a simulated virtual world instead, not much effort or training would be necessary. Unlike lucid dreaming also, there would be extra abilities my audience could use as well, including being able to merge Lutopias or even look through government spy cameras (I'd have to ask a price with that one, since the only way to persuade the government to allow it is to pay them the fair use price they ask in $$. )

There might be some challenges to overcome with Lutopia too. You might encounter religious opposition. The pious might say that God never intended for us to live in a dream world forever and that Lutopia is a sinful escape from the test of life, which is God's gift.

Personally I would think the religious might use this as a temporary escape from real life, and would be thanking me for letting them escape real life for a short amount of time. Almost no one, religious or not, would refuse something that behaves like a temporary vacation away from the worries of reality.
I don't think anyone should think it is a sin to live in a dream world. First of all, a person cannot just live in that virtual reality for the rest of their lives, because as much fun as it is, there are real life urges that will eventually happen. The VR system is not exactly "water proof", and usually within about 4-8 hours, a person will have to leave the VR system anyways, unless they plan on dehydrating themselves, then maybe they can stay there a few hours more than that. Second of all, even if a person does get addicted to living in an alternate reality much of the time, I fail to see the problem in that, as they are not hurting anyone. Third of all, The religious if they wanted to, could practice their religion in a meshed Lutopia and could even create their own simulated paradise to live happily in if they wanted to, as Lutopia is as creative as they want it to be. They should be very happy living it it themselves, because that's what they always wanted.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 28 Apr 2017 13:06

In a brain in a vat scenario, lucide, people wouldn't necessarily dehydrate. I'm talking about a future where their brains and/or bodies are preserved by machines whilst they 'dream' a new life. I am pretty sure many religious people would object to this.

- Padmasambhava

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 28 Apr 2017 15:52

Summerlander wrote:In a brain in a vat scenario, lucide, people wouldn't necessarily dehydrate. I'm talking about a future where their brains and/or bodies are preserved by machines whilst they 'dream' a new life. I am pretty sure many religious people would object to this.

I don't think it would be a problem but from what I heard, there's a theory that the awareness in the brain is near "impossible" to preserve much like how the reproductive organs are impossible to preserve. In trying to preserve this, a person will just go brain dead, sort of like how they would during a "coma". Then there would be no point in preserving the brain if that happens.
If science is right, then the brains will easily be preserved in the future, however, that above theory might also be a problem in trying to preserve them

amyramoon

Postby amyramoon » 28 Apr 2017 21:47

Lutopia!!! This idea is something similar to an idea I had years ago, but not quite the same. Immersive simulations would be fantastic for the future. Sorry to butt in like this with my post, since I haven't fully been catching the drift of the current conversation.

I couldn't help making the connection:

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/year-million/

National Geographic is producing a show regarding the far future. It would be interesting to see what they of genetic modification has been done.

Also, I'm fairly impressed that some people can attribute altruism to genetics. I would think most would identify that as a socialization thing driven by nurture. In that respect, I agree with the natural aspect of altruism. At the height of emotion, people are naturally compassionate and caring, mostly due to a mirroring of how others feel mentally and physically. Regardless of what they've been taught, kindness moves people to the point of tears depending on the extent of it. There is always the possibility that a person decides to give up on these feelings or use them to feed a twisted desire for causing harm to others, or gain amusement from watching others suffer, but normally, with proper influences and lifelong feelings of acceptance and validation, most people don't end up this way. In the future, I'd imagine there would be a strong criminal justice system, unless we end up in a society mirrored on the A Song of Ice and Fire universe where murder is the norm. Nobody knows what will happen. It's a flip of a coin. Corruption can fade away or reproduce.

Return to “Off-Topic”