Organic Food

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
Summerlander

Re: Organic Food

Postby Summerlander » 29 Apr 2017 00:49

lucidé wrote:
Summerlander wrote:In a brain in a vat scenario, lucide, people wouldn't necessarily dehydrate. I'm talking about a future where their brains and/or bodies are preserved by machines whilst they 'dream' a new life. I am pretty sure many religious people would object to this.

I don't think it would be a problem but from what I heard, there's a theory that the awareness in the brain is near "impossible" to preserve much like how the reproductive organs are impossible to preserve. In trying to preserve this, a person will just go brain dead, sort of like how they would during a "coma". Then there would be no point in preserving the brain if that happens.
If science is right, then the brains will easily be preserved in the future, however, that above theory might also be a problem in trying to preserve them

The problem is the ageing process. Perhaps scientists will be able to do something about telomeres at the cellular level whilst feeding the brain to preserve it indefinitely. Dead neurons would be replaced with new ones---which already happens throughout one's lifespan---and awareness remains as long as the brain is functional.

amyramoon wrote:Lutopia!!! This idea is something similar to an idea I had years ago, but not quite the same. Immersive simulations would be fantastic for the future. Sorry to butt in like this with my post, since I haven't fully been catching the drift of the current conversation.

I couldn't help making the connection:

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/year-million/

National Geographic is producing a show regarding the far future. It would be interesting to see what they of genetic modification has been done.

Also, I'm fairly impressed that some people can attribute altruism to genetics. I would think most would identify that as a socialization thing driven by nurture. In that respect, I agree with the natural aspect of altruism. At the height of emotion, people are naturally compassionate and caring, mostly due to a mirroring of how others feel mentally and physically. Regardless of what they've been taught, kindness moves people to the point of tears depending on the extent of it. There is always the possibility that a person decides to give up on these feelings or use them to feed a twisted desire for causing harm to others, or gain amusement from watching others suffer, but normally, with proper influences and lifelong feelings of acceptance and validation, most people don't end up this way. In the future, I'd imagine there would be a strong criminal justice system, unless we end up in a society mirrored on the A Song of Ice and Fire universe where murder is the norm. Nobody knows what will happen. It's a flip of a coin. Corruption can fade away or reproduce.

I think people are naturally altruistic, too---generally speaking, of course. This can be explained by evolution, too. Those civilisations which lacked altruism tended to perish prematurely. If you've never read The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins, read it! That book is more about how our bodies are the altruistic 'vehicles' for 'selfish' (working to replicate and propagate) genes than anything else. 8-)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 29 Apr 2017 02:33

Summerlander wrote:
The problem is the ageing process. Perhaps scientists will be able to do something about telomeres at the cellular level whilst feeding the brain to preserve it indefinitely. Dead neurons would be replaced with new ones---which already happens throughout one's lifespan---and awareness remains as long as the brain is functional.

Even with preserving young brains with people who die of natural causes, I can think of some problems that might interfere with the brain as well, because they interfere with computers in the same way. Viruses/diseases for example, if the body dies of a virus or something like that, then it could very well interfere with the awareness in the same way. It has been proven numerous times how deadly a computer virus can be in exactly the same way. Even with robots which seem almost immortal, if a virus gets into a robot, then depending on the virus, the robot's internal programming can also be completely destroyed from that virus, effectively killing the robot. Even in most future technologies, there is never any saving a robot's internal memory once it gets completely destroyed by a virus, which has been proven maybe thousands of times. So I don't think we are just going to have aging as a problem. Viruses, very specific damages to the brain, all sorts of nasty things. This is why I am wondering how they are going to get by not just the aging process, but viruses, when even our current technology cannot get past this on computers and robots.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 03 May 2017 00:54

It would probably be harder to keep viruses (malware) away from robots due to clever hacking. But I think it's possible to isolate brains in sterile facilities. Imagine an antiviral brain in a vat that makes a risk-free Lutopia! 8-)
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

DreamerMan99

Postby DreamerMan99 » 06 May 2017 22:07

"The problem—the technical problem—is that a large part of the human self-model is grounded in the body, in gut feelings, in inner organ perceptions, in the vestibular sense, and therefore you cannot really copy the human self-model out of the biological body unless you would at some point really cut it off, so to speak. And then you would maybe have a sense of self jumping into an avatar, but you would not have all that low-level embodiment, the gut feelings, the emotional self-model, the sense of weight and heaviness—all that would be gone."

http://nautil.us/issue/47/consciousness/you-cant-upload-your-self-into-virtual-reality
Good luck,
Dream on.

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 07 May 2017 04:22

This theoretically already happens with some of the lucid dreams I already have anyways, where I feel weightless and I really don't have too many gut feelings in them either. I ultimately figured out if I ended up in some sort of lucid dream while in the brain in the vault, it would most likely be based off of the ones where I am flying around to different places.
I am not quitting on my goal to not go unconscious, but to live in lucid dream indefinitely. You can go unconscious if you want, but that's not what I want.
An example of lucid dreaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW7ps_VSPkg (1:46 Is that me or is this me? "Am I still dreaming?") Simpsons example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3X1n5Yny3g

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 09 Jun 2017 19:46

You mean 'brain in a vat'? By the way, are you scared of fainting? :|

- Padmasambhava

lucidé

Postby lucidé » 10 Jun 2017 06:56

I am scared of fainting, because sometimes I end up having it happen in a very unfortunate situation. Due to a health condition I have which is low blood pressure, when it gets in the somewhat low range, sometimes I can pass out (it can happen if my sodium levels get depleted from the heat or from not eating enough). While passing out is shall we say, a pretty normal side effect of my health condition, most people don't know that, and it can be rather embarrassing if I end up losing consciousness in public, if I get caught. Like the time I got caught passing out in the middle of Disneyland. I got judged so horribly when I regained awareness by the people around me, even worse than when someone gets judged for having a bladder failure, and I can never live it down when it happens in front of others.
Who isn't afraid of fainting? Especially in front of other people?

one.

Postby one. » 19 Jul 2017 20:13

Summ, you little sophist bastard. This is not time for such nonsense, Do you Evan have any idea of the scale of destruction caused by 10 10 20 alone? soil quality is doping at an unsubstantial rate, What will you say when the Mycelium is wiped out?, you know, Them little guys that built the foundation for all life on earth???.

sean E by the way so no personal offense intended, Just trying to express my self truly, in my efforts to dismantle the flawed parts of your persona ;)
Pleas feel free to treat thou neighbor as thou neighbor treats thee :)

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 20 Jul 2017 14:08

0ne ... learn to write properly before expounding your jiggery-pokery. :twisted:

- Padmasambhava

24/7/365

Postby 24/7/365 » 21 Jul 2017 04:05

soil quality is doping at an unsubstantial rate

That brain will work fine to test the theory.

Return to “Off-Topic”