Maintaining a Lucid Dream

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
3cho

Maintaining a Lucid Dream

Postby 3cho » 27 Apr 2012 22:13

Hey everyone, I had my first lucid dream last night which was a really incredible experience. I was able to remain lucid for about 5-10 minutes before falling back asleep. What are some techniques for remaining lucid for longer periods of time?

Thanks

lucidinthe sky

Re: Maintaining a Lucid Dream

Postby lucidinthe sky » 28 Apr 2012 17:50

The most important thing is to believe that you will stay in the dream. Dreams are a product of beliefs so if you start to have doubts it often leads to the end. Exercise your belief by telling the dream to stay stable. Most people have success with tactile exercises such as rubbing hands together.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 28 Apr 2012 23:00

Try to stimulate all your senses. Rubbing hands together and spinning work best for me.
Dreaming is my drug

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 29 Apr 2012 20:33

torakrubik wrote:Try to stimulate all your senses. Rubbing hands together and spinning work best for me.

Same here. Most of what I do involves sensory amplification. I love rubbing my hands. Spinning works well but usually lands me somewhere else. Touching dream objects is useful too.

To add to this, do not be afraid of waking up suddenly while you are maintaining your lucid dream. If you do, keep still and you can lucidly return to dreamland. I sometimes apply the "separation from body" technique in order to do this.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

3cho

Postby 3cho » 30 Apr 2012 03:23

Massive thanks you guys! I will definitely keep all of that in mind next time I have a lucid dream

Return to “For Beginners”