Organic Food

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
one.
Posts: 7
Joined: 18 Jul 2017 17:56

Re: Organic Food

Postby one. » 22 Jul 2017 19:05

That's nothing more than an ad hominem attack, My writing is poor, but my logic is sound.

If you keep supporting the BIG pharma/food/cemical CO. your ARE implicated in this.........
Last edited by one. on 23 Jul 2017 21:56, edited 1 time in total.

one.
Posts: 7
Joined: 18 Jul 2017 17:56

Re: Organic Food

Postby one. » 22 Jul 2017 19:07

No abundance of white sliced pan for the West is justification for this collateral damage.

User avatar
Summerlander
Posts: 4120
Joined: 22 Sep 2011 19:52

Re: Organic Food

Postby Summerlander » 23 Jul 2017 00:34

No, your logic is not sound, One. There is no evidence that non-organic food is bad for humans in general. And no evidence organic food is better either. Plenty of people live for a hundred years without organic shit. You are akin to a silly conspiracy theorist. (If this is a fact as observed by me, it is not an ad hominem.) But calling me a 'casuistic bastard' certainly is. Ignoramuses always project. :mrgreen:
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

jasmine2
Posts: 417
Joined: 15 Sep 2013 04:42

Re: Organic Food

Postby jasmine2 » 23 Jul 2017 01:43

One effect of using pesticides on crops is that they often kill most of earthworms in a field. Earthworms poop contributes greatly to the nutrient richness of soil, and earthworm tunnels keep the dirt loose, which helps plant roots to grow and absorb water.

Chemical fertilizers only replace some soil compounds, and fertilizers also cause harm when they leech into waterways.

Organic and non-organic fruits and vegetables may contain equivalent amounts of macronutriens, like carbohydrates, proteins, and plant fatty substances, however, there is evidence that healthier soil, which is emphasized in organic farming, helps to increase important plant micronutrients, which number in the thousands and are important for human health.

Also, a major factor in favor of organic foods is that the large, cumulative amount of scientific research evidence regarding harmful effects of pesticides and herbicides on human health, especially the health of children. Many pesticides still clings to fruits and vegetables after they are washed, and they also collect in drinking water supplies.

The following article reports on compelling evidence linking "chlorpyrifos", a widely used pesticide, to developmental problems in children. This pesticide id routinely sprayed on crops like apples, oranges, strawberries, and others.

- "A Strong Case Against A Pesticide Does Not Faze E.P.A Under Trump" - nytimes.com

Representatives for chemical companies often claim that, even though certain pesticides may result in conclusive brain damage in baby lab rats, the evidence of damage in young children is "inconclusive".

Well, ethical concerns prevent scientists from dissecting the brains of young children who have been exposed to certain pesticides. However, developmental cognitive and behavior tests provide very troublesome warnings regarding permanent brain damage.

DreamerMan99
Posts: 361
Joined: 27 Mar 2013 23:53
Location: In a world where nothing matters

Re: Organic Food

Postby DreamerMan99 » 23 Jul 2017 04:39

one. wrote:That's nothing more than an ad hominem attack, My writing is poor, but my logic is sound.

If you keep supporting the BIG pharma/food/cemical CO. your ARE implicated in this.........


You cannot claim logic, then without sourcing, provide an emotionally provocative image to further your point. This is like the pro lifers who use bloody emotionally fueled images to further their ideology.
Good luck,
Dream on.

DreamerMan99
Posts: 361
Joined: 27 Mar 2013 23:53
Location: In a world where nothing matters

Re: Organic Food

Postby DreamerMan99 » 23 Jul 2017 05:07

The answer to the world's food problem is not about GMO vs. Organic. We live in a world where part of America's food production could feed the entire world, but so much gets wasted, thrown away, left behind, etc. They won't even sell an apple at the grocery store if it isn't round enough. Think of how much food gets thrown away at the dinner table, restaurants, even grocery stores. When I was younger I worked in one, and the amount of food that we'd toss that was perfectly fine was disgusting.

The reason I dislike GMO's is because the current system pertaining to the "ownership" of the seeds and genetic material they contain. Super corporations should not have the power of the world's food supply in their hands, nor the legal rights to the only types of seeds that can grow in certain areas. Plants are typically genetically modified to provide better pest protection, better drought protection, and stronger immunity to disease. The problem is, microevolution can change what a bacterium can live in that it would normally die from. Therefore we get superbacteria. Bugs can evolve to better survive while eating certain pesticides, and we get superbugs. And to our water issue, the bandaid of drought resistant crops will only help us for so long. The bigger issue is overuse of water and the effects of climate change.

Personally, I do not mind spending the extra 10% on organic foods. Will I refuse to eat GMOs? No. A majority of the food I eat is not USDA certified organic. But I'd rather eat something grown with cowshit and bone meal and compounds that have been studied longer than something sprayed with chemicals that have no longterm human studies, fertilizers that are sucked into the leaves, etc. I also would rather financially support a local farmer which can help my community grow.

You need to remember that Monsanto, the corporation that is involved with most GMOs had funded studies to skew the results to protect their profits in the past with regards to RoundUp and it's effect on humans. They actually have many falsified studies. We saw the same thing happen with the tobacco industry. I am a man of science, but you must remember, not all people have their hands in our favor. Profit margins make people do bad things.


I'm a tad under the influence of a plant right now, and I highly doubt it was grown organically. Probably hydroponic. :D My apologies if this is incoherent.
I'm a little upset that nobody replied to my post on the first page!

Anyways, Summerlander, Lucide, how are you doing? I haven't been very active on here as of late. I'm moving to a new state and that has kept me busy.

I'm not surprised by the amount of pseudoscience on here. It seems to be par for the course on this forum. Hell, it would seem we are in the era of misinformation and pseudoscience. We are really in quite a dystopic point in our society it may seem. We have small devices on us that can access probably 99% of the information in the world, with answers to nearly every question we have. Yet we seem to be the dumbest we've been in years. Makes me wonder, how did the product of billions of years of evolution make us?
Good luck,
Dream on.

one.
Posts: 7
Joined: 18 Jul 2017 17:56

Re: Organic Food

Postby one. » 23 Jul 2017 15:34

Summerlander wrote:No, your logic is not sound, One. There is no evidence that non-organic food is bad for humans in general. And no evidence organic food is better either. Plenty of people live for a hundred years without organic shit. You are akin to a silly conspiracy theorist. (If this is a fact as observed by me, it is not an ad hominem.) But calling me a 'casuistic bastard' certainly is. Ignoramuses always project. :mrgreen:


Hers a link to get you started... http://www.motherearthnews.com/nature-and-environment/nutritional-content-zmaz09jjzraw

The research show that ''modern large scale agriculture'' produces much larger quantities of lower nutritional value food stuffs, that's why people pay a premium for veg that was grown with manure on organic soil free of chemicals.
Don't get me wrong. When i say ''organic'' i mean ''ORGANIC''' i have no doubt that 90% of food sold as organic is grown on soil that was previously used for commercial growing and there for will have none of the microorganisms essential minerals yadayadayada... to produce good food, that is if its organic at all. But to suggest that a carrot bought in Tesco's or wall mart is equal to one bought off a real small scale organic farmer is ridiculous.

I didn't call you a casuistic bastard. I called you a sophist little bastard. there's a difference.

and finally
You commented on my spelling did you not?, if so then yes, it is an ad hominem. That would be comparable to saying one letter in calligraphy is worth two in Bradly hand.

one.
Posts: 7
Joined: 18 Jul 2017 17:56

Re: Organic Food

Postby one. » 23 Jul 2017 15:48

DreamerMan99 wrote:
one. wrote:That's nothing more than an ad hominem attack, My writing is poor, but my logic is sound.

If you keep supporting the BIG pharma/food/cemical CO. your ARE implicated in this.........


You cannot claim logic, then without sourcing, provide an emotionally provocative image to further your point. This is like the pro lifers who use bloody emotionally fueled images to further their ideology.



I blame summ for provoking me into a fallacy war, im not proud of that :cry:

but it is true that there are defects and health problems associated with chemical usage, and why? don't give me the feeding the world bullshit. Im surrounded by farmers, I know how they think, most grow grass for cattle. while very few grow veg. problem is there idiots,
am not trying to being insulting, but there simple farmers who will do anything there told to if it keeps the subsidy coming in. hell thyve been on them so long they cant doo without them. which then leaves the nation's health in the hands of multi billion dollar Company's, and any one who still thinks that huge profits and the common good are both agreeable is seriously naive ''excuses the pun''

User avatar
Summerlander
Posts: 4120
Joined: 22 Sep 2011 19:52

Re: Organic Food

Postby Summerlander » 23 Jul 2017 17:52

Everything is chemicals, One. Some good, some bad ... for some of us. Your link provides a bad pseudoscientofic source. Yes, you did say 'sophist' not 'casuistic'. My bad for the false memory. But if you get yourself a dictionary, you will find that both words can be used interchangeably. Finally, as I explained to you before, when I pointed out your bad writing, it wasn't an ad hominem because it's true. But your sophistry accusation is an ad hominem because it's false. :roll:

So you are obtuse (as I have to repeat myself to you), a libeller, and an ignoramus. (All of them true.) :mrgreen:

Welcome back, Dreamer! I haven't been that active here lately either. Been busy and can't be arsed to sort out individuals like One anymore. It's just tripe. :D
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

one.
Posts: 7
Joined: 18 Jul 2017 17:56

Re: Organic Food

Postby one. » 23 Jul 2017 21:52

Summerlander wrote:Everything is chemicals, One. Some good, some bad ... for some of us. Your link provides a bad pseudoscientofic source. Yes, you did say 'sophist' not 'casuistic'. My bad for the false memory. But if you get yourself a dictionary, you will find that both words can be used interchangeably. Finally, as I explained to you before, when I pointed out your bad writing, it wasn't an ad hominem because it's true. But your sophistry accusation is an ad hominem because it's false. :roll:

So you are obtuse (as I have to repeat myself to you), a libeller, and an ignoramus. (All of them true.) :mrgreen:

Welcome back, Dreamer! I haven't been that active here lately either. Been busy and can't be arsed to sort out individuals like One anymore. It's just tripe. :D

LOL, it is ad hominem because you were attacking my argument against Pesticide ridden food, on the premise that ??? my poor English skills were evidence of my lack of knowledge on the matter of food/health??? yest it's TRUE that i have bad gamer/spelling but bringing that into a discussion on food while my standard is sufficient for you to understand IS ad hominem.

A sophist is some one who believes truth is relative, and will argue any side based on there beliefs whether or not they match reality. i know loads of people like this and you remind me of a few of them. ad hominem? maybe :)


Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest