SPILD/OBE - A resounding success!

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
TransSonic

SPILD/OBE - A resounding success!

Postby TransSonic » 08 May 2012 01:02

Hi all! I've been lurking around these forums for a few months now, trying to get a grasp on a few different techniques to help kick my lucid dreaming into gear. I've had a few accidentally over the years and a handful since I began experimenting this January, but the other night I think I might have finally cracked it! Using a combination of several different techniques, I managed to induce at least four (and as many as seven) false awakenings in a row. The synopsis is posted here (http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1497), but I wanted to at least post what worked for me to provide food for thought for others aspiring oneironauts.

So here's the short version of what I did:
1) Regular reality checks during the day
2) 10 minutes of meditative breathing exercises before bed
3) WBTB after about four hours of sleep
4) Nick Newport's "Stop, Drop, and Roll" method
5) MILD repetition and countdown

I went to bed around 12:30 AM after 10 minutes of meditative breathing, pretty much just closing my eyes and listening to the sound of my own deep breathing through my nose. I'd gone out for beers with some friends earlier in the evening, so I took a multivitamin with a big glass of water. I set an alarm for 4:30 AM before climbing into bed and doing a little MILD (just repeating "This next scene will be a dream" until I dropped off).

When my alarm went off, I got up and went into the living room to fold some laundry I'd left out, staying up for about half an hour before climbing into bed once again. This is where things started to get weird.

I'd read about the "Stop, Drop, and Roll" technique earlier that day. If you haven't yet, definitely check it out here (http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/waking-sleep-paralysis.html). It works by inducing sleep paralysis while your mind is still awake, and since I'm normally a bit of a toss and turner when I sleep I figured I'd give it a shot. I climbed into bed, lay on my back and put my arms up behind my head, waiting until I got the unbearable "itch" to move them, at which point I dropped them to my sides. I then lay perfectly still, body straight, not putting my arms on my chest or crossing my ankles until the "itch" (the body's test to see if the mind is still awake before entering sleep paralysis) became unbearable once more, at which point I rolled over onto my side, giving my body "permission" to enter paralysis while I worked in a MILD technique. I counted back from 100, saying "I'm dreaming" in between each number, until I felt what seemed like a vibrating sensation and a feeling like I was being sucked into my mattress. I "woke up" a short while later, in my bed in my room, to see a trio of my friends standing there waiting for me and wondering what had taken me so long. I'd done it! it took me a little while to work up the courage to "get out of bed" (fearing that I would actually wake up if I did so) but once I did, I embarked on a series of false awakenings so vivid that at one point I thought that I'd slept straight through my alarm and missed work. While there were many different techniques I used to achieve lucidity last night, this was my first experience trying sleep paralysis to induce LDs, and I'll definitely be trying it again!

Here are a couple of other factors that may or may not have played a role in what transpired, I'd love to hear someone more experienced weigh in on if they were a factor or not:
1) I'd been drinking earlier that evening - Probably about two hours before I went to bed. As a result, I took...
2) A multivitamin. Probably loaded with B vitamins, which I've heard are a factor in these things.
3) Chinese food. Specifically very spicy Szechuan noodles. Could MSG be a factor?
4) Allergy medicine (Allegra). I've been taking the stuff for a month, though (and I've taken it seasonally for years before that) and have not noticed any difference in my dreams.

Hopefully I've finally found my method. Can't wait to see what happens next time!

Cheers,
TransSonic

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”