Was this a lucid dream inside a dream?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Ivanna

Was this a lucid dream inside a dream?

Postby Ivanna » 05 May 2012 12:52

So, last night I remember dreaming A LOT. I had a good lie in this morning so that's probably why. But there was one dream that really stuck out, (my memory of it is patchy but I will try to explain it the best I can);

Well, it started out like a new dream, I was stood in the grounds of a castle or manor house I'm not sure which but there was a little girl in front of me and it was just like I realised it was a dream without any prompt, I just knew from the begging which is really odd. And as soon as I realised, everything became much more detailed and I became much more aware of my senses and I immediate tried to push 2 fingers through the palm of my left hand and it didn't work so I looked at my hands and they looked normal at first but then the tips of them started to look a little distorted and weird, so I concluded that it was a dream. I wasted no time at all in trying to do stuff, so I tried to summon up someone behind me (so that when I turned around they'd be there) but it didn't work. Then I remembered that I was stood just by the corner of the building so again I tried to convince myself that he'll be around the corner. When I ran around the corner I saw a trampoline with people on it. When I got closer I saw the person I was looking for on the trampoline but there he was again stood just next to it watching them all (except this one was wearing a neck brace :?). I decided that wanted the one on the trampoline and the other one just sort of vanished. The one on the trampoline saw me, got off and greeted me like an old friend which was lovely. Then he put his arm around me and I suppose we talked for a while but I can't remember exactly :/ . Just in front of us was a low gate with a magnificent beach below us (it was sort of like we were stood on a cliff top). I think he suggested that we try flying and I sort of felt braver because I was with him and I agreed so we jumped over the gate something really weird happened; these two massive computer keys just materialized in mid air in front of me sort of like giving me instructions on how to fly like it was a video game or something (I think the combination was Ctrl+Alt or something like that) but I just started flapping my arms but that didn't work and I ended up gliding down towards the beach.
And that was it. But I do later recall seeing my mum in a different dream later on and telling her I'd had a lucid dream.
My question is; was this a genuine lucid dream, or just a fake one imagined up by my subconscious? (if that makes any sense). I have experienced short bursts of lucidity in the past which all sort of felt quite genuine and I still sort of had a buzz when I woke up. But this felt different, when I woke up my memory of the dream was patchy and barley there like a normal dream. And the course it sort of felt a bit fake and rehearsed, like it was already decided like a normal dream. I know I'm explaining this very badly but I'm hoping somebody understands what I mean. I know everything I just wrote sounds like a lucid but I really am having difficulty believing it was real myself so anyone else's opinion would me greatly appreciated. Thank you if you read this :)
In dreams, we enter a world that's entirely our own ~ Dumbledore

LucidKey13

Re: Was this a lucid dream inside a dream?

Postby LucidKey13 » 05 May 2012 20:54

This has happened to me before! Once I had a set of false awakenings and I turned them into lucid dreams and in my last false awakening I actually thought I woke up and told my mum all about my lucid dreams! This also happened a while ago when I went to sleep in my dream and had a lucid dream within a dream..but it was still fun and I knew I was dreaming so I still think yours should be counted as a lucid dream, very cool how you made him appear on the trampoline around the corner! :) Not all lucid dreams are easy to remember though, especially if they are long!
"Umbrella can’t stop the rain, But Make Us to stand in Rain.
Confidence May not bring success, But It gives a POWER to face any Challenge."

Ivanna

Postby Ivanna » 05 May 2012 22:30

LucidKey13 wrote:I still think yours should be counted as a lucid dream, very cool how you made him appear on the trampoline around the corner! :)

Thanks for your opinion! I'm glad someone understood what I was rambling on about lol :) And as for the trampoline bit, I'm not quite sure how it happened but it worked so yay!
In dreams, we enter a world that's entirely our own ~ Dumbledore

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 06 May 2012 05:20

Ivanna wrote:But this felt different, when I woke up my memory of the dream was patchy and barley there like a normal dream. And the course it sort of felt a bit fake and rehearsed, like it was already decided like a normal dream.
Ivanna wrote:My question is; was this a genuine lucid dream, or just a fake one imagined up by my subconscious? (if that makes any sense).

When I read your description of the dream, I thought it sounded like a lucid dream, but the part about the memories make me think it wasn't. I have had quite a few lucid dreams within dreams and they have a lot of the same elements as a real lucid dream, only they aren't. One of the ways I can tell is the memories of the dream. If the memory of being lucid is the same as the "background" memory than I know it wasn't real. The memory of being lucid in a dream really stands out and contrasts the normal dream memory and doesn;t fade at the same rate. Lucid dreams are much more like waking life than dreams so the memories feel much different. Also, becoming lucid is not something that's "planned", like a dream about lucid dreaming. Becoming lucid is really a conscious choice that is either made or not made whereas dreaming abiut it is made to happen. Hopefully that makes sense.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Return to “For Beginners”