When do hallucinations start

Do you suffer a sleep disorder? Find support on sleep paralysis, night terrors, recurring nightmares, sleep deprivation and more.
Jovan

When do hallucinations start

Postby Jovan » 30 Apr 2012 15:54

Hi there, it's me again.

So, as I already sad, I'm relatively new in the world of LD, so I had only 3 SPs till today and, fortunately, every time, I was able to fully wake up by moving toes.

I'm VERY afraid of seeing shadow people. Although I do know they are just hallucinations, the idea of waking up in the middle of the night with lights turned off and seeing shadow demons with red eyes near me is something I just can't stop thinking about. This is becoming problematic for me because, since I've started with reading W.O.L.D. site, I started to wake up in the middle of the night (literally - this morning I woke up for no reason at 4 a.m.) and when this happens to me, I become paranoid and even quite scared and I felt a need to open my eyes and check if there are shadow people next to me because I was having a feeling that they might appear every moment.

So my question is, do hallucinations appear after some time spended in SP (if so - do they appear quicker if one panics and vice versa), or they might appear right after mind wakes up and one opens their eyes.

Also I want to know, wheater I will always be able to wake up from SP by moving my toes, making "something stinks" face expression etc. or these methods become less effective in some cases and/or when hallucinations appear.

Please, write your personal experience here. Every single post and piece of information is precious to me.

And to end with, I have to say sorry for my bad English. Oh, and, to be clear, when I say SP, I mean on sleep paralysis, not on shadow people.
Sorry for my bad English. Not a native speaker. :(

Rebecca
Site Admin

Re: When do hallucinations start

Postby Rebecca » 04 May 2012 01:58

I've never experienced the fearsome hallucinations of sleep paralysis... so I can't comment from personal experience. I can point you to my research:

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/sleep-paralysis.html

And Ryan Hurd's excellent book on the subject (this will really help you):

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/sleep-paralysis-nightmares.html

I have had hallucinations linked with paralysis, but they weren't scary, more fascinating. They appeared within seconds of me realizing I was in SP, and I was able to free myself every time, quite quickly. This is just my limited experience - I'm not a frequent SPer, when inducing it intentionally I barely notice it and skip right into the WILD. I think there is a range of different experiences based on the person.

The most comforting think I can say is... shadow people aren't real, neither are the hallucinations. Why fear something that you KNOW is all in your head? Like a vivid dream or nightmare (ironically).

Lastly, there are plenty of other ways of becoming lucid without going into sleep paralysis, so if you're inducing it on purpose, try another method like MILD, WBTB, meditation, hypnosis, reality checks, etc.

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 04 May 2012 05:37

Hi Jovan

Shadow people and old hags are not the same. Old hags attack people who are asleep or in SP, while Shadow people attack or visit those you are up and about. http://www.shadowpeople.org/ Personally I've never been in SP, but have had a shadow person attack. I was so tired when it happened that I always thought I most likely had fallen asleep standing up. Hagart convinced me I was right with his post on exploding head syndrome http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1472

If you're not experiencing old hags in SP you should not worry about them until you do. Most people whom experience SP never are attacked by old hags.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

Jovan

Postby Jovan » 04 May 2012 21:34

Rebecca, thank you very much for taking time to answer me. I have already read both post you gave me, but thank you anyway. And about Hurd's e-book, I have already read the 10 top ways to wake up from SP witten by Hurd himself (http://dreamstudies.org/2010/04/29/9-ways-to-wake-up-from-sleep-paralysis/). I'm not able to buy his e-book though since PayPal doesn't work in my country :(

And your comforting sentence realy did help me to relax a bit. I mean, inside I knew that shadow people aren't real, but after hearing some people saying that they are real and that they "represent demons which tako over one's body while one is in LD/SP" I realy got a bit confused and worried. Now, I'll just ignore statements like that.

Oh, and, Snaggle, I realy don't want to read that site. I've read the front page and stoped. Thank you for trying to help, but I realy don't see how reading scary stories which are said to be true could help me overcome my fears :?
Sorry for my bad English. Not a native speaker. :(

okta87

Postby okta87 » 06 May 2012 16:34

i always close my eyes when i have SP and i don't "see" anything

nreid

Postby nreid » 09 May 2012 03:34

There was a point in my life when I had some sort of sleep disorders and that at one point, my body clock completely turned upside down. The usual time I should have been awake, I am drowsing off but when I should have been sleeping, I am wide awake. That made me aware of a lot of things. From those that are easy to handle to the more complicated ones that would require a higher form of thinking, hallucinations included.

Snaggle

Postby Snaggle » 10 May 2012 12:28

Jovan shadow people are suppose to be like ghosts, e.i. not usually scary.
"There is only one God and his name is Death.
And there is only one thing we say to death "not today"
- Syrio Forel

LucidKey13

Postby LucidKey13 » 11 May 2012 05:15

I once got really paranoid about SP and shadow people/old hags too. I went to bed one night and could hardly go to sleep as I was so scared! I feel so stupid now, when I think about it. But on that same night I actually had a lucid dream.. And since then I have never worried about it and I just try to steer clear of posts about night terrors etc. :)
"Umbrella can’t stop the rain, But Make Us to stand in Rain.
Confidence May not bring success, But It gives a POWER to face any Challenge."

Peter

Postby Peter » 11 May 2012 13:33

Thats great that you no longer fear them and also that you understand that you can seed these dreams if you read about them.
I had a one hag attack a couple of months back and it was funny as there were 3 attacks in a matter of minutes and I felt that each time the attacker was getting annoyed that it didnt bother me. It was just my SC at work and I had a LD after so it was cool
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Return to “Sleep Disorders”